Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

There was a really good programme on before the Villages by the sea featuring Laxey tonight regarding energy in different forms.   The subsidies that the British Government were giving to wind farms despite them making very healthy profits was costing householders a lot of money.   I did not see I all unfortunately as I just switched on prior to the Laxey village one.

6 hours ago, hissingsid said:

There was a really good programme on before the Villages by the sea featuring Laxey tonight regarding energy in different forms.   The subsidies that the British Government were giving to wind farms despite them making very healthy profits was costing householders a lot of money.   I did not see I all unfortunately as I just switched on prior to the Laxey village one.

It’s on iPlayeR and was Panorama.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, emesde said:

According to their Web site its £195.05.. I presume that covers The cost of the bottle as well. 

Perhaps the £75 quoted is a refill price only.. 

NO,  exchanging a 16 or 17 kg gas bottle at the garage was around the £50 mark  the last time i needed to get one for the hob and that was months ago,  so no cylinder cost involved.  3x the gas at around 3 x the price taking into account current rates would be about there,  but we're still being ripped off though.

Edited by WTF

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

I see that that "chairman" of the MUA has gone remarkably quiet since Liz Truss' price cap came in making future UK utility bills capped at less than the IOMs average bill. No doubt he's another paying his respects to the Queen by not saying or doing anything until next Monday while people get bigger and bigger in debt. 

Probably following Glover & others & not responding until after funeral 

10 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I keep talking to people who think no one in the UK is going to pay more than the “capped” price.

Its a poor choice of phrase which hasn’t been particularly well explained and which will probably catch a few out when they get their first huge bill.

It’s based on an average household with average use so if someone puts heating on 24/7 expecting average bill they’re in for a big shock 😂

1 minute ago, Banker said:

It’s based on an average household with average use so if someone puts heating on 24/7 expecting average bill they’re in for a big shock 😂

Yes I know, but there seem to be people here and there who don’t understand that.

A woman I was talking to this morning genuinely thought it was unfair that IOMG government haven’t “capped” what any household can spend on energy this winter in the same way that the UK have 🙄

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

I keep talking to people who think no one in the UK is going to pay more than the “capped” price.

Its a poor choice of phrase which hasn’t been particularly well explained and which will probably catch a few out when they get their first huge bill.

It’s just more smoke and mirrors from a PM who is self evidently as thick as mince.