House price inflation by £1000 per week ?

Shake me up Judy

44 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I think you missed my point. I merely said he was exaggerating. 

I’m not sure it is though. Quarterbridge has been horrible for at least 15 years. There is no need for it to be that bad and the new estates will make it even worse. The monkeys at the DOI need to sort it out. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m not sure it is though. Quarterbridge has been horrible for at least 15 years. There is no need for it to be that bad and the new estates will make it even worse. The monkeys at the DOI need to sort it out. 

Anyone for roundels?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, BriT said:

Again anyone would be totally mental to pay that price for that? 

It does seem a bit ambitiously priced, but then again it is 4 double bedrooms, 2 en-suites etc and requiring no work.  If someone can show me something similar for much cheaper...  The only real downside is that it's crammed in close to the other houses and overlooked garden. 

According the bank for a recent remortgage of my place, it's gone up by about 20% in 4 years! 

13 hours ago, Asthehills said:

But again.  It will sell, as have all the others on the same estate at the same price.

Likely.  Give it a couple of weeks and then look again.  If it's sold, it will be likely it has sold at asking or very near to. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BriT said:

Again anyone would be totally mental to pay that price for that? 

House next to me  in Douglas  ( quite similar) was sold for almost the same price around 4 months ago. Sale happened on the day of listing  The buyer didn't even come for a viewing..Many of the sales seem to be from overseas buyers ( quite a few are from South Africa) who plan to move here.. 

I suppose the market may start cooling down now due to higher  mortgage rates .  But many are cash buyers..

That house in peel at £620 k   will  end up costing around £3.3 k a month in mortgage rates !!  (80% LTV on a 2 year fixed rate for 25 years  ) 

Add on rates and utilities and that will be around £4k a month just for the house. 

Edited by mad_manx
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

House next to me  in Douglas  ( quite similar) was sold for almost the same price around 4 months ago. Sale happened on the day of listing  The buyer didn't even come for a viewing. 

I have to say I don’t believe a lot of those “buyer didn’t even see it” stories. I think a lot of it is estate agency folk lore. But either way it would be easy to subsequently rock up from SA and realised that you massively overpaid on a house you never even saw. 

House 2 doors down from us sold 12 months ago for £615k. It’s back on market for £650k. Similar to ours, double garage instead of single, 3 doubles, 3 bath rooms, plus single box room.

we bought for £375k 18 years ago. We’ve extended and now have 4 double bedrooms, all en-suite. 2 rooms have small dressing areas, and one has a mezzanine sitting area. The en-suites are big, each with Bath and shower.

We've got a full shower in the downstairs cloaks so that the study can be used as a downstairs/5th bedroom.

A couple years ago Id have said the ceiling for a house like that on an estate was £595k. We’ve just had a valuation north of £700k

6 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Your house sound much nicer than the Peel one John

But it’s the same basic plan. The garden is landscaped and planted with mature plants, including fruit cordons, a greenhouse and raised veggie beds. We’ve got a stream, with bridge over,  and a summerhouse I use as my office.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, John Wright said:

But it’s the same basic plan. The garden is landscaped and planted with mature plants, including fruit cordons, a greenhouse and raised veggie beds. We’ve got a stream, with bridge over,  and a summerhouse I use as my office.

Your house makes more sense at £700k than the one at peel for £620k

Also as far as I know you live in a close  which adds value as well . 

13 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Your house makes more sense at £700k than the one at peel for £620k

Also as far as I know you live in a close  which adds value as well . 

I’m not disagreeing. But that type of Dandara/Haven 4 bed detached, on an estate, ( whether it’s a cul de sac or not ) always has a ceiling, however much work you do to improve/extend.

Im just amazed how high the ceiling has gone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’m not disagreeing. But that type of Dandara/Haven 4 bed detached, on an estate, ( whether it’s a cul de sac or not ) always has a ceiling, however much work you do to improve/extend.

Im just amazed how high the ceiling has gone.

Build costs per square feet  are almost double what it was maybe 4 years ago as per someone in the trade. I suppose its a combination of  material costs / labour. 

This could be an additional factor along with increased demand ..

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

Houses are expensive.  That’s life, and we are still cheaper than huge areas of the UK

We really are not. I know of two businesses here where people have looked at relocating when offered jobs and when they’ve looked at property prices here said absolutely no way because prices are a lot higher than even many nice areas of the northwest. Friend of mine has not long bought a house on a nice private estate in a village in the Kirby Lonsdale area for a good £200K less than that house in Peel. And you’re not looking into your neighbours bathroom window from your garden either. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We bought our place off our landlord a year ago and I'm sure the place is already worth more than we paid.

I still get some of the property alerts. What's interesting is how many houses are coming back on the market with a lower asking price. They're removed and re-listed so it's not immediately obvious whether a sale fell through or whether nobody was biting at the higher price, but I've seen a few of the more optimistically priced houses around Douglas reappear with £30k lopped off. Of course the agent will always brag it went for "asking price", regardless of where that asking price was moved to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

We really are not. I know of two businesses here where people have looked at relocating when offered jobs and when they’ve looked at property prices here said absolutely no way because prices are a lot higher than even many nice areas of the northwest. Friend of mine has not long bought a house on a nice private estate in a village in the Kirby Lonsdale area for a good £200K less than that house in Peel. And you’re not looking into your neighbours bathroom window from your garden either. 

I said huge areas of the Uk.  That is factually correct.

Parts of the Nortwest, Northeast, Midlands etc may well be less expensive.  It’s as simple as supply and demand 

• Haha 1