Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

1 hour ago, snowman said:

Clearly some have money still. Yes, you're one of them. Congratulations 

Thank you ! My life though is quite frugal and cut my cloth accordingly when on incapacity and cut out Sky and my phone contract and anything else I could do without. My gas heating hasn't been on for at least 5 years and Electric use is a minimum. I also cook most of my meals which with creative cooking can live on very little. My visits to JPAP are usually treating myself as a reward for that same frugal lifestyle. I live alone so its relative easy to adopt these measures while times are hard. I dont have money really just take care of what I do have. Good luck in months to come in getting through these difficult times.  

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Blaming Callister,  what on earth can he do? 

Hi Rob , listen we are going to address help we can give to GMP in October when we are all back from our extended holidays .  

Well we can't wait that long CM . We need to call everyone in in the next few weeks and address the issues now. I  I will actively drum up support from my fellow MHK's starting from now. 

That would be a good start !!.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

The UK buys our gas, less than 3% was bought from Russia. There is blatant profiteering by someone somewhere, the backlash has to work its way upwards, or we just eat shit!

The wholesale cost has gone up because everyone wants gas now. You really ought to read a newspaper or watch the news. I am staggered at your lack of understanding.  

16 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The wholesale cost has gone up because everyone wants gas now. You really ought to read a newspaper or watch the news. I am staggered at your lack of understanding.  

Don't be staggered, of course I understand that. I also understand that there is more to this than meets the eye. Don't be suckered here, we are really being taken for a ride, big time! 

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

Don't be staggered, of course I understand that. I also understand that there is more to this than meets the eye. Don't be suckered here, we are really being taken for a ride, big time! 

By whom though?

By the companies that extract the gas maybe. But then what can they do other than sell to the highest bidder? They have an asset that everyone wants, something in short supply. How could they though favour one over another? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Thank you ! My life though is quite frugal and cut my cloth accordingly when on incapacity and cut out Sky and my phone contract and anything else I could do without. My gas heating hasn't been on for at least 5 years and Electric use is a minimum. I also cook most of my meals which with creative cooking can live on very little. My visits to JPAP are usually treating myself as a reward for that same frugal lifestyle. I live alone so its relative easy to adopt these measures while times are hard. I dont have money really just take care of what I do have. Good luck in months to come in getting through these difficult times.  

took me a while to work out JPAP.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

They've had years to invest the taxpayers money in renewable energy generation & have done absolutely fuck all about it

Absolutely. But do you have that warm glow of assurance that we are cracking on full speed. Emergency planning consents etc. To get a couple of turbines in to half our gas use. 

I don't 

Edited by Happier diner

The CEO of Manx Gas has been on the NPM saying the IOMG should be equal in their support to gas users, with the cost of gas. That’s highly unlikely as IOMG only do something when petitions are launched and not generates large numbers of signatures or negative publicity, They wouldn’t do what the UK Government did with £150 payment to council tax payers A-D and there is another £400 payment due. IOMG would moan about cost. In the meantime, if friends of IOMG were in difficulties, they would be bailed out - especially ironic when owned or controlled by exceptionally wealthy people. 

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Absolutely. But do you have that warm glow of assurance that we are cracking on full speed. Emergency planning consents etc. To get a couple of turbines in to half our gas use. 

I don't 

What you describe will take years, and with IOMG will cost £mmms. Can you imagine even the erection of a couple of wind turbines? IOMG would get ripped off by the manufacturer, then it be negligent installation, and the wind turbine wouldn’t work. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 2112 said:

What you describe will take years, and with IOMG will cost £mmms. Can you imagine even the erection of a couple of wind turbines? IOMG would get ripped off by the manufacturer, then it be negligent installation, and the wind turbine wouldn’t work. 

The green plan is a second interconnector and importing biomass fuel.  Looking at how much biomass fuel the st Johns office uses, we will be burning wood on an epic scale.

34 minutes ago, 2112 said:

£/MW Wind is the cheapest by miles. We have a £42M green fund. That would buy a number of turbines, possibly enough to supply half of our daily demand.

If what @Boris Johnsonj says we are losing £1M per week then surely its a no brainer

Why on earth do you think we would get a negligent installation the the wind turbine wouldnt work? Its fairly simple stuff. Put the turbine where its windy. We are spoilt for choice.

4 on Peel Hill and 10 on Douglas Head would be a start.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I read yesterday on Manx Radio that the gas increases are going to take the average yearly gas bills up to £673. 

Really? £673 divided by twelve is £51. My direct debit to Manx Gas is already £51/month and that's just for cooking and hot water and I live alone in a tiny house. What family is going to heat their house for £51 through the winter?

Up by £673. Not £673 in total?

• Like 1