Fc Isle of Man….who is paying for it?

Nomadic Raptor

8 hours ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

Statement from the board today in ticket prices

If you increase prices it doesn’t mean increased revenue if sales go down as a result! I’d rather have more attendees at a lower price as you can make more revenue from other things like programme sales, food etc Also it would be a better experience for the fans with more of them there and that support would help the players too. They need to attract a sizeable main sponsor quickly. In addition, as a general point the statement was a lot of waffle to be honest.

Edited by Bill1977

6 hours ago, jackwhite said:

You don't think changing tactics affects results? 

Have you ever played football? 

A long ball tactic might be effective in lower leagues but I think results will tell it has taken them as far as it can. It's also painful to watch, if you've ever been to a game of theirs.

I don't buy in that this squad aren't good enough to adopt to better tactics. As I've said before, they have a couple that are pretty decent on the ball or have real pace, so play to their strengths, rather than just height. 

Yes I have and at a higher level than where FC are. FC are in the lower leagues so I think you’ve answered your own question. I recall watching Japan play Spain at the 2012 Olympics. Spain played tic tac but the Japan team had two very robust and very large strikers and played long/early ball and those two strikers scared the two Spanish central defenders witless. Japan won 2-0 and it was good to watch. And why are they ‘better tactics’. Where FC play is a long way from from where that would work. And I’ve watched FC a lot , and local football so I know the players and the standard. Too many people think oh let’s play like Man City. Does not work like that and the squad despite what you may think are pretty much at the standard they are unlikely to surpass. Unless god intervenes. As far as height is concerned it’s been a long time since we’ve seen a smaller  prolific scorer. Gerd Muller maybe, Joe Harper. Most of the best strikers have been tall. At FC level long ball and get a cross into the box to a big striker is how you win games. After all central defenders tend to be tall and pretty strong. FC don’t have the players to play the game you would like so they are best sticking with what they are good at. 

I can’t see them ever repeating the attendances they had post COVID.

It was the only football we could easily attend and they had a succession of home matches to build momentum.  On top of that they were winning and a bit of a novelty.  They still failed to break even.

Never to be repeated and they will lose money at an alarming rate this season.  Sponsors will pull out doe to declining interest and the whole thing will cease to be by the season after next.

10 hours ago, Asthehills said:

I can’t see them ever repeating the attendances they had post COVID.

It was the only football we could easily attend and they had a succession of home matches to build momentum.  On top of that they were winning and a bit of a novelty.  They still failed to break even.

Never to be repeated and they will lose money at an alarming rate this season.  Sponsors will pull out doe to declining interest and the whole thing will cease to be by the season after next.

I hope you are wrong, but can see your line off thinking. It’s at this point you start to realise that the vast majority of football clubs in the professional and semi-professional teams are bankrolled by rich foreign owners or local businessmen with lots of spare cash. Unless we find either of those or a very big long term sponsor (can be linked to the above) then there might be problems (hopefully not).

Edited by Bill1977

On 9/7/2022 at 8:37 PM, Anyone said:

Yes I have and at a higher level than where FC are. FC are in the lower leagues so I think you’ve answered your own question. I recall watching Japan play Spain at the 2012 Olympics. Spain played tic tac but the Japan team had two very robust and very large strikers and played long/early ball and those two strikers scared the two Spanish central defenders witless. Japan won 2-0 and it was good to watch. And why are they ‘better tactics’. Where FC play is a long way from from where that would work. And I’ve watched FC a lot , and local football so I know the players and the standard. Too many people think oh let’s play like Man City. Does not work like that and the squad despite what you may think are pretty much at the standard they are unlikely to surpass. Unless god intervenes. As far as height is concerned it’s been a long time since we’ve seen a smaller  prolific scorer. Gerd Muller maybe, Joe Harper. Most of the best strikers have been tall. At FC level long ball and get a cross into the box to a big striker is how you win games. After all central defenders tend to be tall and pretty strong. FC don’t have the players to play the game you would like so they are best sticking with what they are good at. 

That may have been the case in 2012 but the football landscape is vastly different since then.

I'm not sure what game you watched but Japan won 1 nil in that game and played with one striker, he's 5 ft 9. The only other attacking player they brought on was a winger who's 5 ft 7. Even then Spain didn't obviously have a full squad given it was the Olympics. The Japanese eventually finished 4th in the tournament. So what you're saying here has little relevance.

