Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

"Reach out to me"....."The right fit"....all the marketing buzzwords and hype. MG have clearly felt the need to go into PR overdrive.

But it won't fix the fact that the GMP have it etched into their collective memory that MG took the piss out of the previous regulatory agreement to the tune of millions of pounds of consumers money and as such will be distrusted for evermore.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

"transform our business"... into what? They are monopoly suppliers of gas here and in the Channel Islands.

Digital Marketing - getting the Senior Management Team to do TikTok videos, along with the police.

There are still many on oil . So that's probably the  victims ( oops meant future customers 😉) that they want to get. 

Mate of mine ended up moving from oil to gas just over a year ago 

He reckons that he will end up paying  around 3 times what he was paying  when he was on oil.. 😞

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mad_manx said:

There are still many on oil . So that's probably the  victims ( oops meant future customers 😉) that they want to get. 

Mate of mine ended up moving from oil to gas just over a year ago 

He reckons that he will end up paying  around 3 times what he was paying  when he was on oil.. 😞

More fool him then I went the other way 20+years ago!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, finlo said:

More fool him then I went the other way 20+years ago!

I went the other way 5 years ago when some idiot at MG thought I was going to pay £500.00 a year for the privilege of buying their overpriced product. The conversion has paid for itself since.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2022 at 10:09 PM, Two-lane said:

"transform our business"... into what? They are monopoly suppliers of gas here and in the Channel Islands.

Digital Marketing - getting the Senior Management Team to do TikTok videos, along with the police.

Pay back their share of the rebate would help them more than they might think. 

• Like 1

Everyone would love cheaper gas supplies. Manx gas wrote to all customers 2 or 3 years ago offering to all what seemed a reasonable package. Including a £93 rebate on their 2020 bills a cut of13.7 %. They offered a  best possible deal over 5 years. Not enough for some who started petitions and delayed things as much  as possible ending up with a worse deal than was offered. 

One of the conditions of this letter was that if the deal wasn't accepted the rebate offer would be withdrawn. 

We are all left with a worse option. Not because of the Gas board but because of a few people wanting their 15 minutes of glory. 

I have no reason to support their view other than in my dealings with them they have always been decent and professional. Gas is more expensive here than some places but always has been. So was oil and many imported items. There is a real world problem with energy supplies. 

We are not immune from these. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, emesde said:

Everyone would love cheaper gas supplies. Manx gas wrote to all customers 2 or 3 years ago offering to all what seemed a reasonable package. Including a £93 rebate on their 2020 bills a cut of13.7 %. They offered a  best possible deal over 5 years. Not enough for some who started petitions and delayed things as much  as possible ending up with a worse deal than was offered. 

One of the conditions of this letter was that if the deal wasn't accepted the rebate offer would be withdrawn. 

We are all left with a worse option. Not because of the Gas board but because of a few people wanting their 15 minutes of glory. 

I have no reason to support their view other than in my dealings with them they have always been decent and professional. Gas is more expensive here than some places but always has been. So was oil and many imported items. There is a real world problem with energy supplies. 

The reason we get shafted is because of the fixed amount of profit they're allowed to make (and therefore do make) per year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Read this in todays telegraph.

Europe gas shortages to last several winters, Shell boss warns

Europe’s energy crisis will last for several winters, the boss of Shell has said, as he warned it is "fantasy" to think shortages caused by Russia cutting supplies can be resolved quickly.

Ben van Beurden told a conference in Norway that power rationing will be needed for a number of years as electricity prices hit fresh record highs.

He said: “I do not think this crisis is going to be limited to just one winter.

“It may well be that we have a number of winters where we have to somehow find solutions through efficiency savings, through rationing, and through a very quick build out of alternatives that you may have [such as] alternative gas imports [and] hopefully alternative energy sources.”

His warning came as Elon Musk, the founder of electric car maker Tesla, said the world needed to continue extracting oil and gas while it builds out renewable energy.

He told the same conference that the transition to sustainable energy was “one of the biggest challenges the world has ever faced”.

He said: "Realistically I think we need to use oil and gas in the short term, because otherwise civilization will crumble."

Big, big reset being forced upon the West (and further) here.

Western industrialised economies got developed and rich on the back of cheap energy which allowed them to overcome the obstacles created by their climates.

The first chink in the armour was in the seventies when the Arabs twigged and wanted their share of the spoils. This could well be uncharted territory here for many economies.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 2:28 PM, emesde said:

I was the one that started the petition. The petition was simply to get MG to pay back their share of the rebate. The profits made in 2020 would have been eyewatering,when the OFT took their eyes of the ball and wholesale gas was as low as 13p per therm. 

The saga with MG was long and arduous. Soon there will likely to be a report on who was right and who was wrong. I still feel I will be in the right camp and I still remain to some extent hopeful that MG will pay back their share of the rebate. 

ROCE was 9.99. WACC is now 5.4%. Shame about the wholesale prices. Otherwise we would all have been quids inn. 

Edited by Bazza Smurf
  • Thanks 1

I really do think there will be some cold / poverty related deaths on the Island this winter.  Really hope i am wrong.

I know families who are saying they won't be able to afford heating this winter and are instead buying blankets etc, so i can only imagine how hard it must be for a pensioner on their own

Awful times, in a first world country. 

• Like 1