Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

9 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

£/MW Wind is the cheapest by miles. We have a £42M green fund. That would buy a number of turbines, possibly enough to supply half of our daily demand.

If what @Boris Johnsonj says we are losing £1M per week then surely its a no brainer

Why on earth do you think we would get a negligent installation the the wind turbine wouldnt work? Its fairly simple stuff. Put the turbine where its windy. We are spoilt for choice.

4 on Peel Hill and 10 on Douglas Head would be a start.

Everything you say is correct all I’m commenting is the fact that IOMG couldn’t run an orgy in sauna club. It would get ripped off shockingly, and not forgetting the competing ‘green’ lunatics who are totally blinkered, the whole idea would become bogged down. That’s not considering the likes of the ‘societies’ who would object to the idea on the grounds of landscape, This may affect the islands beloved scared cow UNESCO Biosphere. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

Everything you say is correct all I’m commenting is the fact that IOMG couldn’t run an orgy in sauna club. It would get ripped off shockingly, and not forgetting the competing ‘green’ lunatics who are totally blinkered, the whole idea would become bogged down. That’s not considering the likes of the ‘societies’ who would object to the idea on the grounds of landscape, This may affect the islands beloved scared cow UNESCO Biosphere. 

Just keep the project away from the DOI. It will be fine.🤣

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I read it three times just to be sure.  Now, I can't find it. Perhaps that's what they meant. MR reporting.

Is this the one.

Gas prices were last increased in April 2022 with the latest increase representing an increase of £677 per year for the average customer. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/gas-prices-to-rise-again-in-september/

11 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Your lifestyle is my lifestyle, even so, it's a worry for the future. My electric bill this summer is twice what it was last summer and all I'm running is fridge/freezer and  washing machine. This morning while out walking I found a huge branch that had fallen across a footpath. I went home for the portable chainsaw and it's currently in my back garden waiting to be chopped up for the woodstore. I mean, I don't mind, in fact, I quite enjoy it, but what about those poor souls who, unlike us, are still on incapacity? What kind of winter can they expect?

Sadly not a nice one. Good to see your making use of natural and free resources, but before long if the green lobby get their way, wood burners and solid fuel stoves will be banned.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

You would think so but was in Just Pizza and Pasta last night with visiting friends and when leaving at 7 ish the entrance foyer area was rammed , at least 20 people , with people waiting for there tables or on walk ins. The place was full and on a wednesday too.. Clearly some have money still . 

Prices were around £2 to £3 higher than a year or so ago .

Was in there Weds night, exactly the same. Queueing out the door.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Actually - it was on the BBC site not Manx radio (soz)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-62422482

ETA - that article now says an increase -on the website it says it will take bills up to an average. 

I'm now shooting myself in the foot.  Please ignore all my posts.  Forever.  Thank you.

You are forgiven😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why doesn't the Government make everyone pay a Manx Gas Tariff even if they don't have Gas. If they sent everyone a bill for a stand order charge to every property on Island, this could cut the gas charge to us manx gas consumers down.  People who have installed solar or ground heat source should be charge at the top scale, while oil at the lower end.

http://www.manxgas.com/downloads/manx-gas-tariffs-april-2022.pdf

Edited by Holte End

53 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Was in there Weds night, exactly the same. Queueing out the door.

We're not going to see the full hit until somewhere between October and Janury. MUA have only just applied the second  part of their 30% increase. The further Manx Gas rise will take hold from September 1st. So we won't see it hit for a little while yet. 

But then the people most impacted by this won't be eating out often anyway as they're already just keeping their heads above water as it is.

7 hours ago, Happier diner said:

By whom though?

By the companies that extract the gas maybe. But then what can they do other than sell to the highest bidder? They have an asset that everyone wants, something in short supply. How could they though favour one over another? 

Yes, the fuel companies are having a huge windfall, but also government is benefitting massively in tax receipts, from the companies and most of all us!! There is no will to do anything about it, those on the poverty line will probably get some support, the rest of us can buy heat source pumps and electric cars or lump it!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

We're not going to see the full hit until somewhere between October and Janury. MUA have only just applied the second  part of their 30% increase. The further Manx Gas rise will take hold from September 1st. So we won't see it hit for a little while yet. 

But then the people most impacted by this won't be eating out often anyway as they're already just keeping their heads above water as it is.

There is bound to be a big rise in electricity as well though isn't there?

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Yes, the fuel companies are having a huge windfall, but also government is benefitting massively in tax receipts, from the companies and most of all us!! There is no will to do anything about it, those on the poverty line will probably get some support, the rest of us can buy heat source pumps and electric cars or lump it!  

Govt accountants will only be looking at things easing the Govt's huge debts and liabilities (and their own salaries), it is up to our elected politicians to make representation in respect of the effects it is having on the populace.

"Lumping it" might also involve moving off the island to "economically fairer" locations too.

Just now, Happier diner said:

There is bound to be a big rise in electricity as well though isn't there?

Yeah, there will be a further rise I'm almost certain of it. Does anyone know the periods they hedge for?

Big Rob C was certainly warning of more rises