House price inflation by £1000 per week ?

Shake me up Judy

3 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

I’m no boomer but honestly you’re a pathetic whining broken record. Why don’t you get off your moaning ass and make a success of your life as previous generations have instead of being a sad bitter twat blaming everyone else for why you’ve not got on in life? 

The boomer thing is history and now is neither here nor there (also not a boomer myself). 

Blaming boomers won't get us out of the particularly shitty creek we now find ourselves in as an island. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 0bserver said:

Blaming boomers won't get us out of the particularly shitty creek we now find ourselves in as an island. 

I agree there’s a proper down pour of shit recession coming. It’s going to be a real wake up call for those who think their mum and dad have shafted them by creating wealth. Nobody has experience any real widespread hardship for about 35 years. 

1 hour ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

A strange comment from someone who championed the removal of caps on City bonuses, loves everything about the Channel Islands (the housing price structure in Jersey is fucked) hates Teachers but loves curtains- if you had 3 houses you could twitch as much as you want…..

You really are a sad loser , obviously a government shill 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Banker said:

You really are a sad loser , obviously a government shill 

Struggling to uncurl my toes ARRRRFFFFF - it’s half term soon B your neighbour’s will have another week off.

Genuine question given your username and support for huge city pay rewards -how can you see the underpaid teachers that you previously posted are your neighbours from your house - binoculars or green eyes ?

Edited by Mr Helmut Fromage
  • Haha 2

My neighbour has an extra £500 to find for his mortgage this month ,  and its just about cleaned him out not much left to live on  , I heard of someone else who took their lump sum and early retirement and bought  a new property as a buy to let as he was earning nothing on his money  , I understand the mortgage increase for him has meant  he is now loosing money on the rental as the tenant has another 10 months of his rental period to run , so hard times for those unlucky enough to caught in the UK governments  mini budget cock up that has shaken the money market, 

I guess its a taste of things to come , but I doubt if there will be much help from Isle of man government !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newsdesk said:

I agree there’s a proper down pour of shit recession coming. It’s going to be a real wake up call for those who think their mum and dad have shafted them by creating wealth. Nobody has experience any real widespread hardship for about 35 years. 

I agree about the recession but not about hardship.

I know some on the island who really suffered in the wake of the financial crash and Fast Eddie Teare's ham-fisted austerity drive. 

6 hours ago, 0bserver said:

I agree about the recession but not about hardship.

I know some on the island who really suffered in the wake of the financial crash and Fast Eddie Teare's ham-fisted austerity drive. 

The OP used the phrase widespread hardship though. If you go back to the 80s here everything was broken. Houses with the windows hanging out, hadn’t been painted for 20 years. No ventral heating. Most people drove a shit car that was hanging together. Nobody had any spare money to spend on anything which was why everything was rotten and hanging. The winter work scheme to tide people over after the tourist jobs ended in September. Very different from the isolated hardships some people have experienced today. We could well be going back to the former for a while which most people won’t have experienced for 40 odd years. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

The OP used the phrase widespread hardship though. If you go back to the 80s here everything was broken. Houses with the windows hanging out, hadn’t been painted for 20 years. No ventral heating. Most people drove a shit car that was hanging together. Nobody had any spare money to spend on anything which was why everything was rotten and hanging. The winter work scheme to tide people over after the tourist jobs ended in September. Very different from the isolated hardships some people have experienced today. We could well be going back to the former for a while which most people won’t have experienced for 40 odd years. 

That's a fair point.

9 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Struggling to uncurl my toes ARRRRFFFFF - it’s half term soon B your neighbour’s will have another week off.

Genuine question given your username and support for huge city pay rewards -how can you see the underpaid teachers that you previously posted are your neighbours from your house - binoculars or green eyes ?

They’re not underpaid for the hours they do!!

Im in support of higher taxes for those who can afford it including me but it’s people like you who want everything but don’t want to pay

Edited by Banker

12 hours ago, Newsdesk said:

You really are a twisted individual with your boomer hatred. How can you be that jealous and twisted about people who have simply managed to create wealth by working hard. 

There isn't any hatred in my post, merely pragmatism. The needs of those who don't yet have houses outweigh those who could sell their second houses and still be fine.

Currently re-negotiating my mortgage now.  It comes off 5 year fixed in March. 

About 6 months ago I looked at doing it and they wanted to charge me £5k.  At the time I didn't bother as I didn't think interest rates would go up so quickly.  Possibly would have been worth it (I've not worked it out, it's one of those things I'd rather not know).

In relation to the house price inflation, the value the bank calculated my place to have increased by in the last 4 1/2 years is about 25%. 

1 minute ago, The Phantom said:

Currently re-negotiating my mortgage now.  It comes off 5 year fixed in March. 

About 6 months ago I looked at doing it and they wanted to charge me £5k.  At the time I didn't bother as I didn't think interest rates would go up so quickly.  Possibly would have been worth it (I've not worked it out, it's one of those things I'd rather not know).

In relation to the house price inflation, the value the bank calculated my place to have increased by in the last 4 1/2 years is about 25%. 

There's a lot of people who are going to have their mortgages expire in the next couple of years who are going to be forced to sell due to 8%+ rates. Hold onto yer butts.

5 minutes ago, HeliX said:

There's a lot of people who are going to have their mortgages expire in the next couple of years who are going to be forced to sell due to 8%+ rates. Hold onto yer butts.

I've been talking to quite a few investment/banking manager type contacts through work and hitting them up for their thoughts. 

Typically, they are all different.  Some saying fix for 2 years now or float for 2 years then fix. 

All do seem to expect interest rates to keep going up until at least around this time next year however.  

19 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I've been talking to quite a few investment/banking manager type contacts through work and hitting them up for their thoughts. 

Typically, they are all different.  Some saying fix for 2 years now or float for 2 years then fix. 

All do seem to expect interest rates to keep going up until at least around this time next year however.  

I fixed for 5 at an OK-ish rate. Not as OK as if I'd done it a year ago, obviously. But my thoughts were that I can afford that rate, I likely would struggle to afford double that rate (which is what it is now...), and much more than that would probably force a sale. So safest option felt like 5 year fixed.