Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

On 9/14/2022 at 6:56 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Was just comparing recent gas bills with a neighbour...she leaves her heating off but boiler on constantly for hot water. I leave mine off totally...only drawing hot water on demand. My £31 v her £90. Plus she has electric shower...mine's on gas.

So basically she's been charged £70 for doing the dishes...keeping the boiler on!

Will it not damage the boiler turning it on and off?

I just got my gas bill today, plain white envelope. Took me a few seconds after I opened it and saw the invoice to twig that it was actually my gas bill.

If your name is shit with the general public, try a spot of reinvention eh?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I just got my gas bill today, plain white envelope. Took me a few seconds after I opened it and saw the invoice to twig that it was actually my gas bill.

If your name is shit with the general public, try a spot of reinvention eh?

It came from the UK, the address for returns being a PO box in Swindon. I almost put it straight in the bin (recycling, obviously) without even opening it.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Aren't they supposedly regulated? What's the regulator doing while they're taking the piss out of their customers (who in many cases have no choice but to use them)?

The price is regulated through CURA based on a return on capital, if market prices are high then gas prices here & elsewhere will be high!! Do you expect MG or anyone to sell at a loss?

1 minute ago, Banker said:

The price is regulated through CURA based on a return on capital, if market prices are high then gas prices here & elsewhere will be high!! Do you expect MG or anyone to sell at a loss?

I was referring to their shambolic billing system rather than their (no doubt inflated more than they really need to be) prices.

I guess their recent rebrand will be counted as capital and therefore paid for by their increasingly beleaguered customers.

8 minutes ago, Manx Resident said:

I hear today that CURA are to review IOM gas prices as the market price for gas has fallen. If bills should be lower I wonder how quickly changes will be made, not as quickly as they went up?. Also, the price of gas powered electricity will surely need review….?.

Except prices went up very slowly because CURA wouldn’t authorise. That meant when they did go up they went up a lot more. In England there were 4 price hikes to our 2. 

As for Electricity the price has been frozen, tax payer subsidy has allowed MUA to sell electricity generated here by gas at a loss.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Except prices went up very slowly because CURA wouldn’t authorise. That meant when they did go up they went up a lot more. In England there were 4 price hikes to our 2. 

As for Electricity the price has been frozen, tax payer subsidy has allowed MUA to sell electricity generated here by gas at a loss.

sold at a loss or less profit margin ??