Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

11 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Agreed.  I doubt ancala are feeling the pinch.

What is the muas role in all this? I thought they hedged 111% for the year?

Chairman Rob reporting that electric will also go up Oct 1st.

Have they been allowed to hedge since?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-gas-says-government-declined-hedging-request/

46 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Squeeze the cojones of the Manx gas board for starters. I refuse to believe they have done all they can to put this company in its place. 

I'm at a loss as to what Manx Gas actually bring to the table (other than increased tariffs) that MUA can't do themselves on our behalf. They're just an added layer of expense. Nothing more than a middle man.

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

I do feel now government need to do something very quickly or there is going to be a lot of people in poverty. 
they can’t keep handing out pay outs to people as that is money that could help pay towards changing our energy supplies. With  the rising costs in gas electric will follow and so will food.

I think they are going to have to ask people if they want open fires, especially to the ones in the local board housing who they made switch to gas.

for the short term any way, to give them time to sort this mess out.,

Reconvene Tynwald immediately as this is a national emergency.... not for those on £65k plus as all Tynwald members are... but for the vast majority of the GMP it's an emergency. 

Steps that need to be taken:

1) Make all buses free to use 

2) Stop the exterior illumination of public buildings at night. 

3) Freeze on all non-urgent capital expenditure 

4) Freeze on recruitment for all departments except essential services 

5) Manx Radio reduced to 0600-1900 each day

6) Freeze on all local authority rate rises. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Reconvene Tynwald immediately as this is a national emergency.... not for those on £65k plus as all Tynwald members are... but for the vast majority of the GMP it's an emergency. 

Steps that need to be taken:

1) Make all buses free to use 

2) Stop the exterior illumination of public buildings at night. 

3) Freeze on all non-urgent capital expenditure 

4) Freeze on recruitment for all departments except essential services 

5) Manx Radio reduced to 0600-1900 each day

6) Freeze on all local authority rate rises. 

Actually kind of sensible.  To be honest there is nothing that can be done about the price of gas, but making some changes to Govt funded services might be a start. 

Bear in mind that all public servants are demanding significant pay rises now too. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Actually kind of sensible.  To be honest there is nothing that can be done about the price of gas, but making some changes to Govt funded services might be a start. 

Bear in mind that all public servants are demanding significant pay rises now too. 

I don't see a way that we can't give public sector pay rises. 

I disagree with the disparity of public sector being highly paid in comparison  to the GMP in the private sector. But we will end up with a general strike if not given. 

ETA we also can't wait until October to take action. 

Tynwald needs to pull their fingers out of their collective arse and recall immediately.

Edited by 0bserver
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

While energy suppliers rake in record profits, I’d argue there is something that could be done about the gas price. 

6 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

I disagree with the disparity of public sector being highly paid in comparison  to the GMP in the private sector.

I think realistically the pay is fairly similar.  It's just if we in the private world fuck up we'll get fired and we also don't get bloody massive pensions.  To be honest though there needs to be an incentive to work in places like hospitals and schools.  There is a problem that when you say 'public servants' you are lumping in all the Govt Office lakkies with frontline services that are actually required. 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

While energy suppliers rake in record profits, I’d argue there is something that could be done about the gas price. 

In what way? All utilities are under Government control with the exception of Manx Gas. 

Tynwald had the chance to nationalise it when they were on the ropes, but for some bizarre reason they agreed to price rises and now they're back in rude health... 

8 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

True, but there is not much that can be done.  Remember the discussions about a windfall tax?  I don't think that the energy firms are rigging the market that much, they will always make X% on the sales.  But if the price of the commodity goes up, they'll make more money by still taking the same X%. 

And remember, we (UK) actually don't get that much gas from Russia, we're actually fairly self sufficient and I think it was 5-10%.  It's just that wholesale market price has gone up globally.  UK cos won't sell UK gas just to the UK at a discount unless they are forced, and how effective this would be is debatable. 

Edited by The Phantom

12 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

BP and Centrica (BG) the latest. The problem is that these multi nationals have grown so powerful that when they start taking the piss Governments, including ours, are too scared or chummy to do anything about it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

BP and Centrica (BG) the latest. The problem is that these multi nationals have grown so powerful that when they start taking the piss Governments, including ours, are too scared or chummy to do anything about it.

People power then. 

2 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

It’s ok the ones in power are going to look at it October. Very good of them,  
i think they are paid to much to sit on their backsides.
They have nothing planned have they?  No forward thinking from any of them. 
I haven’t a clue what they do all day every day. As they have an army of workers  under them.

Simple Simon comes to mind.

all they ever do is look , never any meaningful action after looking though..

• Like 3