Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

13 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Certainly not on a monopoly basis anyway. And also certainly not under "regulation" by the IoM OFT.

Another, stronger regulator is needed if we're going to do it that way. But the problem also stems from the MUA being the supplier.

CURA, the economic regulator, now regulates gas, not OFT.

What is wrong with MUA supplying gas wholesale?

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 1:34 PM, HNWI said:

That the price of the global commodity needs to rise is not the million dollar question. What should have been questioned by our scrutineers was the baseline price starting point and how it is arrived at. A 27% rise in the cost of very expensive gas is far greater than a 27% rise of more modestly priced gas.

Being that the Government itself may be a player in this via being the overall supplier through the MUA, this is the question that needs to be answered in my business experience. But the Government may not choose to see this spotlit for whatever reasons known to itself. Nobody is privy to what briefing or figures Tynwald members may have been in receipt of before their vote, that so many chose to vote the way they did without regard to the full details is a very concerning matter to me.

The explanatory memo was published on the Tynwald order paper 2017 01 03 - Government Business - Explanatory Memo Tynwald Members. The Tynwald members briefing Powerpoint presentation from CURA was also circulated by some members to those who asked for it I think, with CURA permission.

The Gas Regulation review report was published a couple of years ago 2019-02-15-chief-ministers-gas-regulatory-review-committee-report-final-approved-1822019.pdf (gov.im) which you might find helpful, particularly the NERA annex and Manx Gas's response which are both full of accounting and other analyses.

CURA published its own notice information-notice-33-21_gas-regulation.pdf (cura.im) and is consulting on gas regulation. You might find a read of its roadmap document interesting 20210407_roadmap-to-regulation.pdf (cura.im).

Thanks for comment and interest.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

That tells you all you need to know about MG.

Shocking admission that they can't deal with their customers directly.

That isn't fair. Manx Gas, CURA, OFT and others signpost to available support and assistance. Manx Gas has provided an annual grant to the Salvation Army for several years. I understand it has decided in the past not to publicize this. 

9 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

That isn't fair. Manx Gas, CURA, OFT and others signpost to available support and assistance. Manx Gas has provided an annual grant to the Salvation Army for several years. I understand it has decided in the past not to publicize this. 

Really Mr Thomas? Did you not consider that the reason that (not) Manx Gas 'decided in the past not to publicize' (your Americanised wrong spelling by the way) their 'grant' to the Salvation Army might be due to the sheer embarrassment that they have so many impoverished customers? You need to stop being so seemingly self-satisfied and condescending and trying to appear like a genuine expert. You are not. Do your job properly please. There was no proper scrutiny of the enormous rise. As Mrs Christian amongst others can attest.

Edited by Cassie2
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Not sure what people expect Manx Gas to do , not put up prices and collapse or put up to that discussed with CURA ?

All the major UK , Irish and other countries major suppliers have also put prices up with many companies bigger than MG going bust. IF MG had done fixed price tariffs without hedging 100% they would have gone bust last month!

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Roxanne said:

A commercial organisation that we, the Manx people, have paid millions for their Infrastructure.

The robbing bastards. 

No we haven't. MUA own the infrastructure that brings gas to the Island and cost millions. Manx Gas contribute to this cost with every unit they sell on. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

Not sure what people expect Manx Gas to do , not put up prices and collapse or put up to that discussed with CURA ?

All the major UK , Irish and other countries major suppliers have also put prices up with many companies bigger than MG going bust. IF MG had done fixed price tariffs without hedging 100% they would have gone bust last month!

Stop talking sense. You will become very unpopular on here. 

• Like 2

My understanding on the help offered by the Salvation Army regarding utilities was that it was mainly directed to providing deposits, which recipients would then try to pay back. I suppose they might help out with one-off problems as well, but I don't think it's their intention to provide continuing support to those who can't afford their utility bills.  No charity can be expected to provide indefinite support to particular households for obvious reasons (this also applies to organisations such as Foodbank as well).

This also means that Manx Gas's support to the SA is also rather self-interested, they are supporting a scheme that produces more customers for themselves.

According to the SA's own website:

Community Relief - we continue to run this practical assistance service from our office weekdays 10 am to 2 pm. We require a referral from a supporting agency, charity or organisation if you are seeking support for yourself. 

So it rather looks as if people should not be approaching them directly anyway.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add link
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2021 at 9:54 PM, Manx17 said:

Still don’t know how they are going to work it out when they haven’t done meter readings 

I missed the meter reader around that time and submitted an online reading.

Wondering now if I should have grossly inflated to buy this winter's gas at the old price 😄

• Like 2

Economic Regulator that is what I could not remember,  so is this one person or a panel that have taken over from OFT ?  and did our Government appoint him or them ?   Have they got more power than OFT ?  Just a few random questions to try and understand the whole situation.   I do not think the MHKs had any option and to vote for the increase was the only way to go as it is not a local problem it is world wide, I also think that the reputation Manx Gas has had over the last few years has made the situation even more unpalatable to their customers.  I will be listening with interest to the programme tomorrow.

• Like 2