Fc Isle of Man….who is paying for it?

Nomadic Raptor

On 9/30/2022 at 8:42 AM, winnie said:

As i said before, i think they need an English manager with experience of this league and / or the one above. It will cost money, but it's the only way to progress.

I'd like the government to help with costs - the ferry should be provided free of charge for home and away games, they could pay the hotel costs of the away teams and the stadium costs.

Don't forget there will be a few away fans coming over for the weekend - watch footie, have a meal, few drinks, hotel etc. All good for the economy.

Why should taxpayers subsidize FC Iom, what about all the other sports teams who have similar costs, Rubgy , golfers, athletics etc 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

It doesn’t take an expert to see their tactics are abysmal to watch and don’t work. 

Strange post immediately after a 5-1 hammering. 

So your not an expert , here’s me thinking you were an expert way you are  going on. The reason they are having a rough time is they are playing teams with better players. That’s how football works - if you have better players you in general win. The team will hopefully improve with experience of playing at these higher levels. Won’t happen overnight unless of course you intervene. 

7 hours ago, Anyone said:

So your not an expert , here’s me thinking you were an expert way you are  going on. The reason they are having a rough time is they are playing teams with better players. That’s how football works - if you have better players you in general win. The team will hopefully improve with experience of playing at these higher levels. Won’t happen overnight unless of course you intervene. 

I know about tactics. I’ve played the game and coached.

They’ve had some heavy defeats and need to do something different.

Manager says they were unfortunate after 5 1 thumping. 

Youre one of the few in this thread that thinks the tactics are fine. 

6 hours ago, jackwhite said:

He’s probably one of the coaching team…:whistling:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, jackwhite said:

So Jacko go tell the management team what to do. You seem to know all the answers.

On 10/1/2022 at 7:26 PM, Banker said:

Why should taxpayers subsidize FC Iom, what about all the other sports teams who have similar costs, Rubgy , golfers, athletics etc 

1. It's the most popular sport on the island

2. Any performance improvement in FC IOM will boost players in the Manx leagues

3. If FC IOM progress into higher leagues, more away supporters will travel over and boost hotels / restaurants / bars etc and boost the economy through the winter

4. A successful FC IOM team will boost home support / income and will improve the 'feel good factor' on the island

5. A successful FC IOM team will give younger players exposure / opportunities to play at a professional level in the uk

If FC IOM can progress up the leagues, and hopefully get into the English National League, i'd estimate away support will be a significant figure. Teams like Aldershot, Notts County, Southend, Chesterfield, Oldham etc will bring 400 / 500 supporters (yes, an increase in capacity will be required) over twice a month, and they will need a hotel and they will have a night out. 250 away fans spending £200 for 23 games is over £1m going back into the ecomomy!!  Many will stay the weekend and hopefully tell their friends how wonderful the Island is, and boost tourism even further.

I would imagine a turnover of £2m would be required in the EFL. 2,500 through the gate at £18 will give an income of £1m, shirt sponsorship £500k??, ground sponsorship £200k??, government sponsorship £500k??, TV money ?, FA Cup prize money?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, winnie said:

1. It's the most popular sport on the island

2. Any performance improvement in FC IOM will boost players in the Manx leagues

3. If FC IOM progress into higher leagues, more away supporters will travel over and boost hotels / restaurants / bars etc and boost the economy through the winter

4. A successful FC IOM team will boost home support / income and will improve the 'feel good factor' on the island

5. A successful FC IOM team will give younger players exposure / opportunities to play at a professional level in the uk

If FC IOM can progress up the leagues, and hopefully get into the English National League, i'd estimate away support will be a significant figure. Teams like Aldershot, Notts County, Southend, Chesterfield, Oldham etc will bring 400 / 500 supporters (yes, an increase in capacity will be required) over twice a month, and they will need a hotel and they will have a night out. 250 away fans spending £200 for 23 games is over £1m going back into the ecomomy!!  Many will stay the weekend and hopefully tell their friends how wonderful the Island is, and boost tourism even further.

I would imagine a turnover of £2m would be required in the EFL. 2,500 through the gate at £18 will give an income of £1m, shirt sponsorship £500k??, ground sponsorship £200k??, government sponsorship £500k??, TV money ?, FA Cup prize money?

I love your optimism...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Declan said:

Motorbike Racing?

Any local who wants to compete off island (and there are plenty, especially if you include trials and enduro) has to foot their own costs or find a sponsor.

Football of course has the huge advantage of the taxpayer paying for nearly every kid on the island getting a chance to learn the sport on taxpayer funded pitches in school time to find out if they like it or are any good at it.

1 hour ago, Anyone said:

That was as they say a real relegation 6 pointer. All they have to do is keep beating the teams below them , stay up and then onwards and upwards next season. It’ll come , this season was always going to be difficult.

wow, what a keen football strategist you are... Glad you're not my manager.

• Haha 1