Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

On 12/11/2021 at 7:11 PM, 2112 said:

Sadly I see this a mere rubber stamping exercise. I can’t see too much rebellion going on to be honest, much handwringing and emoting but in the end the ayes have it, and up goes the price again. A price rise will affect everyone, and businesses which use gas, so their prices will filter to the consumers. 

I think it has to pass CURA firstly. If you read the notice and the wording, I don't think the rise will get much support. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bazza Smurf said:

Good question. I will try to find out. It might take a few days though. 

Very good question, I look forward to the answer. 

Chris Thomas posted this on Twitter: Manx Gas pays lease costs for on-island gas network to Treasury through MUA. This was £1.2 mio per year @ 6% & is reduced to £0.5mio @ 2% pa. Manx Gas also pays MUA share of costs of gas pipeline to Island, & for its consumed gas which MUA purchases for it from Irish Gas board.

Has the 400 million loan reduced how much the Mua charge the mea? I would guess not.

11 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I don’t know whether that’s good or bad in all honesty. I think Manx Gas play islanders as fools anyway, especially as they are a monopoly. 

I think it could be far worse. It's really a case of fingers crossed. There may well be a further announcement from CURA tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Bazza Smurf said:

I think it could be far worse. It's really a case of fingers crossed. There may well be a further announcement from CURA tomorrow. 

MG local stooge on the NPM handwringing and claiming that MG are running at a loss. Cue the tiny violins …………. 

I don’t think the population could really sustain gas increases month upon month. They don’t like reducing the tariff when the price of gas goes down or it’s done as late as possible. 

Edited by 2112

24 minutes ago, cissolt said:

It's not a minimum 10% profit Jo Cox you massive cunt.

How much profit are they making? What's actually acceptable as a minimum profit?

The 2015 agreement no longer applies and with that the guaranteed 10% is gone out the window too. Expect an announcement from CURA relating to this point. 

37 minutes ago, 2112 said:

MG local stooge on the NPM handwringing and claiming that MG are running at a loss. Cue the tiny violins …………. 

I don’t think the population could really sustain gas increases month upon month. They don’t like reducing the tariff when the price of gas goes down or it’s done as late as possible. 

Hopefully it won't happen. The wholesale price is heading north again. Consumers need the new regulations sooner rather than later with the much lower WACC intact. That should help to balance things out. 

4 minutes ago, finlo said:

She chose her words carefully on MR earlier bleating 'our profits are down 130%!............on last year's'

So why does ManxGas have to make a profit every year like it’s their god given right? Fun fact: businesses can lose money, too, at least out here in the real world. The smart businesses don’t piss all the profits away so they can take a hit when money gets tight. Maybe she could go and ask her shareholders for some cash until prices come down again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4