Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

6 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

This...no central heating , single glazed old metal framed windows . Windows ice on the inside in winters. Limited coal fire and for sure wrapped up in warm clothes. Problem nowadays is most places of work have to maintain a minimum temp so it becomes a need when they get home. Not changing anytime soon.  

Unfortunately, most council houses don't have open fires/have had them bricked up. It's policy,don't you know.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hoops said:

Unfortunately, most council houses don't have open fires/have had them bricked up. It's policy,don't you know.

Yes I know but thats how it was. Not much coal around anyway. Regardless of green agenda   

Edited by Numbnuts

8 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

We had no central heating and one paraffin heater on the landing to warm the stairwell. I never had central heating until I bought my own house. We’re just going to have to go back to that for a while. All these people predicting thousands of UK deaths this winter seem to be the same Karen’s who were predicting millions of UK deaths from Covid. It’s the same with food shortages. Most of us could do with eating less anyway. So we probably will for a bit. 

Unbelievable that you lot apparently are more happy to go back to a time where life was worse and people died younger, rather than hold the people responsible for the current shambles to account. Is that a British thing? The living in the past stuff? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Unbelievable that you lot apparently are more happy to go back to a time where life was worse and people died younger, rather than hold the people responsible for the current shambles to account. Is that a British thing? The living in the past stuff? 

Who are “the people accountable” in this case? 

Please don’t say our local to pot politicians and our tiny gas company! Neither of whom have any influence on an international issue

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Amadeus said:

You're lucky no one's mentioned the war yet! :P

• Haha 2

Not sure it is being happy to go back, more to remember past experiences which may help in dealing with the current challenges on a personal level.

As for holding people responsible, who exactly? 

• Like 2

The wholesale price of gas has increased by 266% in the past 12 months, including a 68% rise since February, according to Ofgem. 

This is not a problem that can be solved locally. 

If the government can help the public and business in some way to cushion them from the extremes that will be a bonus. However jumping up and down and pointing the finger of blame at local politicians or Manx Gas is just ridiculous. 

As a customer of Manx Gas for over 30 years I have no real issues. We have had a much more stable time with them than many friends in the UK who have seen one supplier after another let them down and many have billing problems still unresolved. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

You're lucky no one's mentioned the war yet! :P

Adolf Putin's war? 

19 minutes ago, Gladys said:

As for holding people responsible, who exactly? 

Putin and his orcs. How do we, on the Isle of Man, do that?

22 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Not sure it is being happy to go back, more to remember past experiences which may help in dealing with the current challenges on a personal level.

This, absolutely this.

As far as house temperatures go, it's largely a matter of what you're used to. It's not all that difficult to adapt by keeping the thermostat low and wearing warm clothes.

I had a financially difficult winter a few years ago and in addition to extra layers, I also wore fingerless gloves in the house as well as a woolly hat. Not ideal, but kept me warm and I'm still here to tell the tale. I'll probably be doing the same this winter.

We don't even get particularly cold winters here. Doesn't often go below zero, although it can be damp which adds to the chill. 

• Thanks 3

Whilst we can't do anything about the current gas price globally, we can stop a venture capital firm from creaming an additional 5% of the top.  As well as demanding that we are not subsidising the gas used in the many government buildings scattered across the island.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Whilst we can't do anything about the current gas price globally, we can stop a venture capital firm from creaming an additional 5% of the top.  As well as demanding that we are not subsidising the gas used in the many government buildings scattered across the island.

Except they don’t “cream” 5% on top of sales. They are allowed to make a profit of 5% on capital employed. That’s whether a therm costs £1 or £1000. The wholesale gas price increase, and the consequent retail price rise, has no effect on profit or return.

And that’s why nationalising will make little or no difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1