Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

High quantity users pay a commercially agreed rate with Manx Gas.

Crucially the entire cost of these commercial operations now sits outside the regulatory framework- network costs, supply costs, the lot. So MG can't cross-subsidise;  CURA won't let them.

So the high quantity users will be paying enough to keep MG in profit. But yes, I expect these users are paying less per unit than domestic users, as the costs of supplying domestic users is usually quite a bit higher.

Edited by Ringy Rose

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

High quantity users pay a commercially agreed rate with Manx Gas.

Crucially the entire cost of these commercial operations now sits outside the regulatory framework- network costs, supply costs, the lot. So MG can't cross-subsidise;  CURA won't let them.

So the high quantity users will be paying enough to keep MG in profit. But yes, I expect these users are paying less per unit than domestic users, as the costs of supplying domestic users is usually quite a bit higher.

It’s already been shown in a Tynwald statement about 18 months ago (quoting Chris Robertshaw circa Nov 2020) that Nobles Hospital pays a gas tariff that is just above the wholesale cost of the gas from Manx Gas. The profit is very minimal per therm and they are MGs biggest user. It doesn’t matter if there’s technically no cross subsidy or not. Government pays the least of everyone for its gas and the public pays the most so reductions in profit elsewhere are clearly being bolstered by higher profits on domestic supplies.

Edited by Bandits
Added reference

7 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Yeah. They are gas tanks. I'm not sure what their purpose is. Do they deliver lpg into them?

I always "assumed" (dangerous word) that they were there to supply the prison (and perhaps the newer industrial units), they were installed around the same time that the prison was built AFAIK?

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Meanwhile, in the fantasy low-carbon island;

https://www.jobtrain.co.uk//iomgovjobs/DisplayJob.aspx?JobId=14519

Dear god.  Government hates social media! 

Interesting.  During the pandemic many civil servants couldn't work for weeks due to lack of remote facilities and equipment! Now they are 'hybrid' 🙄

We operate a hybrid working pattern, meaning that working from home is encouraged for 3 days a week, along with 2 days in the office.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Dear god.  Government hates social media! 

Interesting.  During the pandemic many civil servants couldn't work for weeks due to lack of remote facilities and equipment! Now they are 'hybrid' 🙄

We operate a hybrid working pattern, meaning that working from home is encouraged for 3 days a week, along with 2 days in the office.

I note it's all about reducing emissions, reducing shit like this would be a start, don't worry we'll soon find a way to get rid of that 42million. I'm all engaged already, and waiting with baited breath how they are going to tell me to afford a top of the line electric car that can do enough miles for me to replace my ageing diesel, and we've already reduced our energy usage to assist the planet ( actually because it's too expensive !). Reducing the warm body count draining the coffers would help to offset the amount of hot air produced without doubt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, cissolt said:

I know someone who started with government after covid working on one of these hybrid deals. They never check what people are actually doing apparently and there’s no expectation to come in to the office more than twice a week. They’re apparently excluded from meetings that happen in the days they’re WFH other than being able to Zoom in. Which is a joke when you live in Onchan literally 10 mins away! They’re already thinking of leaving as they get the impression nobody is really interested in them or what they do but admit they could probably pad it out for 5 years doing next to sod all and nobody would really notice but they’re the wrong personality type to do that as they have pride in their skills. To think that people can get away with this when everyone else is working their a** off to hold down a job!

• Like 4

A digital engagement executive

a) wtf is that?

We’re looking for a digital native who has the skills and experience to keep audience engaged. If you have these skills and are looking to have a positive impact on the future of our island and indeed the planet, we would love to hear from you!

b) wtf is a digital native?

c) wtf is this non-job?

d) the job reference is discriminatory, it's only for COX-014459

e) £35k - wow.

Edited by b4mbi
  • Like 2

I thought all this shit had been outsourced to a third party "digital native" company already???? Wasn't there a tender for this kind of thing a few months back???

Or was the brief so crap that whoever won the bid chucked the towel in as they realised it would do more harm than good to their reputation?? 

Talk about silo mentality.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Aren't the Biosphere IOM lot already doing this for government?

That's defa, this is in cabinet office.  Each department will need their own climate change team with digital engagement officers.  Heaven forbid we freeze government recruitment....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cissolt said:

That's defa, this is in cabinet office.  Each department will need their own climate change team with digital engagement officers.  Heaven forbid we freeze government recruitment....

Whoever thought it a good idea to hand Daphne 42 million to play with, needs looking at !

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, asitis said:

Whoever thought it a good idea to hand Daphne 42 million to play with, needs looking at !

Well CM Cannan and Ashie did. It will be pissed against the wall in no time, with little to show, a team of additional civil servants and in every department. What do we honestly expect? Lessons Learned? That’s a joke.

• Like 4