Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

14 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The building regulations for new oil tanks in the IOM are a direct copy of the English regulations. Same in Wales, northern ireland, Scotland. The UK must be infested with pencil necks and drowning in bureaucracy too. Or perhaps it's that oil tanks are hazardous and present a risk of pollution if not fitted correctly.

It's a pain in the arse I agree and yes it's one big reason that gas appeals. I reckon it would still pay in the long run.

You could always replace a tank yourself and pay someone cash in hand to help you out.

Sorry I had gone on a general rant after being involved in a nonsensical planning saga where common sense didn't enter into it ! Planning is a lottery depending on who you are, who submits the application, who represents you, and whether the MHK overseeing the application is a twat or not ! Ps all this which raised my bile was over a hedge ! FFS.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Unfortunately not I had to have a new tank recently and it was a massive pain in the ass as nobody would re-install it where it was because the regs had changed. Cost me a bloody fortune to have it re-sited. I can see why people go for gas. It’s easy. 

I had that regulation quoted at me when I needed a new tank, fortunately found a plumber who just replaced tank in same spot 😀

• Like 3

2 hours ago, asitis said:

Sorry I had gone on a general rant after being involved in a nonsensical planning saga where common sense didn't enter into it ! Planning is a lottery depending on who you are, who submits the application, who represents you, and whether the MHK overseeing the application is a twat or not ! Ps all this which raised my bile was over a hedge ! FFS.

Which MHKs oversee planning applications?

4 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Markets are forecasting prices of 700 - 800p per therm for natural gas from tomorrow. 

500p per therm is giving us the current price levels. 800p per therm is just bleak and not worth thinking about. 

If only we had a local source of natural gas. 

The truth is though, we don't do we? They ain't found it yet. They believe there is potentially exploitative gas, thats all.

8 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The truth is though, we don't do we? They ain't found it yet. They believe there is potentially exploitative gas, thats all.

Better educated people than me have said there's a viable supply of gas there for about a 15 year supply. It's apparently shown on some 1980's survey that was done. Back then it wasn't economically viable to extract. Today's world is a whole new ball game. 

If there's anyone out there that has access to said surveys and can interpret them differently then I would love to hear from them. 

The reality remains that 800p a therm is a whole other level of problems. 

It was in the NPM this morning that Manx Gas has changed its name to Island Energy. It’s rebranding and is new strapline is ‘more than a gas company’ …………… it’s a shite company. This will be another reason for Manx Gas to justify prices rises, as rebranding doesn’t cost nothing.  I also think it’s not really newsworthy, unless Island Energy are paying the NPM to put out a press release and orally broadcast this announcement? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, manxfisherman said:

Reasons for companies to rebrand

• Deniability for the past
  • Shocking public perception
  • Greenwashing

Of course manx gas themselves say "the new name 'reflects the changing direction of the business to provide customers with choice'." although apart from use it or don't I'm not sure what choice they are referring to.

What choice? Island Energy have a total monopoly for supplying gas, they can charge - within reason - what they want. 

15 minutes ago, manxfisherman said:

Of course manx gas themselves say "the new name 'reflects the changing direction of the business to provide customers with choice'." although apart from use it or don't I'm not sure what choice they are referring to.

the choice to NOT use gas would be a good start,  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1