Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

On 11/10/2021 at 7:39 AM, WTF said:

don't worry, all this inflation will be down again in a few months when it comes to determining wage rises.

Has anyone clarified why the figures were wrong?  And what the cost is to government based on the lower wage increases for some industries based on the incorrect values?

I would like to get this petition presented to the relevant people in Government over the next few days. The target was 1,000 signatures. I have struggled which is understandable after nearly six years of arguing. Can any of you please help me get it over the line? 

https://www.change.org/iomgascustomers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, Bazza Smurf said:

I would like to get this petition presented to the relevant people in Government over the next few days. The target was 1,000 signatures. I have struggled which is understandable after nearly six years of arguing. Can any of you please help me get it over the line? 

https://www.change.org/iomgascustomers

Done. Thanks for your hard work Barry.  I don't think government have any motivation to do anything about this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, cissolt said:

Done. Thanks for your hard work Barry.  I don't think government have any motivation to do anything about this.

There's a question lined up next week in the Keys. It's still a hot topic. Gotta keep trying. Gov made the promise. They should really fulfill it. 😊

• Like 1

Manx Gas are on a big PR offensive which includes sponsoring Christmas lights switch ons. They are sponsoring the Ramsey Christmas Lights switch on. They will be rubbing their hands next week as a nice cold spell supposed to be hitting the island. Hope it’s freezing at Alfs, and his boiler packs up. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Is it just me that thinks it strange that Manx Gas would sponsor a function that essentially uses a "rival" Utility's product?

How is electricity generated on the rock these days? Wind, waves or ?

• Haha 1

A year or so ago a deal was worked out which manx gas wrote to its customers about. It showed higher gas standing charges annd lower gas unit cost plus a rebate for all customers. I was quite happy with what I was told about that at the time and most people seemed to be. Why has this been dragged on like this for so long. The whole market for gas supply has changed so I guess new deals /costs will have to be negotiated..lets hope a few people don't again protest and delay implementation of what most people would have readily accepted. I'm sure some people protested and seemed to have achieved not much for the majority. 

24 minutes ago, emesde said:

A year or so ago a deal was worked out which manx gas wrote to its customers about. It showed higher gas standing charges annd lower gas unit cost plus a rebate for all customers. I was quite happy with what I was told about that at the time and most people seemed to be. Why has this been dragged on like this for so long. The whole market for gas supply has changed so I guess new deals /costs will have to be negotiated..lets hope a few people don't again protest and delay implementation of what most people would have readily accepted. I'm sure some people protested and seemed to have achieved not much for the majority. 

There was no way in hell I was going to pay 40 quid a month for the privilege of buying their expensive gas ! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, emesde said:

It showed higher gas standing charges annd lower gas unit cost plus a rebate for all customers. I was quite happy with what I was told about that at the time and most people seemed to be. Why has this been dragged on like this for so long.

Most people weren't happy with the voluntary agreements, though. Which is why they didn't get signed, despite Cannan's very best efforts to bully Tynwald.

IEG really really wanted the voluntary agreement, and had a massive PR push on it. That was enough to convince me it was a really bad idea. I wouldn't trust IEG if they told me today is Thursday.

Sadly it seems that the "energy cost crisis" has allowed Cannan to push through his deal which is great for Ancala Partners LLP but fucks the Manx public right over.

Edited by Ringy Rose

On 11/10/2021 at 7:39 AM, WTF said:

don't worry, all this inflation will be down again in a few months when it comes to determining wage rises.

Wage increases are part of the problem unless tied to increased productivity. Wage increases drive inflation in a vicious circle.

Periodic wage increases as an expectation is very much a problem of the public sector today. Seldom an expectation in the private sector where demand for skills drives wages.

We are coming out of a period of spectacularly low oil and gas prices.

• Thanks 1