Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

On 4/17/2022 at 1:02 PM, TheTeapot said:

I'm struggling to see how it can save you loads of money?

I've long wondered that about smart thermostats too.

My thermostat is old school but between that and the timer function on my boiler I get everything that I'd get from Hive or the like.  The boiler timer means the heating doesn't come on when I don't want it to, and the thermostat means it also doesn't come on if my house is warm enough already.

The main reason why I'm suspicious of Hive is that British Gas- who supplied my energy when I lived across- would ring me up every couple of weeks begging me to take one.  Call me a cynic, but I'm guessing this isn't because it's going to cut my gas usage and leave me paying less to British Gas.

But then I don't understand why anyone would pay good money to Amazon just to have Jeff Bezos spying on everything you say and using it to sell you shite you don't need.

2 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

Commercial gas supply tariffs for high users are negotiated directly between Manx Gas and the relevant businesses.  Manx Gas won't be underselling themselves.

No, CURA have done a good job so far in standing up to them in a way that OFT never did.  It's almost as though the CURA CEO has a lot of experience in the industry.

I was very hard on CURA earlier in the thread but my opinion has been revised.  We'll see how it goes.

Please try to come to the Q&A session once I get the date and venue. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

I've long wondered that about smart thermostats too.

My thermostat is old school but between that and the timer function on my boiler I get everything that I'd get from Hive or the like.  The boiler timer means the heating doesn't come on when I don't want it to, and the thermostat means it also doesn't come on if my house is warm enough already.

The main reason why I'm suspicious of Hive is that British Gas- who supplied my energy when I lived across- would ring me up every couple of weeks begging me to take one.  Call me a cynic, but I'm guessing this isn't because it's going to cut my gas usage and leave me paying less to British Gas.

But then I don't understand why anyone would pay good money to Amazon just to have Jeff Bezos spying on everything you say and using it to sell you shite you don't need.

I've got Jo Cox as my combined thermostat and boiler timer now, works well. The heating doesn't come on at all....

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, Bazza Smurf said:

Please try to come to the Q&A session once I get the date and venue. 

I'd be interested to hear more from Ivan Kiely about it, that's for sure. I think he'll be an interesting speaker. Hope you get it sorted.

I'd also listen to Jo Cox, even though we all know she'd be setting a new world record for lies-per-minute.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, finlo said:

Nobles the islands largest user pays next to nothing per therm make of that what you will.

I’m sure most government offices do, also MUA have been using taxpayers money to subsidize commercial businesses electricity last 12 months, that probably includes Nobles 

1 hour ago, finlo said:

Nobles the islands largest user pays next to nothing per therm make of that what you will.

That's one big set of gas tanks out Jurby, adjacent to the prison too..?

1 hour ago, finlo said:

In manufacturing, usually high quantity users pay a lower cost per unit because it costs less per unit to manufacture a million widgets than it does to manufacture a single item.

High quantity users of a scarce resource should pay a higher price than low quantity users - otherwise there would not be much incentive to reduce their consumption.

If gas is not a scarce resource and more consumption is better, perhaps someone should set up a company to supply gas to all IoM domestic users. Obviously it will will be in line for low cost per unit - which could be passed onto the customers. Unlikely.