Fantasy CoMin Pick

ptarmigan

25 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

I asked myself "would he be anymore inept than Ashford?" 

It's also rumoured Glover doesn't know how to use a paper shredder... he had staff for that at MR. 

is he another one with illusions of grandeur?

I'd scrap Home Affairs and Economic Development. Rob and Christian would be non-Comin members for local services (police, prison etc) and Economic Development (excluding Motorcycle racing which will have to become self-financing)respectively reporting to the CM.  Policy role scraped too.

CM : Thomas

Treasury: Cannon

Green Issues (including Farms and Fishing): Faragher

DOI - Barber

Health - P-W

Education - Allinson

Edited by Declan

5 minutes ago, Declan said:

DOI - Barber

Health - P-W

Education - Allinson

Good choices - I can live with those.

I see Ashford isn't in then. Not a problem for me though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Declan said:

I'd scrap Home Affairs and Economic Development. Rob and Christian would be non-Comin members for local services (police, prison etc) and Economic Development (excluding Motorcycle racing which will have to become self-financing)respectively reporting to the CM.  Policy role scraped too.

DOI - Barber

Health - P-W

Education - Allinson

There was talk of DHA being absorbed into the Cabinet Office.

i think one problem is that I don’t see that many of them have been in leadership roles. That would potentially help things if they had no previous term in office.

ultimately though, this is a largish parish council we are talking about that over complicates itself

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

ultimately though, this is a largish parish council we are talking about that over complicates itself

It may be the size of a parish council, but has many more functions and responsibilities.  So, as a central government rather than parish council, it is bound to be complex.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It may be the size of a parish council, but has many more functions and responsibilities.  So, as a central government rather than parish council, it is bound to be complex.

yes, it has to rubber stamp UK legislation and stick a 3 legs on it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Most of them are and will be seat fillers most of the time. Also the fall guys for other people's costly mistakes. Few will be allowed near any real decision making or policy formation. That's not how politics on the Island works. Outside of the few with real ability, it won't make much difference who is appointed to CoMin.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Gladys said:

And this is the problem - we lack, massively, economy of scale. A parish council may be a similar size in terms of numbers and area, but doesn’t generally have to run its own health service, deal with its borders, collect its own taxes etc.

Comparing us to a parish council is daft. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am not an Alf Cannan fan but I think he would be best of bunch for CM.   He can talk the talk, has experience and has been ok as Treasury Minister.   The thought of Chris Thomas being CM  would give me nightmares.   I think if the same crowd or most of them get in again in five years time there will probably be a Lady CM.   It will be interesting to see who gets nominated on Tuesday.

• Like 2

Cannan is absolutely the last person the IOM needs as a Chief Minister at this time

He's been Treasury Minister for 5 years & still has no ideas for expansion of the economy, green or otherwise

He's facilitated continued expansion of the hideously grotesque monster that is the CS/PS establishment 

He's conducted a campaign of covert warfare against our system of social security without any public mandate to do so, Shimmins has departed politics & Peake lost his seat. Only the appalling Henderson remains. There's no way he'd be of help in ending the inequalities in our system

He's left IOMG out of strict financial control

There's no policy there except the honeyed words of rhetoric

He'd be a disaster

nb. All the above is my very personal opinion of course

Edited by SleepyJoe
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Word from a good source is that Cannan wants to privatise loads of operations . Time will tell if true but would fit in with his Conservative roots .  

England has shown that privatisation doesn't always work. Cannan, as I have said many times, would be an absolute disaster for the Island.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Word from a good source is that Cannan wants to privatise loads of operations . Time will tell if true but would fit in with his Conservative roots .  

Depends what that means - I can imagine he'd love to be seen as the island's Margaret Hilda but the unions would go mental

Better to give them the objective of make themselves green enterprises within the guidelines of the Curran report recommendations and see what they come up with