Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

52 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Will we ever have transparency on what the Mua buy it for and what the price is to Manx gas? Rob messaged the Mannin line stating they sell it at cost.

We won’t. Callister said on Manx Radio the other day that the MUA don’t sell it on to Manx Gas at a profit but that can’t possibly be true. If they have bought a load of gas forward priced and got delivery of it. Its highly likely that they then sell that gas to Manx Gas at the spot rate on the day Manx Gas takes delivery from the MUA and use it. So in all likelihood they have the potential to make a massive profit by selling gas they bought forward priced cheap to Manx Gas at the current market price on the day that it’s delivered to Manx Gas. Wouldn’t the no profit only apply if they bought gas at the spot price that day and sold it to Manx Gas at the same spot price same day for no mark up or margin. But as we know the MUA has been buying gas forward in big tranches in the last two years. But it says that Manx Gas only pays for it on the day it uses it. Presumably at the prevailing spot market price that day? That leaves scope for huge arbitrage in pricing.

Edited by Bandits

5 minutes ago, Bandits said:

We won’t. Callister said on Manx Radio the other day that the MUA don’t sell it on to Manx Gas at a profit but that can’t possibly be true. If they have bought a load of gas forward priced and got delivery of it. It highly likely that they then sell that gas to Manx Gas at the spot rate on the day Manx Gas take delivery from the MUA and use it. So in all likelihood they make a massive profit by selling gas they bought forward priced cheap to Manx Gas at the current market price on the day that it’s delivered to Manx Gas. Wouldn’t the no profit only apply if they bought gas at the spot price that day and sold it to Manx Gas at the same spot price same day for no mark up or margin. But as we know the MUA has been buying gas forward in big tranches in the last two years. But it says that Manx Gas only pays for it on the day it uses it. Presumably at the prevailing spot market price that day? That leaves scope for huge arbitrage in pricing.

Why don't you just leave subjects you know F*&k all about to those who do? 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

However, unlike you I do understand the principle of hedging. 

I’m not sure you do to be honest because if you did you’d understand where the potential for arbitrage came in when selling on goods you’d originally hedged the price of at current spot prices. Like most subjects on here you just seem to kick off when people don’t agree with you. 

Edited by Bandits

Just now, Bandits said:

I’m not sure you do to be honest because if you did you’d understand where the potential for arbitrage came in when selling on positions you’d hedged. Like most subjects on here you just seem to kick off when people don’t agree with you. 

I know that MUA only hedge a proportion of their forward purchases. That's what companies do. 

To be honest I have no idea if they make money out of selling it to MG. However being a government owned statutory board I very much doubt they could get away with making a vast profit out of ripping Manx Gas off. Their accounts are in the public domain. 

What makes you believe that they are making a profit? If they did, that would be first wouldn't it?

Just now, Gladys said:

Don't MG hedge through MUA? Wasn't that the root of a spat earlier this year when MG said they weren't allowed to buy forward or something and MUA said that was because they hadn't paid their bill? 

That was how I understood it. Although it gives me a headache trying to understand it all. I reckon I trust MUA more than I trust MG. 

13 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Don't MG hedge through MUA? Wasn't that the root of a spat earlier this year when MG said they weren't allowed to buy forward or something and MUA said that was because they hadn't paid their bill? 

I sort of get the above. So if so why would you allow Manx Gas to hedge forward (they apparently don’t allow them to now due to credit risk) when you can sell them your own hedged forward gas? For instance say I bought 10,000 therms at a forward price of 10p in March for delivery in October. Then when I received it in October say Manx Gas wanted 1,000 therms from the MUA to cover their usage that week and the current price was 20p a therm. Surely the MUA would sell/deliver gas it has to them at 20p a therm? They say no profit but really I’d suspect they possibly mean no mark up on the prevailing current price the applies in the market on the day it’s delivered to MG?

Edited by Wavey Davey
Typo
  • Like 1