Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

7 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Maybe thats right. However Manx Gas don't make boilers but it's possible they are in bed with dandara. Must be a good deal though as dandara are not known for splashing the cash if they don't have to.

The cost of new build housing is already horrendous so nobody is going to see the justification for adding another £15K of cost to add ground source heat pumps and solar etc. it’s the buyer who is going to pay in an already massively inflated market. That’s why gas is installed. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Newsdesk said:

The cost of new build housing is already horrendous so nobody is going to see the justification for adding another £15K of cost to add ground source heat pumps and solar etc. it’s the buyer who is going to pay in an already massively inflated market. That’s why gas is installed. 

I agree. But it's still a short sighted decision. Oil would pay back the extra cost in about 2 years. Cost is not just the immediate outlay, it's about net cost. With that in mind why go for the most costly option. 

21 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I agree. But it's still a short sighted decision. Oil would pay back the extra cost in about 2 years. Cost is not just the immediate outlay, it's about net cost. With that in mind why go for the most costly option. 

i'm pleased to see you've caught up.  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Newsdesk said:

That’s why gas is installed. 

From personal family experience ...... Gas is installed because the developers get the boilers at a "preferential" rate ! The reasons why this occurs are clear it supports MG. We asked to pay whatever it cost on one of the developers detached expensive properties to have oil fitted, they said it had to be gas !

Clearly if a builder at the foundation stage won't contemplate further money to do an alteration something is going on !

... and a simple alteration at that !

Edited by asitis

29 minutes ago, asitis said:

From personal family experience ...... Gas is installed because the developers get the boilers at a "preferential" rate ! The reasons why this occurs are clear it supports MG. We asked to pay whatever it cost on one of the developers detached expensive properties to have oil fitted, they said it had to be gas !

Clearly if a builder at the foundation stage won't contemplate further money to do an alteration something is going on !

Ask developers not to put boiler in & ask for cost reduction, then install oil boiler when purchased 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Yes but equally the new rules around the siting of oil tanks now would mean that a lot of new builds would have to have a concrete pad in the middle of the garden with an oil tank sat on it in order to comply. That’s also why they won’t contemplate it as an option as it’s a H&S pain in the ass. 

Also less developers profit ! Lots going on in the background why gas boilers are proliferated all over the island.

I won't repeat what we were told but nothing surprises me here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asitis said:

Devils advocate.

Do the developers have people able to fit oil prior to the issue of a competition certificate in a way that they can still offer the NHBC warranty?

I know Hartford can for ASHP as they are an option on their bigger homes

Edited by Asthehills

59 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Devils advocate.

Do the developers have people able to fit oil prior to the issue of a competition certificate in a way that they can still offer the NHBC warranty?

I know Hartford can for ASHP as they are an option on their bigger homes

It was disappointing to end up with a large house heated by gas, my daughter will have to pay dearly for that now !

13 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Yes but equally the new rules around the siting of oil tanks now would mean that a lot of new builds would have to have a concrete pad in the middle of the garden with an oil tank sat on it in order to comply. That’s also why they won’t contemplate it as an option as it’s a H&S pain in the ass. 

Agree...Mate wanted to replace an old oil tank..Found out that it was not a straightforward swap as the old installation  was not complying to current regs as it was very close to the fence withe the neighbour. So no authorised installer was willing  to do it.. 

As offshoremanxman posted it was going to cost a whole load of money.. He was planning to sell the house soon anyway and swapped to a gas boiler for far lower than the cost of a replacement oil tank ( plus installation costs etc ) 

8 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Agree...Mate wanted to replace an old oil tank..Found out that it was not a straightforward swap as the old installation  was not complying to current regs as it was very close to the fence withe the neighbour. So no authorised installer was willing  to do it.. 

As offshoremanxman posted it was going to cost a whole load of money.. He was planning to sell the house soon anyway and swapped to a gas boiler for far lower than the cost of a replacement oil tank ( plus installation costs etc ) 

i was under the impression that if something existing was replaced in effectively a like for like manner it could stay where it was. but there may be need to put a tin firebreak in place.

5 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Unfortunately not I had to have a new tank recently and it was a massive pain in the ass as nobody would re-install it where it was because the regs had changed. Cost me a bloody fortune to have it re-sited. I can see why people go for gas. It’s easy. 

Planning on the island another who you know job ! Who would want to come here and try and fight their way around planning if they wanted to alter something. The island is a place where you need a certificate and inspection if you want to take a piss ! As I've posted elsewhere, we are drowning in bureaucracy, because we are infested with pencil necks, we need more can do people ! not computer says no !

Edited by asitis
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, asitis said:

Planning on the island another who you know job ! Who would want to come here and try and fight their way around planning if they wanted to alter something. The island is a place where you need a certificate and inspection if you want to take a piss ! As I've posted elsewhere, we are drowning in bureaucracy, because we are infested with pencil necks, we need more can do people ! not computer says no !

The building regulations for new oil tanks in the IOM are a direct copy of the English regulations. Same in Wales, northern ireland, Scotland. The UK must be infested with pencil necks and drowning in bureaucracy too. Or perhaps it's that oil tanks are hazardous and present a risk of pollution if not fitted correctly.

It's a pain in the arse I agree and yes it's one big reason that gas appeals. I reckon it would still pay in the long run.

You could always replace a tank yourself and pay someone cash in hand to help you out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The building regulations for new oil tanks in the IOM are a direct copy of the English regulations. Same in Wales, northern ireland, Scotland. The UK must be infested with pencil necks and drowning in bureaucracy too. Or perhaps it's that oil tanks are hazardous and present a risk of pollution if not fitted correctly.

It's a pain in the arse I agree and yes it's one big reason that gas appeals. I reckon it would still pay in the long run.

You could always replace a tank yourself and pay someone cash in hand to help you out.

The standard is European Standard EN 13341 2005 +A1 2011

• Like 1