Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

1 hour ago, Ramseyboi said:

I am no government fan but you are really grasping at straws if you are trying to use that as a way to have a go at them.

Not at all, but with the recent revelation that liability has risen by a further £1BN in a year, plus the "fund" (as it is) due to exhaust in coming months leaving the whole shebang to be funded out of General Revenue with an impact yet to be felt or outlined on Joe Average's tax burden, the question may still arise, why cannot this be addressed?

Ireland were obliged to implement "change" as part of the EU bailout so there is precedent of sorts.

28 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

They don't need subsidisation to choose gas

Gas Boiler >£1k

Oil Boiler £4k

Heat pump boiler £6k+ increased insulation

They aint going to volunteer, they need incentive or regulations. Meanwhile houses are still being thrown up with poor insulation and gas boilers which is unbelievable

My daughter asked for an oil boiler to be fitted and was willing to pay whatever it cost to do so, the answer was no ! Then we found out how cheap they were getting gas boilers !!

15 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Illegal?. I don’t recall anyone being prosecuted for any illegality. Nobody profited personally.

The loan is being repaid. We have a power station producing electricity. Would you rather the Island in darkness?

The loans were sanctioned by Tynwald. A quick Google search will show you this.

You are Mike Proffitt and I claim my £5

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, asitis said:

My daughter asked for an oil boiler to be fitted and was willing to pay whatever it cost to do so, the answer was no ! Then we found out how cheap they were getting gas boilers !!

Ha Ha. I can believe it. On top of that Gas boilers are much smaller and can be wall mounted in a little cupboard. They don't need a storage tank either. I bet they get their gas boilers for less than £600.

16 minutes ago, Peter Layman said:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

What are you on about?  I disagree with nearly everything they do but am sensible enough to realise that in this instance there is only one thing they can do.  It’s not like they are flying against what other nations are doing and plunging us into fuel poverty just because they feel like it.

43 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

What are you on about?  I disagree with nearly everything they do but am sensible enough to realise that in this instance there is only one thing they can do.  It’s not like they are flying against what other nations are doing and plunging us into fuel poverty just because they feel like it.

27.5% is massively disproportionate to what other countries are doing.  So while it may not be "flying against what other nations are doing" it's certainly not in line with what they are doing and that is where the problem lies. 

UK consumers are seeing prices rising by around 12% - that would be a middle ground to what's being requested at present. 

The better option would be to collapse Manx Gas and nationalise it. Not just because of the price rise, but also because of the transition to a low carbon economy and removing the profiteering from the current arrangement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, cissolt said:

It would be interesting to see how many MHKs have gas and are directly affected and how they vote!

Yeah, because I am sure that those who feel like saving a few quid  would rather watch Manx Gas go bust and deal with the long term implications of that 🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Ha Ha. I can believe it. On top of that Gas boilers are much smaller and can be wall mounted in a little cupboard. They don't need a storage tank either. I bet they get their gas boilers for less than £600.

If what I was told is true, and to get every build with a gas boiler is a good incentive  .. much less !!!!

27 minutes ago, cissolt said:

It would be interesting to see how many MHKs have gas and are directly affected and how they vote!

Possibly, but it's largely irrelevant to them. Sat there on their £67,557 salary they are largely insulated (no pun intended) from the adverse effect of a 27.5% increase in gas prices, they'll hardly notice, maybe just stick another £100 on their direct debit . 

We also need to be mindful of any future calls for lockdowns (hopefully that now seems unlikely) and the horrendous effect that would have with people having to heat their homes during work hours. 

Edited by James Blonde
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Yeah, because I am sure that those who feel like saving a few quid  would rather watch Manx Gas go bust and deal with the long term implications of that 🙄

Those who have the foresight and can see the bigger picture.... would rather watch Manx Gas go bust and deal with the long term implications of that. 

Fixed it for you. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

Those who have the foresight and can see the bigger picture.... would rather watch Manx Gas go bust and deal with the long term implications of that. 

Fixed it for you. 

Yeah. Not like there would be a massive waste of money sorting out all the administration of bankruptcy, paying the staff, keeping the service going or anything like that.

Nationalisation in a negotiated way, yes, allowing it to go bust would only be suggested by someone with no knowledge of such things

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Peter Layman said:

You are Mike Proffitt and I claim my £5

I once sat next to him at a dinner party.  I don't think I've had to try and restrain myself from slamming someone's head into the table so much in all my life.  Especially when he then started spouting about how corrupt a certain ex-tynwald member was (who I don't believe was). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1