Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

7 minutes ago, pongo said:

I don't understand why electricity is supplied by the state here but oil and gas are not.

Not for profit would seem to make sense.

Historical reasons pretty much. Although the MUA own the gas pipeline from the UK so Manx Gas are just buying off the state and making a profit on shipping it to your door.

17 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

There are no illegal loans.

There were unlawful loans made the MEA under the guise of the Manx Cable Company which was highlighted by the investigation shortly after the event when MCC couldn't keep up the repayments. A quick Google search will show you this. 

Edited by Ham_N_Eggs
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

There were unlawful loans made the MEA under the guise of the Manx Cable Company which was highlighted by the investigation shortly after the event when MCC couldn't keep up the repayments. A quick Google search will show you this. 

Illegal?. I don’t recall anyone being prosecuted for any illegality. Nobody profited personally.

The loan is being repaid. We have a power station producing electricity. Would you rather the Island in darkness?

The loans were sanctioned by Tynwald. A quick Google search will show you this.

Edited by The Voice of Reason

9 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

The loans were sanctioned by Tynwald

You are missing a word. "Retrospectively". Because there was no option.

Nobody was pursued for what had gone on for two reasons. Firstly because recouping that sort of sum from the parties involved was a non-starter and secondly because there was political face and career involved for one or two people. The Report into the matter effectively stated that "No-one was to blame" for a debt of £340M. A remarkable conclusion.

The Manx Taxpayer is left paying for this matter in the guise of the MUA's Toilet Tax, a politically convenient name for a combination of the Water Utility's previous legal, structured debt and the MEA's prior unsanctioned, unstructured debt on the merger of the two, again based on political convenience.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

All the loans were retrospectively ratified by Treasury as they were ultra vires (ie, the contracts were not legally entered into by the contract party who signed the loan agreements). But you know that as you’re trolling like you seem to do every day to almost every other poster.

Correcting misconceptions can hardly be described as trolling.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Nobody was pursued for what had gone on for two reasons. Firstly because recouping that sort of sum from the parties involved was a non-starter and secondly because there was political face and career involved for one or two people. The Report into the matter effectively stated that "No-one was to blame" for a debt of £340M. A remarkable conclusion.

Nobody was pursued because the job got done.

OK it went over budget, how many capital projects don’t?

Douglas promenade anyone?

• Haha 1

and dandara still insist on fitting gas heating in all their new builds .. maybe getting heavily subsidized boilers from manx gas has something to do with it ??  and many public sector housing tenants also got moved onto gas and had their chimneys removed, we must be heading for the most expensive heating on the planet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

Have you been got to Barry?

No. Not at all. I'm pushing for a refund, a reduction of the interest for the MUA loan and the Government to pay much more for its gas. I'm pushing for that whether Tynwald vote in favour of a price hike or not. I'm not sure that allowing MG to fail is wise. Only the Treasury and the MUA know that I think. Perhaps not even they know. 

• Like 1