Fc Isle of Man….who is paying for it?

Nomadic Raptor

It's going to be difficult for them this season.

Most of the teams they had played had finished at the lower end of that division last year.

If the teams around them won their game in hand they would slip quite far down the table but obviously they can't all win them. At worst I would think they'll end up around 13th to 15th. 

Maybe they'll adapt to playing against these teams but, I will say again, I think it will take a change in tactics rather than relying on a long ball all the time. It works against some teams and no reason they can't use it to their advantage against obviously smaller teams, but it shouldn't be the default setting.

It’s going to be a tough league to get out of. The champions go up and there is one play off slot where you have to play another team from a parallel league. 

The Congleton side they played had an ex- Wales international, as well as a couple more players with extensive football league experience.

Playing two in central midfield and outmuscling teams at set plays isn’t going to work in this division. 

On the plus side they should be able to get enough points to stay up. Back to back promotions is very tough to achieve.

On 8/30/2022 at 12:41 PM, Bill1977 said:

It’s going to be a tough league to get out of. The champions go up and there is one play off slot where you have to play another team from a parallel league. 

The Congleton side they played had an ex- Wales international, as well as a couple more players with extensive football league experience.

Playing two in central midfield and outmuscling teams at set plays isn’t going to work in this division. 

On the plus side they should be able to get enough points to stay up. Back to back promotions is very tough to achieve.

I reckon they’ll stay up as well , can’t see how far they can go though. National League North is packed with former League 1 and 2 pros and loanees from championship sides. Plus owners with deep pockets who are happy to fund star players. Guernsey FC are probably who to look at but with the same set up are I think nowhere near National League South. It’s a tough ask for them and they should be applauded for getting as far as they have. I don’t see any point in changing tactics as the manager can only set his teams up based on the players at hand. It’s all very well saying build from the back but you need the players with the technical ability to do that and the fact is those that do will be playing in a higher league anyway. Still , they’ve allowed IOM based players to compete at a higher level than locally on a seasonal basis so that can only be a good thing.

13 hours ago, Anyone said:

I reckon they’ll stay up as well , can’t see how far they can go though. National League North is packed with former League 1 and 2 pros and loanees from championship sides. Plus owners with deep pockets who are happy to fund star players. Guernsey FC are probably who to look at but with the same set up are I think nowhere near National League South. It’s a tough ask for them and they should be applauded for getting as far as they have. I don’t see any point in changing tactics as the manager can only set his teams up based on the players at hand. It’s all very well saying build from the back but you need the players with the technical ability to do that and the fact is those that do will be playing in a higher league anyway. Still , they’ve allowed IOM based players to compete at a higher level than locally on a seasonal basis so that can only be a good thing.

Many a manager has come in and changed a style regardless of the players. 

They have players capable of playing football, they just need to be taught the style. 

At high levels look at managers who have come in and completely transformed players.

9 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Many a manager has come in and changed a style regardless of the players. 

They have players capable of playing football, they just need to be taught the style. 

At high levels look at managers who have come in and completely transformed players.

Your last sentence is the thing though. ‘At high levels’. Not knocking them but amateur players are amateur for a reason. So I don’t think a change of manager ( or tactics ) would make much difference. The current management team know what they are about and are making the most of abilities of the squad they have. Look at what Man City have done to Bournmouth and now Forest recently ( and no doubt more to come ). It’s because they have superior players not a superior manager. As Alex Ferguson said once men win football matches not tactics , or words to that effect so I’ll be corrected on that if I misquoted him. Although he probably wouldn’t get away with saying that now in the aftermath of England Ladies great triumph at the Euros. But you get my drift hopefully.

Jersey joined the English pyramid just before us and are at the same level as us (step 9). They finished 4th last season, they needed to be 2nd to get a playoff, 1st would have guaranteed promotion.

Guernsey joined the English pyramid in the mid 2010s and are at step 8 and finished 14/19 last season. They seem to have a good relationship with Bristol City who signed two of their best young players - https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-gateway-for-guernsey-boys/. Guernsey got two promotions early, but I will suggest it’s harder now to move the pyramid due to the increased money in the game at that level.

