Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

27 minutes ago, Banker said:

I’m not sure why IOM residents expect to be protected from global price increases in commodities with tax payers money?

Where is there any suggestion of this, other than Facebook?

Having said that, if Jo Cox says the prices will need to remain at high levels for two years then the actual requirement is probably 6 months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Having said that, if Jo Cox says the prices will need to remain at high levels for two years then the actual requirement is probably 6 months.

Well there’s been 100s of tweets, Facebook messages, radio calls etc demanding action from government but if you think residents are happy to accept 50/60% increases you must have seen different information 

• Like 1

There are things that Government could do to help the situation. The main one would be to remove VAT from energy bills until the situation improves - but I suspect that would be difficult with the reciprocal VAT sharing agreements with the UK.

The cost of living situation will get a lot worse if Ashy is planning to a ram raid on taxpayers on budget day.  

10 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well there’s been 100s of tweets, Facebook messages, radio calls etc demanding action from government but if you think residents are happy to accept 50/60% increases you must have seen different information 

I doubt if anybody is happy about it and as a gas consumer I'm not, but most now understand and accept the reasons for it, other than the Social Media cadre.

Government is now offering limited, targeted assistance to assist the low paid and those on fixed incomes deal with a commodity situation that is being exploited and manipulated for the benefit of multi-national concerns and their wealthy and/or institutional shareholders.

There is surely nothing wrong with that or should we leave the poor to freeze to allow the rich to get richer?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I doubt if anybody is happy about it and as a gas consumer I'm not, but most now understand and accept the reasons for it, other than the Social Media cadre.

Government is now offering limited, targeted assistance to assist the low paid and those on fixed incomes deal with a commodity situation that is being exploited and manipulated for the benefit of multi-national concerns and their wealthy and/or institutional shareholders.

There is surely nothing wrong with that or should we leave the poor to freeze to allow the rich to get richer?

I’m happy that low paid are getting assistance but wouldn’t be with blanket assistance eg removing vat on energy. Saw one tweet to Hooper a few days ago from someone who’s increased gas bill had just arrived and demanding to know what government was going to do about it!

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Well it’s a minimum RPI increase so minimum 5% unless Comin use more money to subsidize 

Aye... I'm pissed off that IOMG is subsidising Manx Gas using taxpayers money, both as a non-gas user and also on the principle that no one really knows when this will end. Prices are unlikely to come down to the levels they were previously and so this sets a precedent for MG to hold out their hand again.

Why can't it be done in the form of a claim per gas customer?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Don't believe any of the BS that comes from MG or Ms Cox.

ETA: remember the "Green Gas" (or whatever it was) quote??? Utter bollox. 

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Aye... I'm pissed off that IOMG is subsidising Manx Gas using taxpayers money, both as a non-gas user and also on the principle that no one really knows when this will end. Prices are unlikely to come down to the levels they were previously and so this sets a precedent for MG to hold out their hand again.

Why can't it be done in the form of a claim per gas customer?

We have been around in a circle on this. It seems they either hold their hand out for more, (either customers, government or a combination) or they sink.

Neither are good options. 

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

We have been around in a circle on this. It seems they either hold their hand out for more, (either customers, government or a combination) or they sink.

MG customers should make a claim for a rebate from IOMG if it is offering the subsidy. The support should go straight to the end user not MG or the funding will get swallowed up in their operating cashflow. 

The actual pricing mechanism of the gas agreed between IOMG & MG and charged to the customer shouldn't need to change.

The present arrangement is masking and distorting the wholesale supply agreement.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

MG customers should make a claim for a rebate from IOMG if it is offering the subsidy. The support should go straight to the end user not MG or the funding will get swallowed up in their operating cashflow. 

The actual pricing mechanism of the gas agreed between IOMG & MG and charged to the customer shouldn't need to change.

The present arrangement is masking and distorting the wholesale supply agreement.

I understand that. The issue MG will have though is that they will surely have no cash to buy gas anymore. They buy it off IOMG so IOMG have 2 choices. Refuse to sell them gas on credit (and see them go under)  or subsidise it.

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Which of these three have been making millions in profits over many years?

Perhaps that would be the best one to weather the brunt of the storm.

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

The issue MG will have though is that they will surely have no cash to buy gas anymore.

Then their LLP owners should put their hands in their own pockets to finance THEIR operation the same as many, many other companies in the private sector do (perhaps they could start by not remitting their monthly management fees to USA for a start, that would improve their cashflow).

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Then their LLP owners should put their hands in their own pockets to finance THEIR operation the same as many, many other companies in the private sector do (perhaps they could start by not remitting their monthly management fees to USA for a start, that would improve their cashflow).

Is it a limited company? The parent company won't be dipping into their pockets unless they are legally obliged to. Ethically you might say they should, but ethics rarely apply in business.

39 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Is it a limited company? The parent company won't be dipping into their pockets unless they are legally obliged to. Ethically you might say they should, but ethics rarely apply in business.

Correct, ethics are a rarity in business, which is exactly why they should fund their own business with their own money. I don't think many would really give a flying fig how they fund it, but fund it they should without State aid. 

I wouldn't be surprised if MUA give them some credit, IOMG is soft like that.

COMIN, if they haven't already, should be preparing to step in to operate/supply/guarantee supplies to their share/stakeholders (the Great Manx Taxpayer).

As has been pointed out by me and others on here.... what the feck have they done with all the profit they have made over the years?

• Like 2