House price inflation by £1000 per week ?

Shake me up Judy

....and what is the solution? An Agency, independent of Govt, handling all sales and rentals? Price controls, rent controls a list of allocations matching renters and buyers with available properties, you have £xs, they find an appropriate property for you???

Who would complain about that??? Well, you and I actually because we want our properties in inflate exponentially!!!

In our day people still got a decent return on their savings but when the bubble burst and there was very little interest going people looked where to put their money to make a bit or even stop it devaluing so they put their savings down on a property as a deposit got a mortgage and they were suddenly amateur landlords it sounded so easy I am sure quite a few have found it not to be.     They are now increasing the rent every time they get a new tenant as the mortgage has to be paid and the house needs new bits and pieces, tenants leave owing money, cause damage etc not the majority but it only takes one bad tenant to spoil the plan. I have heard Dandara are ok landlords and their rentals are more reasonable than most of the private lets  I stand to be corrected on this.   The whole housing situation is a mess.    If mortgage rates go up as they well might and bank borrowing rates go up there are going to be a lot of people in trouble and there could be a lot of property flooding the market.

• Like 1

Rob Callister on his FB page has aimed his ire at Chris Thomas. He put a copy of IOMG Facebook press release, with a barbed comment aimed at Chris Thomas. Most of the comments people are leaving aren’t complimentary to IOMG, and generally the mood is IOMG made a mess of things, have burned their bridges with the private rented sector and the damage is now done.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Kopek said:

....and what is the solution? An Agency, independent of Govt, handling all sales and rentals?

That’s what exists now. They’re called estate agents. Are they suggesting that key workers are basically too lazy to interface with agents and Facebook Groups to find rental property and now you should fill a form in and tell government directly what anyone can find on a Google search in 15 seconds? It’s a sellers market. The problem is lack of available rental housing. People aren’t hiding it. If they have a property for let it will be advertised in a really obvious place to encourage people to make an inquiry. 

• Like 1

There certainly is a lot of negativity with young people, there always has been, it's just that in thee 60's house prices were in the thousands, now they are in the hundreds of thousands, it makes it seem so much more unattainable? Is this more psychological?

Rents these days are as much or more than a mortgage ( buy to let???) There will come a time for young people when a purchase will be feasible rather than renting?

We went through it in the 60s, our parents rented, we wanted to buy, it created a market for property owners, we got through it, not cheaply but through necessity of our desires???

5 minutes ago, finlo said:

Fucking Dandara off would be a step in the right direction!

True. I see it as people do not buy a hose to live in , but as an investment expecting £100,000 more than they paid for it. Do not get me on the buy to flip market, driving up prices so people buying a house to do up to make a family home seem's a thing of the past. Only moving if the family outgrow the house or means to move to a more upmarket house in a better area.

15 minutes ago, HeliX said:

No, I don't want it to. And the answer is probably a mix of building more property and heavily taxing second homes.

Are you relying on taxation to curtail property prices rather than YOU refusing the estate agency price  estimated?

No! Chrystals, I don't want 300k, just 260k will do for me!!!!

7 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Who then would build the houses that we need? Some other development company!!!

There would be plenty to take up the slack.  Between them and certain estate agents they've manipulated/ruined the property market here.

21 minutes ago, HeliX said:

No, I don't want it to. And the answer is probably a mix of building more property and heavily taxing second homes.

Building a lot more social housing stock 10 or more years ago would have made a big difference. But they let the private market take up almost all the slack in the rentals market which is why we are where we are. Then on top they said they were bringing in legislation to register and clamp down on landlords so even more removed their properties from the pool. Most of the problem is lack of government planning and a belief that regulation fixes anything which it doesn’t. Second homes wouldn’t be so much of an issue if all the rental activity didn’t centre around private stock. Mortgages rates are going up to which will make the benefits marginal for some BTL investors leading to even more property being sold off and nothing this government has proposed to allegedly improve things will make a jot of difference. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1