I think FC IOM will be at the level they are at for a while if they keep to playing locals only (which personally I think is the right thing to do), but the real success might be the way it can increase interest in football on island, if any of the younger players can move up the pyramid and if they can a decent cup run in the FA Vase or the FA Cup when they enter that.

There is still a need for a closer relationship with a professional club like we did with Stockport County in the 90s so that the best young players can have a better chance of making it. The closest we seem to have at the moment is Wigan Athletic.

On 9/1/2022 at 9:50 PM, Anyone said:

Your last sentence is the thing though. ‘At high levels’. Not knocking them but amateur players are amateur for a reason. So I don’t think a change of manager ( or tactics ) would make much difference. The current management team know what they are about and are making the most of abilities of the squad they have. Look at what Man City have done to Bournmouth and now Forest recently ( and no doubt more to come ). It’s because they have superior players not a superior manager. As Alex Ferguson said once men win football matches not tactics , or words to that effect so I’ll be corrected on that if I misquoted him. Although he probably wouldn’t get away with saying that now in the aftermath of England Ladies great triumph at the Euros. But you get my drift hopefully.

I said at high levels only because it's easier to show that than say 'oh such and such did it in this league ' as not many people can relate.

I'm sorry but it's nonsense to say players can't adapt to a style just because they're amateur.

A change in tactics will absolutely make a difference. Having seen these players first hand, there are a few of them who are more than good enough to play a different way and even if some of them weren't, there will be others out there to suit different styles. If tactics don't make a difference, why would anyone bother with them?

There is an irony that that the topic of paying players has come up on a thread originally asking about who was paying for FC Isle of Man.

Realistically I think developing local talent and staying in this league wouldn't be a bad thing.

Back to back promotions or a quick rise through the leagues just isnt realistic. Abandoning the purpose of the team after one full season would also be a bad move.

I think some players in the league they are in do get paid. Don’t know how much. As far as a style/tactics is concerned the long/early ball is effective in non league. Even pro teams set up to not lose if they know they are facing technically superior players. So I don’t think there is anything wrong with the current tactics and changing them won’t improve results. In my experience ( it may have changed over the years since I played ) amateur players didn’t really give a toss what the manager said let alone attempt to follow the instructions. And we laughed at the Fergie style tirades employed by more than a few of them. And more than a few thought they knew better then than the manager!! Usually did as well but usually equally deluded😂

18 hours ago, Anyone said:

In my experience ( it may have changed over the years since I played ) amateur players didn’t really give a toss what the manager said let alone attempt to follow the instructions.

An amateur player who has enough skill and ability to become professional will take on board instructions from a decent manager/coach.

It is just very rare that those two things will happen.

Most players who are going to be professional will already be in football acadamies by the age of 9.

Related to the subject of attendances, the FC IOM prices are more inline with two or three divisions up. I still wonder how they made a loss last season. This season attendances are well down. 585 was the biggest in the league yesterday, but miles off the numbers of last season.  

On 9/3/2022 at 6:30 PM, Anyone said:

I think some players in the league they are in do get paid. Don’t know how much. As far as a style/tactics is concerned the long/early ball is effective in non league. Even pro teams set up to not lose if they know they are facing technically superior players. So I don’t think there is anything wrong with the current tactics and changing them won’t improve results. In my experience ( it may have changed over the years since I played ) amateur players didn’t really give a toss what the manager said let alone attempt to follow the instructions. And we laughed at the Fergie style tirades employed by more than a few of them. And more than a few thought they knew better then than the manager!! Usually did as well but usually equally deluded😂

You don't think changing tactics affects results? 

Have you ever played football? 

A long ball tactic might be effective in lower leagues but I think results will tell it has taken them as far as it can. It's also painful to watch, if you've ever been to a game of theirs.

I don't buy in that this squad aren't good enough to adopt to better tactics. As I've said before, they have a couple that are pretty decent on the ball or have real pace, so play to their strengths, rather than just height. 

• Like 1