Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

My take on the MG reasoning for the non-issuing of MG's part of the promised rebate is that the rebate was agreed under voluntary regulation conditions. Now they've moved to external regulation via CURA, MG seem to be using that as a justification for delaying payment?

Can't see them refunding/paying at all now. They've been let off the hook.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

All council & new houses being built come with gas boilers so unless you are replacing one you never need to install one as no one ever replaces an oil boiler with a gas one!!

Wrong!

I've been told by the local commissioners that if my oil-fired boiler ever costs more than around £50 quid in parts to repair, it will be replaced with a gas boiler. Allegedly this has come from central government, not local. Also, whenever someone moves out, they replace the oil boiler with gas before the next tenant moves in. 

I know people who had their boilers replaced and the oil tank with oil in removed, and they were reimbursed with a fraction of what the oil in the tank cost - in one case it had been filled only the week before and the money they were refunded wouldn't even have given them half a tank's worth. After not being fairly compensated they then have to find the money for a MG deposit. 

I was also told that gas central heating is hotter than oil, how can that be? If my radiators got any hotter they'd be a H&S hazard. 

Surely both forms of heating are temperature controlled I know my oil boiler has settings on it, mine is on the lowest, and the heat from the radiators is determined by that.   I think the next moan will be from the Gas Company of low consumption and who can blame their customers for cutting down.    I have oil filled electric radiators which I use when I just want a small space heated they are not expensive to run and certainly takes the chill off.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Zarley said:

Wrong!

I've been told by the local commissioners that if my oil-fired boiler ever costs more than around £50 quid in parts to repair, it will be replaced with a gas boiler. Allegedly this has come from central government, not local. Also, whenever someone moves out, they replace the oil boiler with gas before the next tenant moves in. 

I know people who had their boilers replaced and the oil tank with oil in removed, and they were reimbursed with a fraction of what the oil in the tank cost - in one case it had been filled only the week before and the money they were refunded wouldn't even have given them half a tank's worth. After not being fairly compensated they then have to find the money for a MG deposit. 

I was also told that gas central heating is hotter than oil, how can that be? If my radiators got any hotter they'd be a H&S hazard. 

I meant no one use their own money to change from oil to gas , obviously if it’s taxpayers money😂

19 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

As I said, the suppliers are trying to blame the price cap, but they're disingenuous. Most people in the UK are not on the standard tariff that is subject to the OFGEM price cap, most people are on cheap fixed tariffs. These are why suppliers are going bust, in short because the suppliers offered a fix that they didn't ensure they could afford.

Suppliers are moaning about the price cap because they want to fleece the old ladies who don't switch supplier. A bit lot like IEG.

By happy coincidence, anyone whose supplier fails goes onto the standard tariff when OFGEM switch them. So no wonder suppliers are moaning again. Like IEG, why wouldn't they take a chance to rinse the sitting ducks?

I still maintain IEG should have been allowed to go forth and multiply, for their past behaviour as much as anything. I don't think Ancala Partners LLP would really have allowed them to go bust and lose a) their investment and b) access to a lucrative captive marker. So call their bluff. But, as always, Tynwald rolled over and had their tummy tickled. "There wasn't a choice". They could have at least mandated IEG to pay the promised rebate.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

I think the next moan will be from the Gas Company of low consumption and who can blame their customers for cutting down.

I'm sure MG raised their prices a few years back citing low sales as the reason?

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I'm sure MG raised their prices a few years back citing low sales as the reason?

They said low consumption from industry was why they didn't reduce gas prices last year, when wholesale gas prices were at a record low. But of course.

They're just a shower of bastards. Always have been. Always will be.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 3

If i was running the show i'd want to get this thing done and dusted. Move tge plebs on  to a weeks light entertainment, instruct courteney to announce calling for the death penalty for ashie then give it 7-10 days before announcing the electricity hike. Alf lacks my elite level vision so i expect it to take him round about 15 days

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I didn’t write the article. But it’s representative of what the industry believes in the UK that the cap is a big part of the problem that is causing bankruptcies. 

But the industry will say that, because the industry want rid of the price cap. The industry have always been opposed to the price cap. Centrica last year were blaming the price cap for why they cut their HomeCare engineers' pay ffs. 