Your fact on smaller strikers not being prolific is nonsense. Messi, Romario, Dalglish, Eusebio, Del Piero, Butragueno, Fowler, Owen, Keegan, Zola, Papin and Pele were all small. Even then Ian Rush, Alan Shearer, Rooney, Raul, Henrik Larsson, Paolo Rossi, Suarez, Hugo Sanchez, Papin, Stoichkov, Baggio, Klinsmann, Lineker, Voller, Eto'o, David Villa, Zamarono, Inzhagi and Andy Cole are all under 6ft. It's actually more likely the bigger guys are the exception to the rule.

Japan have moved on significantly since then, even if they were playing a long ball game. I've not watched it back but I'm convinced they were. However Celtic have 4 picked up 4 players from Japan, including a striker who's 5 ft 7 and prolific, and they're doing exceptionally well. Again their style, like everyone elses, has moved on significantly.

Liverpool have had a very slight change in style where their wide players are coming more narrow and they've changed one guy in their midfield who isn't used to defending wide and look at the havoc it's causing for them. Likewise Celtic have changed to playing their wingers wider this season, compared to last, and have scored 17 goals in 3 games.

Even slight changes in tactics can lead to big changes in result.

Was the reason you didn't go any higher perhaps because you don't understand tactics or listen to managers?

6 hours ago, jackwhite said:

That may have been the case in 2012 but the football landscape is vastly different since then.

I'm not sure what game you watched but Japan won 1 nil in that game and played with one striker, he's 5 ft 9. The only other attacking player they brought on was a winger who's 5 ft 7. Even then Spain didn't obviously have a full squad given it was the Olympics. The Japanese eventually finished 4th in the tournament. So what you're saying here has little relevance.

Your fact on smaller strikers not being prolific is nonsense. Messi, Romario, Dalglish, Eusebio, Del Piero, Butragueno, Fowler, Owen, Keegan, Zola, Papin and Pele were all small. Even then Ian Rush, Alan Shearer, Rooney, Raul, Henrik Larsson, Paolo Rossi, Suarez, Hugo Sanchez, Papin, Stoichkov, Baggio, Klinsmann, Lineker, Voller, Eto'o, David Villa, Zamarono, Inzhagi and Andy Cole are all under 6ft. It's actually more likely the bigger guys are the exception to the rule.

Japan have moved on significantly since then, even if they were playing a long ball game. I've not watched it back but I'm convinced they were. However Celtic have 4 picked up 4 players from Japan, including a striker who's 5 ft 7 and prolific, and they're doing exceptionally well. Again their style, like everyone elses, has moved on significantly.

Liverpool have had a very slight change in style where their wide players are coming more narrow and they've changed one guy in their midfield who isn't used to defending wide and look at the havoc it's causing for them. Likewise Celtic have changed to playing their wingers wider this season, compared to last, and have scored 17 goals in 3 games.

Even slight changes in tactics can lead to big changes in result.

Was the reason you didn't go any higher perhaps because you don't understand tactics or listen to managers?

You’re  right it was 1 nil but it could have been 5 they so outplayed Spain. I did not check so it felt like more. Look at the Spain squad too it was hardly shabby and Japan did not have all their top guys playing. I think the point you are missing is that elite football is not the same as amateur or non league. I did not go higher because I was not good enough but I was good enough to play semi pro. Found my level if you like as most footballers do. If you play non league you can’t play like Brazil circa 1970. So to go back to the point the reason FC play long ball is that at the level they are at it makes sense. Better players won’t bother playing with them and will go pro. The reason Celtic have scored 17 in 3 is that they have better players than all other Scottish teams. They got thumped in Europe because they played a team with even better ones. Should have tried long ball. I don’t think you’ve ever kicked a ball and know bugger all about football. Your just a barroom football bore. The long list of forwards prove it , bit random , different styles , roles etc.

3 hours ago, Anyone said:

You’re  right it was 1 nil but it could have been 5 they so outplayed Spain. I did not check so it felt like more. Look at the Spain squad too it was hardly shabby and Japan did not have all their top guys playing. I think the point you are missing is that elite football is not the same as amateur or non league. I did not go higher because I was not good enough but I was good enough to play semi pro. Found my level if you like as most footballers do. If you play non league you can’t play like Brazil circa 1970. So to go back to the point the reason FC play long ball is that at the level they are at it makes sense. Better players won’t bother playing with them and will go pro. The reason Celtic have scored 17 in 3 is that they have better players than all other Scottish teams. They got thumped in Europe because they played a team with even better ones. Should have tried long ball. I don’t think you’ve ever kicked a ball and know bugger all about football. Your just a barroom football bore. The long list of forwards prove it , bit random , different styles , roles etc.

