Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

1 minute ago, Derek Flint said:

gas is 4p versus 9.74p Manx Gas

electris is 19.6p versus 16.9p MUA.

Does that take account of Standing Charges and any, er, "Toilet Taxes" though?

On 12/23/2021 at 1:03 PM, Gladys said:

The report says MG were experiencing a fall in profits, not that they were operating at a loss. 

Lots of businesses suffering a fall in income never mind just profit. They can't go cap in hand and get the government for force an increase

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Lots of businesses suffering a fall in income never mind just profit. They can't go cap in hand and get the government for force an increase

No but if MG go bust because of losses it will cause a lot more problems for business plus Rob Callister has already said electricity is going up minimum 5%

10 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Does that take account of Standing Charges and any, er, "Toilet Taxes" though?

There’s a daily standing charge for both, but don’t forget that council tax is a lot dearer than rates, and water rates are both charged separately, and are excessive. I’m in a Band E property. There’s no real rhyme or reason as to what is in which band or why, but my rates are £2400 a year. Then my water and sewerage on top of that is charged at rateable value, which hasn’t been a relevant metric since the 90’s. That brings my water in at around £600 a year. 

My big gaff in half an acre in Ramsey was about £2200 a year all in. So it really is swings and roundabouts. 

3 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

There’s a daily standing charge for both, but don’t forget that council tax is a lot dearer than rates, and water rates are both charged separately, and are excessive. I’m in a Band E property. There’s no real rhyme or reason as to what is in which band or why, but my rates are £2400 a year. Then my water and sewerage on top of that is charged at rateable value, which hasn’t been a relevant metric since the 90’s. That brings my water in at around £600 a year. 

My big gaff in half an acre in Ramsey was about £2200 a year all in. So it really is swings and roundabouts. 

Get a water meter. I pay £80 / year for water and am on a septic tank which is emptied every ~4 years, so costs ~£150 / year or so. Water is cheap down here for some reason.

I pay higher council tax than you but don't object - Cornwall council does a terrific job despite the Tory funding squeeze.

7 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

Get a water meter. I pay £80 / year for water and am on a septic tank which is emptied every ~4 years, so costs ~£150 / year or so. Water is cheap down here for some reason.

I pay higher council tax than you but don't object - Cornwall council does a terrific job despite the Tory funding squeeze.

Water meter is the plan . I do however have to replace the lead main first which is going to be a couple of grand.

3 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Water meter is the plan . I do however have to replace the lead main first which is going to be a couple of grand.

How long? Here it's ~£1k for a 20m replacement.

Serves you right for having such a large patio, you HNWIs with your mansions!!! How many Wives do you need to bury?

Would re-routing not be a better, cheaper option? Can water pipes be above ground, around your garage, over your patio?

If you need major work, might it be a good time to consider heat recovery equip?

2 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Serves you right for having such a large patio, you HNWIs with your mansions!!! How many Wives do you need to bury?

Would re-routing not be a better, cheaper option? Can water pipes be above ground, around your garage, over your patio?

If you need major work, might it be a good time to consider heat recovery equip?

Lols! The mansions are no more. 3 storey Victorian terrace in a conservation area is the way forward! The patio is the garden! 

Water mains have to go in 750mm deep. It is what it is. We could join st leave the lead in and put a meter in on that, but after 170 years in the ground I can’t see it having much appetite for being chopped around!

1 minute ago, Derek Flint said:

Lols! The mansions are no more. 3 storey Victorian terrace in a conservation area is the way forward! The patio is the garden! 

Water mains have to go in 750mm deep. It is what it is. We could join st leave the lead in and put a meter in on that, but after 170 years in the ground I can’t see it having much appetite for being chopped around!

Get the DOI in from here to sort it for you !

• Haha 3