Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

14 minutes ago, finlo said:

Is that just for gas as my combined oil and electric have been around £3500 per year for at least a decade?

Yes just gas and just a guess from chatting to gas customers. I estimate averages of both approximately £3.5k. Just guessing by the way. 

9 minutes ago, finlo said:

I try to be frugal but our oil DD has been £150 pcm for a long time and the electricity £130 now increased to £185!

That seems pretty high. For gas & elec (and the shower is gas, and we have a household member who likes 30min showers...) we're paying ~£2400 a year. Plenty of electrical stuff left on 24/7.

God you guys live in a different world...those figures are scary and if I compare them to mine...I totally dont begrudge you  by the way that your able to afford those amounts.  My electric has been around £10 a week but its noticably been going up recently as you'd expect. I have a electric shower and once or twice a week will have a bath fuelled by gas. Gas hob and electric oven. My gas bill yearly will be around £500 but of course again its going to go up considerably from now . My heating is never on as after struggling years ago I got used to living without it as to be honest I just couldnt afford it. So probably gas and electric would have been around  £1100 + a year. , probably already creeping nearer £1300yr . I will say I live alone so obviously less usage for showers etc and cant imagine if I was in a relationship that they would be happy without heating 🤣🤣I get that and if so would be happy to put it on. The whole situation though worries me even with my minimum outlay so I really feel for you guys . I'm so glad that over recent years when been tempted to get Sky/BT  again that I haven't as it leaves me still with wiggle room for the increases coming. Ohh well , lifes tapestries . Hopefully it wont be too long till we can laugh about 2022 and how we survived the inflation and hardships . 

Edited by Numbnuts

It's all a question of mindset. Mine is, "Give the bastards nothing. Or as little as humanly possible."

Bastards being MUA, MG or anything to do with IoMG.

• Like 5

Don't you just love the way you try not to use gas and  standing charge still creeps up to get you. Even if you turned off the main tap you still have to pay. I know electric is still expensive but at least they do not charge you for it lying in wait in the cable, just incase you decide to boil the kettle.  ✌

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Yesterday on radio 4 it stated that in the period May/August 2.4 million U.K. customers used far less power than usual for the time of year. It was thought that most of them were ‘disadvantaged’ financially.

While there are people who can, relatively easily, budget for huge amounts of power and it still not affect their income then ‘we have no problem’. As ever, it’s the ones at the bottom who will suffer the most. They are also the ones least likely to take to the streets. 

It's got to the stage where frankly, I would rather sit in the dark and shiver than give another penny to MG/Ancala and our own in-house, self-serving wasters to squander on power station, ferry terminal, Promenade and whatever else corruption and incompetence.

Bell, Proffitt, the MEA Board, Longworth, Black, Robinson, Baker, Gawne, Harmer, the lot of them, including the dicks from the OFT who came up with the previous Gas Regulatory Agreement. If there's a shortfall anywhere, take it out of their pension entitlements and benefits.

If anybody thinks that the first ethos of Manx public service is to serve the public, they've got it sadly wrong.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Anyone else noticed that MG computerised billing system has changed?

I had a bill late May. I pay a fixed amount by DD monthly. There was a balance due and I paid, and I also upped my DD.

my bill at end July didn’t record any payments received, the balance carried forward from May and the opening balance for July were different. The figures of gas consumed, plus payments my bank shows as paid, don’t tie in.

I spoke to someone over the phone. They said the billing would be sorted by September. I then e-mailed asking for a break down of all gas and Standing charge and VAT, less DD discount, since January, and all payments received since January. 10 days ago. No response.

Over the phone MG accepted they’d got a new programme and it was having teething problems. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I noted last week that their over-the-phone automated bill payment system wouldn't accept the new invoice number format. Had to pay at the Post Office instead.

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Don't you just love the way you try not to use gas and  standing charge still creeps up to get you. Even if you turned off the main tap you still have to pay. I know electric is still expensive but at least they do not charge you for it lying in wait in the cable, just incase you decide to boil the kettle.  ✌

The way to avoid the standing charge is to have it disconnected. If the service is available you pay a standing charge. I am not aware of any utility anywhere in the world where it's any different are you? 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It's got to the stage where frankly, I would rather sit in the dark and shiver than give another penny to MG/Ancala and our own in-house, self-serving wasters to squander on power station, ferry terminal, Promenade and whatever else corruption and incompetence.

Bell, Proffitt, the MEA Board, Longworth, Black, Robinson, Baker, Gawne, Harmer, the lot of them, including the dicks from the OFT who came up with the previous Gas Regulatory Agreement. If there's a shortfall anywhere, take it out of their pension entitlements and benefits.

If anybody thinks that the first ethos of Manx public service is to serve the public, they've got it sadly wrong.

I was told the other day that at the moment both gas and electricity here is currently cheaper than in the UK.

I haven't been able to validate it but the friend who told me is not normally wrong.

PS. He not a lawyer 

Stop Press. He is talking bullshit. In Yorkshire you can get £7.50 per KWh According to MG website it's £15 per kwh

Edited by Happier diner
Bull

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I was told the other day that at the moment both gas and electricity here is currently cheaper than in the UK.

I haven't been able to validate it but the friend who told me is not normally wrong.

PS. He not a lawyer

BS

Try this site for the UK (may have gone up a tad) and Manx Gas (before latest 43% hike). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

PS. He not a lawyer

Tell Alex Allinson. I'm sure he'll be more than willing to incorporate that into his next good news release. Remind him to tell us why we're paying our "Toilet Tax" Sewage Charge too.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

See my latest edit. Yes bullshit. 

Factor in the 43% and as was mentioned on Facebook Manx Gas is ~3 x the price of UK Gas.

I would expect that electricity will rise to ~28 to 32p / kWh as that's the lowest variable rate in the UK.

I'm interested because a couple of friends on the rock are going to struggle badly.

50 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The way to avoid the standing charge is to have it disconnected. If the service is available you pay a standing charge. I am not aware of any utility anywhere in the world where it's any different are you? 

Tell me again how much the electricity standing charge is, must of missed it on my last bill. 🤔