Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

He is better taking his time and getting the right people in the right job, bearing in mind he can only work with what he has got.   In private enterprise the Managing Director would know the board members had experience and skills to their name or they would not be on the board.   Tynwald members are more rag,tag and bobtail with a lot of them voted in because they were best of bunch and not for any personal attributes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Whimsy said:

Until Ministers are appointed, Harmer, Boot, Baker and Cregeeeeeen are still in post.  Still working their bollocks off for you.   Still Ministers as of tonight, and probably tomorrow as well.

You are either Mr Harmer, Boot, Baker or Cregie and I claim my £5

• Haha 3

I thought they stayed ministers until a new minister was appointed by the Governor. Obviously, they're lame ducks but they stay in place. Didn't John Rimington get flack for a controversial planning decision made between losing his seat and a new minister be named.

(I tried to search back using his name, but it's mostly previous incarnations of Barlow wittering on about how he got the role because he'd been a landscape gardener once.)

44 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

No they aren’t Ministers. Their posts were dissolved with the last house ending. They have no Ministerial remit any of them. 

I think you are incorrect ,they are still ministers until they  are replaced  ,and that doesn't happen until  the new boys are given their warrant and authority  form the Lt Governor  ,wait for the line up next week and the picture of the new boys holding their certificates !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

No I’m not incorrect at all.

Yes you are.  The current Ministers remain in position until replaced.  If one of them resigns another has to take over the post temporarily (so Quayle has been DfE Minister since July when Skelly became President).  They even get mentioned in press releases as the Minister.   Cannan will currently be both Chief Minister (having been formally appointed by the Governor) and Treasury Minister.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Omobono said:

I think you are incorrect ,they are still ministers until they  are replaced  ,and that doesn't happen until  the new boys are given their warrant and authority  form the Lt Governor  ,wait for the line up next week and the picture of the new boys holding their certificates !

New boys? New boys??? Let's hope this time around it's new boys and girls, rather than just a new old boys club.

Although I would prefer new men and women. Semantics I know, but I get fed up with grown women constantly being referred to as girls, much more often than men are referred to as boys. It's one of my pet peeves.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zarley said:

New boys? New boys??? Let's hope this time around it's new boys and girls, rather than just a new old boys club.

Although I would prefer new men and women. Semantics I know, but I get fed up with grown women constantly being referred to as girls, much more often than men are referred to as boys. It's one of my pet peeves.

No " Hey boy" for you then

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes you are.  The current Ministers remain in position until replaced.  If one of them resigns another has to take over the post temporarily (so Quayle has been DfE Minister since July when Skelly became President).  They even get mentioned in press releases as the Minister.   Cannan will currently be both Chief Minister (having been formally appointed by the Governor) and Treasury Minister.

Roger (as always) is correct as I understand it. As an example, Manx Radio had Allinson on this morning in his present capacity as Minister for DESC, advising that he supported Ballakermeen regarding pupils staying at home because of staff illness.

• Like 1

The new Council of Ministers has been revealed.

It is as follows: 

• Kate Lord-Brennan MHK has been appointed as Minister for the Cabinet Office
  • Dr Alex Allinson MHK has been appointed as Minister for Enterprise
  • Julie Edge MHK has been appointed as Minister for Education, Sport and Culture
  • Clare Barber MHK has been appointed as Minister for Environment, Food and Agriculture
  • Lawrie Hooper MHK has been appointed as Minister for Health and Social Care
  • Tim Crookall MHK has been appointed as Minister for Infrastructure
  • Jane Poole-Wilson MHK has been appointed as Minister for Justice and Home Affairs
  • David Ashford MHK has been appointed as Minister for the Treasury
  • Thanks 1