Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, 747-400 said:

Agree 100%.

So who would you like to see in the running?

I think it'll be between Allinson and Cannan with Thomas as an outsider.

Having predicted that, it counts for nothing as I never thought I'd see Skelly as President in anybody's lifetime....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Having predicted that, it counts for nothing as I never thought I'd see Skelly as President in anybody's lifetime....

Was he put there to prevent the other applicant I wonder.......

If so, it was the wrong move.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, wrighty said:

He said it in response to my question at the Manx Radio Question Time thing last Tuesday. 

about 34 minutes in

He again said he cried for democracy when HQ became CM

So many statements in there about mandates from the people - to me it's really the policy programme that must have a public mandate. I'm quite happy for the House of Keys to choose one of their number they think the best to ensure the programme the people support is implemented, & I don't care if it's the member with the lowest number of constituency votes 

Edited by SleepyJoe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

I think it'll be between Allinson and Cannan with Thomas as an outsider.

Thomas has shot himself in the foot as having very clearly stated that that the CM should be elected from one of the 12 who topped the poll in each constituency he would like a bit of a hypocrite to change his position when he came 2nd. I think he also said that the next CM should from one of the 9 people in the last council of ministers.

I actually don't agree with him on either point but it makes it very difficult for him to let his name go forward, at least in a first round of voting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 747-400 said:

Agree 100%.

So who would you like to see in the running?

I don’t have much knowledge about the two new MLCs. I think it needs to be someone with some experience and intelligence who has some strength of character and opinion, who won’t be the lackey of the Chief Secretary and CEOs. I appreciate that these are normally attributes that frighten other MHKs but they really ought to avoid another duffer. Given all that, my choice would be Alf Cannan. 
I know some might put Allison up for it but I really don’t get that at all. We need to put the Island first and foremost and keep pet causes and egos in their rightful place. 

Edited by joebean
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, joebean said:

I don’t have much knowledge about the two new MLCs. I think it needs to be someone with some experience and intelligence who has some strength of character and opinion, who won’t be the lackey of the Chief Secretary and CEOs. I appreciate that these are normally attributes that frighten other MHKs but they really ought to avoid another duffer. Given all that, my choice would be Alf Cannan. 
I know some might put Allison up for it but I really don’t get that at all. We need to put the Island first and foremost and keep pet causes and egos in their rightful place. 

With most of Quayle CoMin retired or kicked out, what public mandate would Mr Cannan have to be the next chief minister?

2 hours ago, joebean said:

Alf Cannan hardly put the frighteners up Chief Secretary or the CEOs last time. He's very much part of the status. Want nothing to change or things to get a little tougher vote Cannan. Want change vote for someone else.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lost Login said:

Thomas has shot himself in the foot as having very clearly stated that that the CM should be elected from one of the 12 who topped the poll in each constituency he would like a bit of a hypocrite to change his position when he came 2nd. I think he also said that the next CM should from one of the 9 people in the last council of ministers.

I actually don't agree with him on either point but it makes it very difficult for him to let his name go forward, at least in a first round of voting.

Having departed from the last Council of Ministers I'd be astonished if Mr Thomas believes the next first minister should be one of the surviving members of it 

The electorate I'd say would prefer someone not associated with it

55 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Alf Cannan hardly put the frighteners up Chief Secretary or the CEOs last time. He's very much part of the status. Want nothing to change or things to get a little tougher vote Cannan. Want change vote for someone else.

Maybe but I do think that in his own Government he would step up to the plate. It wouldn’t be a revolution, but we don’t need that. We need a few solid reforms, performance management, a few targets and action to cut waste. We also need someone to recognise and exploit new opportunities. Not one candidate is perfect but I think he could lead a team to achieve those objectives. I suspect, however a compromise candidate will emerge and we will see the same results all over again. It’s what they do. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Having departed from the last Council of Ministers I'd be astonished if Mr Thomas believes the next first minister should be one of the surviving members of it 

The electorate I'd say would prefer someone not associated with it

I think he meant ministerial experience, not necessarily last CoMin. But combining this with his ‘First in the constituency’ condition, isn’t he left with a choice of Alf Cannan and nobody else? David Ashford has said he’s not interested, Alex and CT himself came second, and I assume being speaker and not a minister also rules JW out in Chris Thomas’s mind.  

Unless I’ve forgotten someone, Vulcan logic dictates CT supports Alf!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I think he meant ministerial experience, not necessarily last CoMin. But combining this with his ‘First in the constituency’ condition, isn’t he left with a choice of Alf Cannan and nobody else? David Ashford has said he’s not interested, Alex and CT himself came second, and I assume being speaker and not a minister also rules JW out in Chris Thomas’s mind.  

Unless I’ve forgotten someone, Vulcan logic dictates CT supports Alf!

JW has ministerial experience.