Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

2 minutes ago, Cambon said:

They should set a zero rate of VAT on electricity until things have stabilised. At least that benefits everyone. 

That’s upto UK under VAT sharing deal, problem is that will benefit everyone including the wealthy so not sure that will help much of just it’s only 5%

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Why do you think you should get a higher discount than 1% for direct debits?

Well it's currently 2.5% discount, and they benefit from a regular and consistent cash flow that they are in control of.

If they don't want to offer a sensible discount that's fine, I'll just pay by cheque and it'll cost them more. Another consequence of CURA's acquiescence.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1

The new horrendous price cap causing chaos in the UK is 7.37p per kWh, albeit with their standing charge being 10p per day more than here.

So Manx Gas need a 100% markup on UK prices or they'll go bust. Aye, and I'm the Pope.

CURA really have fucked us all over. I'm sure it's been made worth their while. No, I'm not any less angry today.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

They’d certainly notice if everyone cancelled their DD and paid by cheque. The discounts are there to incentivize better cash flow for them. 

82 likes so far for the same policy 

FB533EF9-6751-4DCB-93EB-5E517B2BE803.jpeg

I don't think they've accepted cheques for some time now. It's credit/debit card over the phone to their absolutely fucking useless automated system that drops out halfway through the process that then obliges you to make a second phonecall to a human operator just to complete the payment. I wouldn't trust MG with a DD, personally.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I don't think they've accepted cheques for some time now. It's credit/debit card over the phone to their absolutely fucking useless automated system that drops out halfway through the process that then obliges you to make a second phonecall to a human operator just to complete the payment. I wouldn't trust MG with a DD, personally.

Never had any problems with DD and you are fully protected by banks for any errors.

Of course if you cancel DDs because discount is only 1% then people are just costing themselves more whilst whining about the cost!!

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

Of course if you cancel DDs because discount is only 1% then people are just costing themselves more whilst whining about the cost!!

With a DD the cost is spread over the year, so effectively you pay them in advance in summer for your winter usage, foregoing any interest, which they earn instead.

At 2.5% this is worth doing. At 1% it isn't. I'd rather keep the money in my account.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

Gef reporting MG are also cutting the direct debit discount to 1%. For me, that's another tenner a month on my bill. And they get to keep the interest.

1% of a helluva lot can often be more (or the same) as 3% of much less.

By that, I mean I guess this figure of theirs might be based on their calculated amount for aiding cashflow, administrating cash, chasing debts and debt collection. Otherwise why offer any discount?

2 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

The new horrendous price cap causing chaos in the UK is 7.37p per kWh, albeit with their standing charge being 10p per day more than here.

So Manx Gas need a 100% markup on UK prices or they'll go bust. Aye, and I'm the Pope.

CURA really have fucked us all over. I'm sure it's been made worth their while. No, I'm not any less angry today.

I think you need to get over it. We are not in the UK. Someone has to pay off the cost of 100kms of pipeline. We are an island in the middle of the sea. 

Edited by Happier diner

35 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I think you need to get over it. We are not in the UK. Someone has to pay off the cost of 100kms of pipeline. We are an island in the middle of the sea. 

We paid for the pipeline.  We own the infrastructure. We paid for the conversion to natural gas.

Manx gas own the pipe to the door, and I'm sure that is leased.

This was discussed in the public accounts committee meeting and repeated on gef the mongoose.

You really need to read a bit more before commenting on things you have little knowledge of.

https://gef.im/2022/02/21/mhk-we-dont-need-manx-gas/

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

With a DD the cost is spread over the year, so effectively you pay them in advance in summer for your winter usage, foregoing any interest, which they earn instead.

At 2.5% this is worth doing. At 1% it isn't. I'd rather keep the money in my account.

No you don’t, my DD goes out after I’ve had the bill ! However it’s normally only for £12 in winter for gas fire & the refund I’ve just got was more than last year’s bills!

Edited by Banker

Just now, Banker said:

No you don’t, my DD goes out after I’ve had the bill !

My DD is the same every month. So in summer it is vastly more than my usage, and in winter it is less than my usage. I'm normally in credit in the summer, whittling it away in the winter.

It suits me because of the discount, but if there's no worthwhile discount I'll keep hold of my money till the winter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cissolt said:

We paid for the pipeline.  We own the infrastructure. We paid for the conversion to natural gas.

Manx gas own the pipe to the door, and I'm sure that is leased.

This was discussed in the public accounts committee meeting and repeated on gef the mongoose.

You really need to read a bit more before commenting on things you have little knowledge of.

https://gef.im/2022/02/21/mhk-we-dont-need-manx-gas/

We own the pipeline but that was via a loan that has to be repayed. 

What is the difference between to infrastructure and the pipe to my door. 

Who is we?