Fc Isle of Man….who is paying for it?

Nomadic Raptor

On 8/5/2022 at 4:22 PM, jackwhite said:

Is there anyone else on island who'd be better? Genuine question as I don't know.

Stated it before but I don't see someone coming from off island as I don't think it's a paid position. Even if it is I don't imagine it's much. 

I think Bass is doing fine atm. Perhaps in a couple of years time, they will need to employ a paid manager with experience in non league english football, and move forward from there. I was told that once they are into a higher division, they will not have to pay travel costs for teams coming to the IoM - that will be a huge financial boost that should allow the players to be paid part time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, winnie said:

I think Bass is doing fine atm. Perhaps in a couple of years time, they will need to employ a paid manager with experience in non league english football, and move forward from there. I was told that once they are into a higher division, they will not have to pay travel costs for teams coming to the IoM - that will be a huge financial boost that should allow the players to be paid part time.

That is true but they have to get there first, and something tells me it won’t a walk in the park prob take a long time to work up through the ages.

for me the biggest problem is that they have started with adults.  They are not developing the kids they are relying on volunteers at clubs to train players and coe who may or may not all have different opinions on how to play and what to do.  There needs to be a template 

• 2 weeks later...

Lost 5 - 1 today. Probably a bad day as they’ll probably be a mid table team in this division. But to go further they’ll have to pay players and sign non IOM based players. Is that in the business plan? I don’t know but I think the current plan had got them as far as they will get. Decent standard nonetheless.

28 minutes ago, Anyone said:

Lost 5 - 1 today. Probably a bad day as they’ll probably be a mid table team in this division. But to go further they’ll have to pay players and sign non IOM based players. Is that in the business plan? I don’t know but I think the current plan had got them as far as they will get. Decent standard nonetheless.

Stop being a crab...

They aren't going to pay players or sign UK based players at this level.  The club have looked at Athletic Bilbao as a model to follow.

15 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Stop being a crab...

They aren't going to pay players or sign UK based players at this level.  The club have looked at Athletic Bilbao as a model to follow.

Ah Bilbao in the Basque Country population 2 million plus. I’m not a crab , just a realist. The level they are at do pay players ( perhaps not a lot but they do pay the better ones ) so to go any further their model will fail unless they change their strategy. Not because it’s wrong just simply because the population will not produce 11 players to play at a higher level than they do now. And where did the crab bit come from , I said they’d survive in what is a decent standard league. But with the current squad and and strategy there is a ceiling and I suspect they have reached it now. But it’s by no means a shabby standard and they are by no means a shabby side. As I said today was probably a bad day , it happens in football , all their other games have been close. I guess that will be the story for the rest of the season and the team will learn to grind out results. 
All that was probably a waste of typing and I suspect you know fuck all about football. For example what letter do you need in your name to play for Athletico Bilbao. Anyway I prefer Real Sociadad as my Basque team. It’s in San Sebastián with a great beach , a funky vibe and some great restaurants. Super compact city. 

The way you talk you would think this is a team that has fallen on hard times...

This is a team that was promoted in their first season and won a cup.  

This season was never going to be another promotion and it will be about learning how to play at this level and improving the players in the squad and developing the next group to be better.

No that’s you lol. You need to get real , there is a ceiling on the current strategy and it’s been reached. Some players in the league they are in are getting paid. It’s a decent but limited strategy they have. They might perhaps get promotion from the league they are in ( unlikely ) but they then would need to pay players and broaden the net to get better players on board. Small population , island , limited upside I think. But of course you know better.

1 hour ago, Anyone said:

But of course you know better.

I suggest you go and speak to the people who founded the club.

According to an article in The Athletic,  which I believe I posted a link to earlier in this thread, the club was set up to improve the standard of Manx football and to give those players an opportunity to play in more competitive matches.

Are you suggesting that they will abandon this strategy after one and a bit seasons?

26 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I suggest you go and speak to the people who founded the club.

According to an article in The Athletic,  which I believe I posted a link to earlier in this thread, the club was set up to improve the standard of Manx football and to give those players an opportunity to play in more competitive matches.

Are you suggesting that they will abandon this strategy after one and a bit seasons?

Well if you listen and think about it that is not what I am saying. It has given Manx based football players the chance to play at a higher level. All good and well but if they want to move on from the league they are in ( and it’s a decent standard ) there is no way they will do that with unpaid Manx based players. That’s not Manx crab it’s just a fact of the nature of football. If you go and watch say National League South or National League South ( and I’ve watched a lot at that level ) I doubt a single player in the Manx squad could play at that level. Maybe Camarda and McVey but the others would be out of their depth at that level. And National League which is the tier below full pro is very , very useful. A very decent standard. Not a single squad FC member could play at that level.
So in answer to your question at the end yes the strategy will have to be abandoned if FCIOM want to progress from the league they are in. They will be fine where they are and will probably end up mid table. They might get the odd bounce up followed by coming right back down. With their current strategy there is zero shame in that. Just take your rose tinted specs off. Like I said , I think you know bugger all about football or have played it at any level. I have and know what it takes to play at even semi pro. 
As far as your comment that it’s intended to ‘improve the standard of Manx Football ‘ is concerned well how does that work? Take the 20 odd best players out of the Manx leagues improves Manx football does it? But it does give young players coming through something to aim at. However , any young player with talent will bypass FC as you can see with at least 3 players recently going to pro clubs. Because if a young player is really good FC is not the place for them. 

On 8/28/2022 at 7:20 PM, Anyone said:

Ah Bilbao in the Basque Country population 2 million plus. I’m not a crab , just a realist. The level they are at do pay players ( perhaps not a lot but they do pay the better ones ) so to go any further their model will fail unless they change their strategy. Not because it’s wrong just simply because the population will not produce 11 players to play at a higher level than they do now. And where did the crab bit come from , I said they’d survive in what is a decent standard league. But with the current squad and and strategy there is a ceiling and I suspect they have reached it now. But it’s by no means a shabby standard and they are by no means a shabby side. As I said today was probably a bad day , it happens in football , all their other games have been close. I guess that will be the story for the rest of the season and the team will learn to grind out results. 
All that was probably a waste of typing and I suspect you know fuck all about football. For example what letter do you need in your name to play for Athletico Bilbao. Anyway I prefer Real Sociadad as my Basque team. It’s in San Sebastián with a great beach , a funky vibe and some great restaurants. Super compact city. 

Agreed, its going to be hard to get much further than this league, but id be interested to see how they get on with a full squad, no Quirk, Murray, Simpson, Mealin, Doyle, Williams or Cannell. They were massive for the club at the end of last season take 7 main stays out of any squad its going to cause issues. Then add Shaun Kelly who is coming in this season. should be interesting, but yes i agree, i do think this is their lever unless they start bringing players in and paying them, which then defeats the object of why the team was created. 

14 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Nor their weekend was it? 

Tough weekend had this weekend, but 4 away days in a week isn't ideal for anyone, let alone for a team needing to travel like they do. I was at one of the games this weekend and they looked wiped out. 

My concern is, most of these lads don't know how to lose, another tough couple of weeks and interest starts to wain and numbers at training are low, they start going back to local clubs to get some wins again while FC IOM continue to lose, a bit negative after a tough weekend but not beyond the realms of possibility