Fantasy CoMin Pick

ptarmigan

48 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Hah hah! They got rid of Dominic Delaney and also Ray Kniveton retired.

So they replaced them with Dudley Butt and Alex Downie. And the jobless Dominic . . .  stood for Alex Downie's vacant MHK seat and won!

There had been previous attempts to drag some 'street urchins' onto Legislative Council but they failed, some quite miserably. Dudley Butt was a good example of 'off the street' MLC, unfortunately he was more-or-less a one off, although I have to say that Jane Poole-Wilson stepped up to the mantel. Most others have been disappointingly a bit shit.

LegCo needs to be rebuilt and its roles and powers defined. Perhaps more a scrutinising opposition, but there is no incentive for them to do that. They just cosy in with the Government so much of the time.

Wasn’t the Lord Lisvane report supposed to deal with Legco Reform. Whilst it was kicked into the long grass, hopefully with a new administration, it will be addressed. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

With David Cretney’s input as well - unelected back seat driver.

I suppose in any case there are all sorts of shady characters in the background of most politicians.

As for unelected close relatives, even Theresa May had her husband. Who persuaded her to go to the polls. What an utter fuck-up that was. And over a £billion to the DLP to give her back a majority, which, erm she already had by the bucket load when she took over the Party.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

All members have input in Joney Faragher's MLP

Some have more input than others. The MLP have free publicity in the form of Crets newspaper column. Perhaps in the interests of fairness, perhaps the LibLabVanMan could have a column in the newspaper? Maybe Peter Karran, Micheal Josem and Paul Weatherall can have a right of reply? Evan greater fairness is allowing a backbencher a right to do an opinion piece. 

Edited by 2112

Replying to 2112 ‘s post above I am not sure but has the pay structure been revised regarding added money for a Ministerial position, if this is so perhaps it is not worth the extra work, the hassle and the likelihood of becoming unpopular with the voter if your department underperforms.

4 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Replying to 2112 ‘s post above I am not sure but has the pay structure been revised regarding added money for a Ministerial position, if this is so perhaps it is not worth the extra work, the hassle and the likelihood of becoming unpopular with the voter if your department underperforms.

Departmental members get no additional pay. 

Ministers get a 5% uplift. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Ministers and Speaker etc still get an extra 15%, effectively the supplement for being a Departmental member was incorporated into basic salary and other supplements reduced accordingly.

Edited to add:  CM gets 30%, Board chairs 5%.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Link and above
  • Thanks 1

So roughly about £10,000 pa . I can see the attraction in the short term but for a youngish person with thoughts of a long career in politics it is probably safer to stay a back bencher and play to the audience, the voters, Peter Karran did this for years and always got re-elected with comfort.

• Like 1