Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

At least they confirm now that they don’t owe the MUA any money

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-gas-fully-up-to-date-with-own-bills-to-manx-utilities/

This highlights the stupidity of the whole arrangement. Why do we even need MG as intermediary. We sell them gas that they sell to us. The gas network they use is ours leased to them. They should have just let these fuckers go bust back at the start of the year. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Gas Bill arrived today.  Same time last year, charge for hot water and cooker was £28 + £10 standing charge - £38 total.  This year - £68 total.  Nearly 100% increase and that's with me trying not to use so much hot water. Balls to this.

Get a small immersion heater?

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

Gas Bill arrived today.  Same time last year, charge for hot water and cooker was £28 + £10 standing charge - £38 total.  This year - £68 total.  Nearly 100% increase and that's with me trying not to use so much hot water. Balls to this.

Very similar here a couple of weeks back. Winter is not going to be amusing. Might be cheaper to go live somewhere off-Island even, by the time everything is added up?

17 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Interestingly, only two direct payments were recorded on the bill. They missed off June and July's payment.  I spent £10 of credit trying to talk to the billing department before giving up.  I'll drop them an email instead. 

Does anyone else have experience of missed payments from the bills?

@John Wright said summat similar a few posts back

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Na.  Been there done that.  These days I get traumatised just going to Doolish. Just had two tons of wood delivered this morning to add to my already foraged stores.  The old toilet makes a good wood store.  It's now nearly full and has cost me £100. Up yours Manx Gas. x

Your wood supplier?? 

2 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Interestingly, only two direct payments were recorded on the bill. They missed off June and July's payment.  I spent £10 of credit trying to talk to the billing department before giving up.  I'll drop them an email instead. 

Judging by the time it took you to (fail to) get through to the billing department, loads of people.  When I've had billing problems in the past (usually because the reminder letter before the bill) it's usually been fairly simple to get through and the staff have been helpful.

Looking at my bill they've clearly got (yet another) new accounts system with all the usual teething and transition problems.  So they may have lost loads of payments at least temporarily and it will take ages to get things sorted (this is why I avoid direct debit).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

Yep. Both payments for June and July were missing from the bill that arrived this week, but both definitely left my bank account.

Weirdly, although neither appears on the bill, the value of one of them - presumably the June one - HAS been credited. The July one is completely AWOL though, despite being taken three weeks before the date on the bill.

Shoddy bunch of chancers - I blame that Jo Cox personally!

On 8/6/2022 at 12:09 PM, cissolt said:

MG make 5% profit regardless of price.  This is based on EBITDA, which is easily manipulated.  

Gas prices have been volatile, but one thing's for sure Manx gas are making at least 5% profit guaranteed by government 

And Ancala's Management Fee levied against MG will be paid to USA regardless. 

29 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I would have thought, given the sentiment toward them at this time that the least they could do is ensure their systems are running well for their customers (and for themselves!). to give an accurate financial statement 

Not to mention, having failed to get over that rather low bar, and armed with the knowledge that they had once again screwed up, you'd think that the indolent rabble would actually have made sure their phone lines were adequately staffed to deal with the flood of enquiries from poor old pensioners, worried that their money had been stolen. (Not you obviously, Roxanne - thought I'd better clarify that out of a belated sense of self-preservation.)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bazza Smurf said:

How the current numbers come about. From CURA

Gas Tariffs.docx 214.54 kB · 3 downloads

Thanks Barry, I appreciate all your efforts.

What I find interesting is that Rob stated that the Mua are buying gas at 450p per therm!  Looking at the data on that form and also the future market, it seems like they Mua have had their pants pulled down with that price.

Will we ever have transparency on what the Mua buy it for and what the price is to Manx gas? Rob messaged the Mannin line stating they sell it at cost.

• Like 1