Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Only Hooper and Allinson voted for Allinson in the CM election.  All three ex-MLCs are included and Lord-Brennan appears to have been given the Cabinet Office rather than just the powerless Policy and Resources title, but we'll have to wait to see how that works in practice.  Of the non-newbies nothing for Thomas (perhaps refused), Watterson and Caine (ruled themselves out), Callister, Moorhouse (another refuser?) Corlett or Christian.  Though I would expect the Board Chairs from those groups.

Edge has clearly wanted DESC for some time, though I wasn't sure her health situation allowed it (she participated in Tuesday's election remotely).  It will be interesting to see what Allinson does with DfE, hopefully more than Skelly could manage.  Ashford will like being Treasury Minister as he can spend his time sounding important when others tell him what to do.  I can't see the "Spend, spend spend" culture being changed.

• Like 1

Mrs Poole-Wilson will also deputise for the Chief Minister should he be unavailable.

Daphne Cain MHK will chair the Climate Change Transformation Board and Chris Thomas MHK will chair a new Housing and Community Board.

The Chief Minister continued: “I have consulted with members of Tynwald in recent days, listening to their views, ideas and suggestions.  I want to draw on the collective will of every member of Tynwald and work together to improve the lives of the people of our Island community.

“There are a number of immediate challenges we face, such as energy pricing and the COVID-19 pandemic as we enter the winter months.  But we must also focus on the longer term.  With my Tynwald colleagues, we have already started work on developing a five year Island Plan to deliver a better future for all.”

Departmental memberships and appointments to statutory boards will be announced in due course.

30 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Only Hooper and Allinson voted for Allinson in the CM election.  All three ex-MLCs are included and Lord-Brennan appears to have been given the Cabinet Office rather than just the powerless Policy and Resources title, but we'll have to wait to see how that works in practice.  Of the non-newbies nothing for Thomas (perhaps refused), Watterson and Caine (ruled themselves out), Callister, Moorhouse (another refuser?) Corlett or Christian.  Though I would expect the Board Chairs from those groups.

Edge has clearly wanted DESC for some time, though I wasn't sure her health situation allowed it (she participated in Tuesday's election remotely).  It will be interesting to see what Allinson does with DfE, hopefully more than Skelly could manage.  Ashford will like being Treasury Minister as he can spend his time sounding important when others tell him what to do.  I can't see the "Spend, spend spend" culture being changed.

I can

The higher ambition pathway will be unaffordable, as will putting an end to 'parasitic inequalities'

God knows what the good doctor will bring to Enterprise

35 minutes ago, Will Halsall said:

Tim Crookall MHK has been appointed as Minister for Infrastructure

Interesting call, he is back working with Nick Black again after a 9yr break, it will all end in tears!

And rest assured they will not be NBs, how the f**k does this fellow get away with making a complete bollocks of everything he puts his name to? he appears to do whatever he likes and nobody seem's to care. My main concern now is the Liverpool terminal with Crookall at DOI and Ashford in charge of the purse strings the future is looking rosy for PP as I foresee a large increase in cost's associated with this project. I just realised DA was a project manager before he became a politician so have been worrying needlessly, anybody know of any projects he has managed? just to ease my concerns.

Since Allinson makes Corbyn look right wing it will  be a total disaster to have someone of that persuasion at "Enterprise"

This is a department which was set up to help private business but has developed into a gov money funded way for the civil service to steal ideas and put private businesses out of work by playing at being businessmen at our expense.

You could not make it up, for example see the new, recently took over IOM Employers federation, it was run and self funded by the construction industry.

It was took over on the quiet by government and now seems to do nothing other than run courses that encourage cuddles  and talking, not doing,  all round.

A few of my mates used to be well into the IOM Employers federation, not now, its just another gov department that the first thing it did was setup in more expensive offices nearer the centre of Douglas.

It offers courses on stuff that your average builder cant even pronounce, never mind spell. From what I hear only the staff go to these "events" I cant imagine it is self funded anymore as it seems to have a lot of "Officers" including a "CEO".................

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Sad 1

No it was never set up to help existing private business per se, the intention was to develop the economy

& developing the economy is still necessary - DfE couldn't do it [tho' DigitalOM has shown some considerable promise], but Treasury didn't know how to do it so it has outsourced the issue to KPMG who are coming back saying Treasury doesn't have much useful data

Putting in a very left wing doctor with no commercial experience other than being a partner in a medical practice is a bizarre move, perhaps to keep a political opponent busy

Edited by SleepyJoe
  • Sad 1

... or Allinson has made it his business only to take on a department less in the public eye than the big ones, like Treasury, Infrastructure and DHSC. As the Chief Minister runner-up, you might have thought he'd be champing at the bit for one of these roles. I suspect he knows all of the aforementioned run the risk of poisoning the well for his aspirations at next election.

4 hours ago, Augustus said:

... or Allinson has made it his business only to take on a department less in the public eye than the big ones, like Treasury, Infrastructure and DHSC. As the Chief Minister runner-up, you might have thought he'd be champing at the bit for one of these roles. I suspect he knows all of the aforementioned run the risk of poisoning the well for his aspirations at next election.

Perfect for Enterprise, as it’s all about helping people to make bread.

11 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

No it was never set up to help existing private business per se, the intention was to develop the economy

& developing the economy is still necessary - DfE couldn't do it [tho' DigitalOM has shown some considerable promise], but Treasury didn't know how to do it so it has outsourced the issue to KPMG who are coming back saying Treasury doesn't have much useful data

Putting in a very left wing doctor with no commercial experience other than being a partner in a medical practice is a bizarre move, perhaps to keep a political opponent busy

Has Digital really shown promise?

Info I have is a lot of snake oil sales but not much actually happening

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

If I remember correctly it was set up after the reduction in the VAT share. It was a classic Allan Bell manoeuvre who was Treasury Minister at the time in that by splitting and becoming the Minister for Enterprise he avoided as Treasury Minister he avoided having to make any tough decisions re the VAT cut or be the face of bad news. Rather as Minister for Enterprise he would basically only have goods news to offer. 

I posted in the Chief Minister thread how poorly resourced and staffed IoM Finance is compared to their Jersey counterparts so expecting great results when our competitors are blowing us out of the water in terms of the resources they are putting into it is, in my view unrealistic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1