GBM vehicle identifier

Ghost Ship

If I recall correctly, Manx registered vehicles used to have to display a "GBM" identifier when being driven abroad. (Must admit I don't know if that is still the case or not).

If so, what happens after 27 September when - apparently - the UK is replacing its "GB" identifier with "UK"?  Will Manx cars have to show a "UKM" sticker or will "GBM" remain?

Displaying number plates: Flags, symbols and identifiers - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

[EDIT:  I'm not interested in the constitutional inappropriateness of using "UK" in relation to the IoM, but if the UK is ditching "GB" in favour of "UK", doesn't that mean that "GBM" will no longer technically identify anything because "GB" no longer means anything?]

Edited by Ghost Ship
clarification

GBM stays. Each country identifier is notified to the UN under the Vienna Convention. To change you have to lodge notice 3 months in advance to allow for objection.

Johnsons lot gave notice to change GB to UK on 28 June. No notice has been given to change GBA GBG GBJ GBM OR GBZ, and each of those jurisdictions would have to ask before notice was given on their behalf.

Its not the perfidious EU responsible for this. Johnson & Co  thought it a jolly good inclusive wheeze to make the people of Northern Ireland feel included after the disaster which is the NI protocol.

Given it’s been GB since at least 1910, ie before partition, it’s just stupid.

Cant actually see Mr Plod, or les Flics, or whatever local slang, authority abroad giving a monkeys.

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

I have never taken my car beyond the UK, but do we just buy the GBM sticker online and stick it on the car?

Or do we need some special number from our authorities? 

You can buy on line or at the Sea Terminal Visitor centre. You don’t need one to visit UK or Ireland.

Its sole purpose is to identify country of vehicle origin, to aid owner/driver identification.

They really aren’t strictly enforced. For years and years vehicles registered in, for example, Spain have put on Sp stickers, rather than the official E. there are unofficial SCO, CYM, and BzH. Plus CAT and Ones for The Basque Country, Sicily, Sardinia, Corsica. You name it. The police abroad don’t seem to be bothered. 

im in Spain now. I’ve got a GB sticker. My GBM sticker was tatty. Couldn’t find a new one before departure. But I probably wouldn’t have stuck on a UK one.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

I don't see how we can ever be made to use a UKM, as we are NOT part of the United Kingdom...end of. Plus, in all honesty, I doubt there are any Police in any country that will give a flying fart whether a country sticker is being displayed or not.

We aren’t actually part of Great Britain, either. Nor are Northern Ireland, Alderney, Guernsey, Jersey, Gibraltar.

At the end of the day we are a dependency of the UK which signs these types of international treaty obligations and includes us. It’s up to them. They normally would consult.

Although,  as the GB to UK change shows, if Westminster gets some silly political ideology in the mind of government, strange things can happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Declan said:

I've always preferred GB to UK. 

GB seems geographical and encompasses places I have a connection with and like. It's ageless and timeless.

UK seems administrative and artificial. It's just the current constitutional model. 

Except GB is just another administrative artificial political description.

• Like 1