So it's been proven you havent a clue what you're talking about (getting tactics and results totally wrong) but because Celtic lost to the current european champions what i say is somehow wrong! Aye ok it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about as your whole conversation has been picked apart.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Anyone said:

OK we'll take out the part that you don't know how to actually construct a readable post and just move onto your points.

I've actually gone back and looked into that Spain Japan game. Watched the highlights then scrolled through the full match to see if there is any evidence of what you say. None whatsoever. They didn't play a long ball. They did look to pass to a winger in the channels.

You said Japan started with 2 big strikers, they didn't. They started with 1 striker who was 5 ft 9.

What you also fail to mention about that game is that Spain had a central defender sent off after 40 minutes. At half time there had been three shots on goal in the entire game, 1 for Spain.

You then said there hadn't been any small prolific scorers since Gerd Muller. You've since been given no less than 30 examples!

I'm using top teams as an example as everyone can relate to that.

We're not saying the FCIOM have to play a Guardiola style but they can change their tactics to make their play less predictable and, frankly, less boring. Play passing football and don't skelp it long for two big guys all game. They're also still using an archaic 442 formation so not really helping themselves to be able to do anything else either.

You wouldn't know as you didn't watch it, but Celtic were actually the better team in the 1st half in that game. They don't just win because they've got better players (which they have) they do because they've got the best manager in the country. Not suprisingly he plays a modern attacking pressing game. It's the way he plays and he won't change it. 3 nil from Madrid is not a thumping. Brendan Rogers losing 5 nil and 7 1 to PSG is a thumping. He also played a modern attacking style but didn't press the way Celtic do currently.

If you, or anyone, needs the links for the highlights or full game, do let me know.

If tactics don't make a difference to lower leagues then they'd be as well just not having a management team at all.

When you try to consruct some form of narrative to support your point, pick something that's actually relative and don't just make up stuff to try and fit it.

Edited by jackwhite

15 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

OK we'll take out the part that you don't know how to actually construct a readable post and just move onto your points.

I've actually gone back and looked into that Spain Japan game. Watched the highlights then scrolled through the full match to see if there is any evidence of what you say. None whatsoever. They didn't play a long ball. They did look to pass to a winger in the channels.

You said Japan started with 2 big strikers, they didn't. They started with 1 striker who was 5 ft 9.

What you also fail to mention about that game is that Spain had a central defender sent off after 40 minutes. At half time there had been three shots on goal in the entire game, 1 for Spain.

You then said there hadn't been any small prolific scorers since Gerd Muller. You've since been given no less than 30 examples!

I'm using top teams as an example as everyone can relate to that.

We're not saying the FCIOM have to play a Guardiola style but they can change their tactics to make their play less predictable and, frankly, less boring. Play passing football and don't skelp it long for two big guys all game. They're also still using an archaic 442 formation so not really helping themselves to be able to do anything else either.

You wouldn't know as you didn't watch it, but Celtic were actually the better team in the 1st half in that game. They don't just win because they've got better players (which they have) they do because they've got the best manager in the country. Not suprisingly he plays a modern attacking pressing game. It's the way he plays and he won't change it. 3 nil from Madrid is not a thumping. Brendan Rogers losing 5 nil and 7 1 to PSG is a thumping. He also played a modern attacking style but didn't press the way Celtic do currently.

If you, or anyone, needs the links for the highlights or full game, do let me know.

If tactics don't make a difference to lower leagues then they'd be as well just not having a management team at all.

When you try to consruct some form of narrative to support your point, pick something that's actually relative and don't just make up stuff to try and fit it.

Tut tut. Gerd Muller? You forgot Joe Harper and Hughie Gallagher ( you’ll have to rush to wiki for that one )😂 I look forward to your appointment as the new FC manager with a determination to play free flowing , eye catching expansive football from the back and reaching the elite leagues. Good luck with that. You’ll need different players every time you achieve promotion with your genius tactics.

17 minutes ago, Anyone said:

Tut tut. Gerd Muller? You forgot Joe Harper and Hughie Gallagher ( you’ll have to rush to wiki for that one )😂 I look forward to your appointment as the new FC manager with a determination to play free flowing , eye catching expansive football from the back and reaching the elite leagues. Good luck with that. You’ll need different players every time you achieve promotion with your genius tactics.

So you're that guy that just makes stuff up on the internet and then just overlooks it completely when it's pointed out they're wrong?

Good to know.