Congratulations Stu Peters

Max Power

13 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

No, we just need to 'educate ourselves' until we agree.

I see living as a life long learning exercise.  If you don't like education you can try ignorance, I guess.  Am I wrong to expect more than this from an MHK?  I expect MHKs to expound the virtues of education.  Leadership (one of the core values) involves setting a good example.  A good example would be to encourage people to seek education, especially our young.

24 minutes ago, Someone Who Cares said:

I see living as a life long learning exercise.  If you don't like education you can try ignorance, I guess.  Am I wrong to expect more than this from an MHK?  I expect MHKs to expound the virtues of education.  Leadership (one of the core values) involves setting a good example.  A good example would be to encourage people to seek education, especially our young.

I see people use that phrase educate yourself and what they mean is your opinion has to be tge same as mine.

We seem to live in a society now where you're not allowed to have differing views, it used to be people held different views maybe talked about then went their separate ways. Now if you disagree with something some people take it as s personal affront.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I see people use that phrase educate yourself and what they mean is your opinion has to be tge same as mine.

We seem to live in a society now where you're not allowed to have differing views, it used to be people held different views maybe talked about then went their separate ways. Now if you disagree with something some people take it as s personal affront.

Really?  I have not told anyone to educate themselves.  I have seen many on this site take that inference though.  I accept peoples' rights to hold differing views.  My view though is that I expect an MHK to set a good example to the young of our Island and not to decry education.  You may have a different view, but if this Island is to diversify economically, it will need a well educated work force.  If Stu Peters wants to be judged on his actions now that he has been elected, he is not off to a good start in my opinion.

25 minutes ago, Someone Who Cares said:

Really?  I have not told anyone to educate themselves.  I have seen many on this site take that inference though. 

Didn't you?

On 9/25/2021 at 1:19 PM, Someone Who Cares said:

Please educate yourself and visit the BLM site. 

"Educate yourself" can have two interpretations - "You have a set opinion so it is pointless and a waste of time engaging with you.  You need to understand the issues from a source other than me. Come back to me when you have informed yourself and I will engage."

Or

"I have a set opinion so it is pointless engaging with you. I don't want to understand the issues from your perspective.  Come back to me when you have come round to my way of thinking."

Sadly, both interpretations can be seen at play. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Please educate yourself and visit the BLM site. 

I stand corrected.  I apologise.  What I meant was "visit the site as you had misrepresented it and were spreading lies about it".  A poor choice of words.  I was not trying to suggest that they should visit the site and take everything there at face value.  I was trying to point out though, that the site does no contain any content inciting violence against whites and rather than spread lies that it did, perhaps they should visit it first.  I'll put this down as another learning experience for me.  I will try and do better.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Someone Who Cares said:

I stand corrected.  I apologise.  What I meant was "visit the site as you had misrepresented it and were spreading lies about it".  A poor choice of words.  I was not trying to suggest that they should visit the site and take everything there at face value.  I was trying to point out though, that the site does no contain any content inciting violence against whites and rather than spread lies that it did, perhaps they should visit it first.  I'll put this down as another learning experience for me.  I will try and do better.

Although I didn't say that the website encouraged violence against whites either. I said that the BLM movement was divisive rather than it encouraging togetherness. 

21 minutes ago, Kipper99 said:

Best thing that could happen to SP is that he’s made IoM Diversity, Inclusion and Equality Champion.

Then he’ll actually have to go on one or two of the courses he refused to go on after his BLM debacle.

Why should he, or anyone, have to go on any course they don’t want to?

All sounds a bit 1984 ish to me, however well intentioned 

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 2

On 9/25/2021 at 12:36 PM, Max Power said:

I have visited their website, but not for some time, they may have moderated their rhetoric but there seems very little recognition that the majority of white people have no issue with race. Those people are branded as 'enablers and useful idiots.

I'm guessing that cries to 'Defund the Police', 'Kill the Cops' and 'Kill Whitey' are always going to upset the 'racists' aren't they? 

You have said:

"Although I didn't say that the website encouraged violence against whites either. I said that the BLM movement was divisive rather than it encouraging togetherness.

When you posted this, were you not linking the BLM movement to "Kill the Cops" and "Kill Whitey", both phrases that have never been part of the ethos of the BLM movement since it was launched in 2013?  If so, I don't understand why you included these elements in your original post?  It certainly looked and felt like that was your intention.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Why should he, or anyone, have to go on any course they don’t want to?

All sounds a bit 1984 ish to me, however well intentioned 

No-one should, and Stu Peters was not forced to.  Maybe if he had attended he might have been allowed to carry on his career as a talk show host.  So perhaps it may have been a good idea if he had.  I don't know either way, just hypothesising.

Clearly there are always instances where people have to do courses they don't want to.  You have to pass a driving test to take a car on the road on your own as a simple example.  I see that as sound judgement rather than anything sinister.  You have to pass exams to work as an auditor.  It is not unreasonable to ask someone who is working on a talk show to take some courses to help them do it better.  As I've said - as long as they are not coerced.

• Confused 1