Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

On 2/17/2022 at 9:29 PM, Omobono said:

Whats even worse is a little bird tells me its going to cost around £24 million to capture and pump sewerage from  Lower Laxey and pump it over the hill ,at an electricity charge not yet calculated , and to a  transfer station somewhere in darkest Baldrine , I sincerely one of the Tynwald value for money committees  picks this project up and investigates it to see if a its viable ,  and secondly if its the only solution ,    and finally if its best value for money , 

On 2/22/2022 at 10:45 AM, Happier diner said:

It would represent to stupidest waste of money ever (well since IRIS - which is partly excusable as they didn't know any better then

IRiS. ‘Lessons will be learned’. 

An engineer explained to me the reason it failed is that it is extremely difficult to pump shit uphill. 

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

An engineer explained to me the reason it failed is that it is extremely difficult to pump shit uphill. 

That's a pathetic response from an engineer, it reads more like a feeble excuse. Why would it be extremely difficult? Surely it's not a lot different than engineering a system to allow an effective flow downhill? 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Banker said:

New regulations going to Tynwald today so price rises April 1st , what’s the guess ! I’m going for 40% plus 25% electricity 

I can see electricity being +30 - 35% 🙁

1 hour ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Surely it's not a lot different than engineering a system to allow an effective flow downhill?

I would assume as a layman in terms of shit ( except for talking it LOL ), the downhill does not need pressure uphill does !

1 hour ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

That's a pathetic response from an engineer, it reads more like a feeble excuse. Why would it be extremely difficult? Surely it's not a lot different than engineering a system to allow an effective flow downhill? 

It's not difficult to pump shit uphill it's expensive!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Banker said:

New regulations going to Tynwald today so price rises April 1st , what’s the guess ! I’m going for 40% plus 25% electricity 

Gas double, electricity double based on quotes a few weeks ago in the UK.

2 hours ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Plenty of small villages round here pump uphill.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.107354,-5.1446716,3a,75y,115.19h,100.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssQpKDPLGkENv1y5zUnFveA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

What failed?

Its not difficult to pump sewage up hill. It happens all the time. It not the best environmental solution in my opinion, but it seem the silly burghers in Laxey have got their way and its the only option then what else can be said. Everyone else will be paying for it for years.

If my memory serves me correctly the original model that IRIS was sold to the IOM on was based in Holland/The Netherlands. Consequently, when applied to the Island, "difficulties" were encountered. The seller duly received a great deal of discreditation in time too because the Netherlands are notoriously flat, topographically speaking, so the system worked and was practical there.

That's why the plan was amended to having regional processing plants here; which will be finished one day.....

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

What failed?

Its not difficult to pump sewage up hill. It happens all the time. It not the best environmental solution in my opinion, but it seem the silly burghers in Laxey have got their way and its the only option then what else can be said. Everyone else will be paying for it for years.

Maybe they could adapt the Lady Isabella to pump the poo. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I was surprised that the UK relies on Russia for only 3% of its gas supply! 

When and why were you surprised. Its been posted on here a few times.

It has a massive knock on effect for us though so don't underestimate the significance. If the Germans lose their Russian supply they will come trying to buy ours and that's why (one reason anyway) the price is rocketing

8 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

When and why were you surprised. Its been posted on here a few times.

It has a massive knock on effect for us though so don't underestimate the significance. If the Germans lose their Russian supply they will come trying to buy ours and that's why (one reason anyway) the price is rocketing

Sorry, I've not been following the thread closely and only just picked up on the fact. 

I understand the knock on effects of course! It just seemed that it had been bandied about that we were heavily reliant on Russian gas, we are yes, but not for our own use!