Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

10 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Well, the MUA now says it's making money...of course, there are those on these Boards who recently seemed to be trying to deny that the MEA scandal ever existed too....

Screenshot_20220108-193635_Chrome.jpg

I bet our irresponsible Government will blow this surplus money on one of its big nice to haves pointless and useless grandiose schemes which serve no purpose. I could be wrong and the money is used to service the debt?

• Haha 2

This profit would be threatened by Wind generation in Manx waters, better for the Nat Grid to have clean energy than our Gas Turbine surplus?

Of course, we should not curtail Wind greener energy just to protect 'our' profit.

12 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Well, the MUA now says it's making money...of course, there are those on these Boards who recently seemed to be trying to deny that the MEA scandal ever existed too....

Screenshot_20220108-193635_Chrome.jpg

MUA was (until recently) making a surplus (which did not include payback of bonds).

I'll bet there's no surplus this year. I'll bet there is a massive deficit.😭

23 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Didn't the then Treasury Minister Cannan raise £400m to pay off MUA debt as well as new boat and Liverpool terminal?

Where did the £400m come from? He either incurred £400m of debt to pay off £400m of debt, or it was £400m that should have been spent on paying for hip replacements.

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

Didn't the then Treasury Minister Cannan raise £400m to pay off MUA debt as well as new boat and Liverpool terminal?

And "Green Initiatives". Although when the numbers were crunched, only £40M (10%) was apportioned to that. The rest was to service the debts already discussed. By Bond issue, isn't it?

ETA There's a couple of threads on the topic

Screenshot_20220117-125852_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SleepyJoe said:

"The Isle of Man has committed to reach net zero carbon emissions by 2050, and has a target to transition to 75% renewable sources for electricity by 2035."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-58543924

I'll be very surprised if that target is met. That's only 13 years away! It'll take at least two administration's worth of time just to get the planning approvals in place, let alone the equipment/sources.

• Like 2