Congratulations Stu Peters

Max Power

2 minutes ago, quilp said:

It's a fucking cartoon for christ's sake! Have a jab at the cartoonist, it is his idea of humour. No it's not particularly funny but it's a poor show that you should use it as a stick.

To be expected though. 

Why are we not supposed to be able to comment on anyone supporting the cartoon? Seems like a daft restriction.

I don't think I am using it as a stick, either. I'm pointing out why it was, at best, a daft thing to do.

3 minutes ago, quilp said:

Have a jab at the cartoonist, it is his idea of humour.

I already did. Badly drawn, poorly composed, painfully unfunny - and that's his good points. I reckon Pollyanna herself would be ready to slit her wrists after five minutes scrolling down Phil's Facebook page. I know I am.

Phil Woodford Cartoons - Facebook

• Like 1

Just now, Max Power said:

Unfortunately punching up all the time leads to those who otherwise wouldn't, punching down. Usually with silly jokes and comments. 

Hardly all the time though is it? Facebook ain't full of women posting "Men are dumb" jokes. Though, we are dumb.

10 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

I already did. Badly drawn, poorly composed, painfully unfunny - and that's his good points. I reckon Pollyanna herself would be ready to slit her wrists after five minutes scrolling down Phil's Facebook page. I know I am.

Phil Woodford Cartoons - Facebook

Isn't it just an old man's hobby that's easily avoided.

10 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Are you suggesting that 100% of people with a sense of humour would find that funny? That doesn't seem to be a sensible suggestion. So it quite specifically has to be a sense of humour that doesn't mind sexist jokes in a context where they're not very funny, yeah?

OK , thinking through my list of female acquaintances I can’t think of one that would take offence at that “cartoon”

Some may find it funny, the others wouldn’t really bother either way.

You call it a sexist joke but is it really or does it just touch upon the differences between the sexes?
How many TV adverts show the male in a relationship as a hopeless buffoon outsmarted by his female counterpart? And who really gives a damn about that?

I think you need to lighten up

• Like 2

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

OK , thinking through my list of female acquaintances I can’t think of one that would take offence at that “cartoon”

Some may find it funny, the others wouldn’t really bother either way.

You call it a sexist joke but is it really or does it just touch upon the differences between the sexes?
How many TV adverts show the male in a relationship as a hopeless buffoon outsmarted by his female counterpart? And who really gives a damn about that?

I think you need to lighten up

Not sure when you last watched TV, but gender stereotyping has been banned in adverts for a few years now. Almost all the women I know who've seen it think the cartoon is sexist.

"Lightening up" is great and all, but normalising sexism leads to more sexist behaviour in societies.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I don't think any of my female friends would be offended but they would not find it funny either.  A number of them would definitely speak out against it.

Personally I don't find it funny.   I do think it is ill advised for a newly elected MHK to decide to wade into a Facebook argument.  I guess though this is what we can expect from our new anti woke MHK.

• Like 1