Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

31 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Thanks John.  That only accounts for part of the rebate.  I'm sure Chris Thomas mentioned that the rest goes toward paying the dodgy loans

No. The dodgy loans were refinanced years ago. Now they’ve been refinanced at a fixed low interest rate. So the interest saving is the 750k.

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

The quote has now gone live from Rob Callister that I heard on Friday. So he singularly doesn’t believe in regulation at this time and in some bizarre way thinks that will protect his constituents  from price increases?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/mhk-rejects-energy-supplier-regulations

Of course as the Chairman of the MUA what that approach would do is ensure that the MUA can pass on cost increases much more quickly to Manx Gas without having any real impact on their margins as they’d just pass them all on without any potential regulatory intervention. How stupid does he actually think people in Onchan are?

He believes that the runway's finished too....

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Did his management style as CM solicit the right response from anyone?

How did HQ have a "Management Style"?

He was a small time farmer and part time holiday cottage renter outer.

Hardly a business type that is known for its go getters and dynamic personalities...................

• Like 3

Tomorrow is my day to see if there is any chance at all to resurrect a refund from the local gas supplier.

Barry Murphy to appear before Committee

The Economic Policy Review Committee, a Standing Committee of Tynwald, will be taking oral evidence on Wednesday 23rd March 2022 in the Legislative Council Chamber, Legislative Buildings, Bucks Road, Douglas. 

Evidence will be heard at 2.30pm from Mr Barry Murphy, Campaigner and Administrator of the Isle of Man Utility Customers Working Group. Mr Murphy’s online petition relating to gas prices can be read here.

The evidence will be taken in public. Members of the public are welcome to attend, and the proceedings can also be heard on the “live and listen again” audio webcast service on the Tynwald website:

The members of the Economic Policy Review Committee appointed by Tynwald are Mrs Claire Christian MHK (Chair), Mr John Wannenburgh MHK, and Mr Jason Moorhouse MHK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Did his management style as CM solicit the right response from anyone?

Did he have any management style at all...? We know about the footwear style.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bazza Smurf said:

Tomorrow is my day to see if there is any chance at all to resurrect a refund from the local gas supplier.

Barry Murphy to appear before Committee

The Economic Policy Review Committee, a Standing Committee of Tynwald, will be taking oral evidence on Wednesday 23rd March 2022 in the Legislative Council Chamber, Legislative Buildings, Bucks Road, Douglas. 

Evidence will be heard at 2.30pm from Mr Barry Murphy, Campaigner and Administrator of the Isle of Man Utility Customers Working Group. Mr Murphy’s online petition relating to gas prices can be read here.

The evidence will be taken in public. Members of the public are welcome to attend, and the proceedings can also be heard on the “live and listen again” audio webcast service on the Tynwald website:

The members of the Economic Policy Review Committee appointed by Tynwald are Mrs Claire Christian MHK (Chair), Mr John Wannenburgh MHK, and Mr Jason Moorhouse MHK.

Good luck but I think we all know that ship has sailed Bazza

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bazza Smurf said:

Once the increase is approved by the regulator I guess. Not sure they know what exactly the gas company is looking for yet. 

Eyeballs and their sockets too as usual...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Eyeballs and their sockets too as usual...

Probably. Nothing however will be as bad as what we had previously for regulation. It's a horrible nasty situation currently what's happening with high wholesale prices. I hope and have faith that in the longer term CURA will stand gas consumers good. 

I can see log burners being next for the chop.  Their demand has shot up all across the country, and i would be staggered if they don't start banning them except for certain areas out in the sticks. Some people have 2-3 of them in their house and they are rumoured to be dreadful for the environment.  I would still like one though!

Gas increase is now 202% total is it not?

Edited by somewhatdamaged
  • Like 1