Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

3 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Will new buildings standards specify heat pumps rather than gas?

I wish they would but I don't see it before 2050 if we are lucky.

It makes me sick seeing those new builds in Ballasalla with no solar or heat pumps as standard.

Don't get me wrong, we need to build houses and Dandra build a good house but unless they are made to by Building Regs they will not install any of the planet saving stuff we need.

That site has the space on the bypass route to have ground source heat pumps for all the properties.

Edited by Boris Johnson

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Fossil fuel boilers banned from new builds from 2025 but can see this being pushed out unless prices for air/ground source heat pumps falls

They are not really practicable on anything other than new builds and should be a requirement ASAP.

It may push the cost of a new 3 bed semi up by  £10k Its not a lot in the whole scheme of things

11 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

They are not really practicable on anything other than new builds and should be a requirement ASAP.

It may push the cost of a new 3 bed semi up by  £10k Its not a lot in the whole scheme of things

That's right. But developers will never do anything that costs more...until they have no choice. If it's made a requirement then it's a level playing field. Then they will do it and be happy to do it. That's because the competition will have to do it too.

Its unbelievable that it's not already in place. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

That's right. But developers will never do anything that costs more...until they have no choice. If it's made a requirement then it's a level playing field. Then they will do it and be happy to do it. That's because the competition will have to do it too.

Its unbelievable that it's not already in place. 

Because most buyers don’t want to or can’t pay an extra £10/£15k for a house even to save the planet!

3 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Fully agree I looked at a heat pump on a conversion recently. It’s pie in the sky for most applications that aren’t completely new build. If your house isn’t fully sealed either they’re a complete waste of time for 5 x the cost of a new efficient gas boiler. 

Exactly, retrofits rarely work as you need much bigger rads (lower flow temps) or UFH (prohibitive) and much better insulation and most of all cheap electricity.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

One of my kids signed up to the audit scheme and is still waiting a few months later for any reply. I don’t think they have qualified people on panel to actually give the assessments / advice you’re supposed to be paying for. 

They were free assessments which is why everyone signed up plus 50% grant for energy improvements 

8 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

The cost of the survey was (is) £75 which you pay for

DD03CD17-83AB-4249-9126-BFD33A30CA27.jpeg
The loft insulation payment is great too. A maximum of £250 when a sheet of 40mm Kingspan is about £50. So ignoring labour that’s about 5 or 6 sheets of kingspan which is hardly anything at all. 

But it’s upto £6k grants I think so if you’ve hit an old poorly insulated house it’s a good contribution, anyway Chris Thomas is calling for schemes to be scrapped as it’s a shambles!!

Whilst ever ruthless and avaricious  builders get boilers which tie people to gas for next to nothing, then nothing will change. Profit is king before any other consideration. 

We need quality not quantity and that is not what is being built at present.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The only viable solution to our contribution to the global problem is to demolish everything that's more than ten years old and rebuild everything to a future-proof standard.

The Greens can crowd-fund it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Deep retrofit is regarded as much less damaging to the environment than new build - however in urban areas older houses of what may now be regarded as low construction quality should surely be replaced with contemporary low rise design?

High heat air source pumps are apparently under development for those older buildings that are deemed worthy of retrofit

16 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Deep retrofit is regarded as much less damaging to the environment than new build - however in urban areas older houses of what may now be regarded as low construction quality should surely be replaced with contemporary low rise design?

High heat air source pumps are apparently under development for those older buildings that are deemed worthy of retrofit

Yes. Retrofit is possible. The biggest cost though is all the redecorating and electrical work that is required. 

If an old house is being refurbished top to bottom its well worth it. 

Not so good of you just decorated. 

Insulating an old manx house makes an unbelievable difference. I did it. It was a massive job though.

• Like 3