The industry's rampant profiteering against people on standard tariffs was why the price cap came in. So no wonder they want the price cap gone. Trebles all round.

I know you're just reporting what industry are saying, but they can't be trusted to be honest. As we see with IEG on pretty much a daily basis.

Edited by Ringy Rose
Added a bit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Banker said:

I meant no one use their own money to change from oil to gas , obviously if it’s taxpayers money😂

Yes, which makes this move to gas in existing public housing all the more infuriating.

In the case of them removing oil boilers in perfectly good working condition before new tenants move in, it's a huge waste of taxpayers' money. 

I can't help but wonder if there was some sort of brown envelope back room deal between MG & IOMG in regards replacing public housing boilers.  Nothing else makes sense, imo. 

18 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Surely both forms of heating are temperature controlled I know my oil boiler has settings on it, mine is on the lowest, and the heat from the radiators is determined by that.   I think the next moan will be from the Gas Company of low consumption and who can blame their customers for cutting down.    I have oil filled electric radiators which I use when I just want a small space heated they are not expensive to run and certainly takes the chill off.

Yes, that's what I thought and I said so to the office person who told me that gas was hotter. Got a blank look in reply. It was obviously a sop she was instructed to say to people who aren't happy about the boiler change.

Thankfully my oil boiler is ok, although I did have a "scare" a while ago. Turned out it just needed a new five quid gizmo and it's been fine since.

I swear by oil-filled electric heaters when you only need to heat one room. They're very good and as you say, not expensive to run. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zarley said:

Yes, which makes this move to gas in existing public housing all the more infuriating.

In the case of them removing oil boilers in perfectly good working condition before new tenants move in, it's a huge waste of taxpayers' money. 

I can't help but wonder if there was some sort of brown envelope back room deal between MG & IOMG in regards replacing public housing boilers.  Nothing else makes sense, imo. 

Yes, that's what I thought and I said so to the office person who told me that gas was hotter. Got a blank look in reply. It was obviously a sop she was instructed to say to people who aren't happy about the boiler change.

Thankfully my oil boiler is ok, although I did have a "scare" a while ago. Turned out it just needed a new five quid gizmo and it's been fine since.

I swear by oil-filled electric heaters when you only need to heat one room. They're very good and as you say, not expensive to run. 

That reminds me of when I took a jacket back to M&S that had shrunk in the wash even though I followed the washing instructions.  I told the lady I had washed it at 40 as per the instructions and she told me there were different 40 temperatures!  My face must have been a contorted picture as I struggled to hide incredulity, mirth and my bullshitometer face all at the same time. 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

That reminds me of when I took a jacket back to M&S that had shrunk in the wash even though I followed the washing instructions.  I told the lady I had washed it at 40 as per the instructions and she told me there were different 40 temperatures!  My face must have been a contorted picture as I struggled to hide incredulity, mirth and my bullshitometer face all at the same time. 

Could be 40C, 40F or 40K (centigrade, Fahrenheit or Kelvin). Although I suspect she didn't mean that

• Haha 1

On 11/2/2021 at 6:24 PM, offshoremanxman said:

It’s a mismatch though isn’t it? The UK cap is set twice a year. If you fuck your hedging up it could be six months before you can even start moving the price to reflect what the gas was delivered at. That could be far too late cash flow wise in the current market. Equally if you go bust who wants your customers if you can’t profit from selling more gas to them because the cap is in place?

I fully agree with you in IEG I’d have told them to get stuffed too and just take over their supply pipelines and infra.

Hedging in the UK has been easy for over 10 years as the gas price has been very stable. The hedging over that period has been about profit taking. Now their profit taking model has been screwed up, most uk gas companies are going belly up because the model is unsustainable. 

If you look at the wholesale price of gas from 05-10, it often makes $5.70 look cheap 

7 hours ago, Zarley said:

n the case of them removing oil boilers in perfectly good working condition before new tenants move in, it's a huge waste of taxpayers' money.

It’s the same with any improvements, carpets etc. My mums friend died and the commissioner’s removed a fairly new shower cubicle, 1 year old carpets, blinds etc and through them in the skip as everything has to be removed before new tenants move in , absolute madness 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1