Hartford to build 350 houses on greenfield

Noseyparker2090

2 hours ago, finlo said:

That's exactly what happened in Peel when Dandara started flooding the market with new builds.

All the new residents were mortgaged up to the hilt and never set foot or spent a penny in actual Peel as they couldn't afford to!

To be fair I am not sure that is true.

If I bought a house in Peel I would not spend any money there, not because I was skint, it would be because its Peel.

A shithole with a beach that is a shithole.....  🙂

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

Our older urban areas need redeveloping. It'll take the Thomas intellect to establish how this might be done - if it can be done at all

Our inner town terraces and ex boarding houses are at  end of useful life. Trouble is that they are still valued by some as worth fortunes.

The only way to sort this would be for government to buy out whole streets and re develop. This happens in other countries because they can see the social benefit and the betterment of areas which then encourages private money investment which has a snowball effect.

It wont happen here because the Manx don't like to see anyone getting money from government that they cant get.

The usual Crabby  attitude that has held the island back since the beginning of time........................

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Our inner town terraces and ex boarding houses are at  end of useful life. Trouble is that they are still valued by some as worth fortunes.

The only way to sort this would be for government to buy out whole streets and re develop. This happens in other countries because they can see the social benefit and the betterment of areas which then encourages private money investment which has a snowball effect.

It wont happen here because the Manx don't like to see anyone getting money from government that they cant get.

The usual Crabby  attitude that has held the island back since the beginning of time........................

And because everything over here that is old is deemed to be worth keeping just because it is old.  See the Cosy Nook and Waterfall recently, neither of which are actually that old or special in anyway.

• Like 1

Yes, that's it exactly

Someone was saying Castle Mona Avenue smells of damp - don't know if this is true or not! - which suggests compulsory purchase, demolition & complete replacement is needed

Will the GMP wear it?

It's the only way to end the unnecessary & biosphere destroying greenfield development

Award winning new low rise redevelopment in Stratford East London 👇

Edited by SleepyJoe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mollag said:

Bye the bye, i think there is an ancient hill fort just off the access road, the "purt" of Purt-e chee, has any mention been made of it's future ?, no news isn't always bad news.

I’d heard somebody mentioning the other day that Hartford had had archaeologists on the site a year/couple of years ago. How true that is I don’t know 

Edited by yorik
Speling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, James Blonde said:

The downfall of your view that they should all be spending ~50% of salary on mortgages is that it's really unhealthy for the local economy and at best naïve. 

The first part is that the local economy needs people of all ages to be contributing to it and spending money in shops, restaurants and entertainment venues. Keeping every last Scheckel for the bank isn't good and would just drain money out of the economy. 

The naïve part of your solution is that interest rates can and will rise in the foreseeable future if you've got ~50% of salary going on the mortgage already then that is only going to increase to a higher share. Tie that in with ever increasing energy and fuel costs then households are going to be squeezed beyond what's reasonable. 

Houses don't cost these eyewatering amounts to build. A small 2 bed home could be built for C.£190k on Government owned land - they can be sold with government backed 5% mortgages.  We need to progress this type of project and forget about your ideas of trickle down housing. 

I was simply pointing out that people whining about how hard it is to buy a house are deluded if they think it was easier twenty or thirty years ago.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Yes, that's it exactly

Someone was saying Castle Mona Avenue smells of damp - don't know if this is true or not! - which suggests compulsory purchase, demolition & complete replacement is needed

Will the GMP wear it?

It's the only way to end the unnecessary & biosphere destroying greenfield development

Award winning new low rise redevelopment in Stratford East London 👇

I believe there are some damp issues, but not sufficient to say it’s totally uninhabitable. These houses are old, and the issues are fixable, it needs DBC and Government working together. 

34 minutes ago, yorik said:

I’d heard somebody mentioning the other day that Hartford had had archaeologists on the site a year/couple of years ago. How true that is I don’t know 

Whatever was found will be dead and buried by now. Manx Archaeologists? Or UK Archaeologists? Since March 2020 the island was lockdowned. I wonder how long this development was in the pipeline for, and it was helped by the East Area Planning Hearing?

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

If I bought a house in Peel I would not spend any money there, not because I was skint, it would be because its Peel.

Why would you buy a house there then?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

Sure the sewage issue needs sorting out. But Peel is a lovely town. Most people in Britain would love to live somewhere like that.

The truth is that you're down on the Isle of Man in general. You could live anywhere on the planet but you choose to live somewhere you hate. That's barmy. Why waste your limited time here?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pongo said:

Sure the sewage issue needs sorting out. But Peel is a lovely town. Most people in Britain would love to live somewhere like that.

The truth is that you're down on the Isle of Man in general. You could live anywhere on the planet but you choose to live somewhere you hate. That's barmy. Why waste your limited time here?

Peel is the best place on the isle of Man ,thats provided the DOI don't ruin it unique characteristics , , leave the quayside alone no silly sticky out parking bays and don't ruin Micheal street  and Athol place by making it look like Milton keynes

I hope Crookall will put a stop to all this nonsense and a waste of money on nice to have's ,   Sewerage treatment  scheme yes , a business park , yes      more jobs in the west of the island ,  yes , 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Omobono said:

Peel is the best place on the isle of Man ,thats provided the DOI don't ruin it unique characteristics , , leave the quayside alone no silly sticky out parking bays and don't ruin Micheal street  and Athol place by making it look like Milton keynes

I hope Crookall will put a stop to all this nonsense and a waste of money on nice to have's ,   Sewerage treatment  scheme yes , a business park , yes      more jobs in the west of the island ,  yes , 

Is this what you mean by the business park?

image.png.a072b13f7d443ae4a5347d2cd2de0220.png

P

17 hours ago, pongo said:

Its not a "Lovely Town"

Lots of low life in the pubs on an evening and can you imagine going shopping there as a treat? - I cant, what can you imagine shopping there for a nice day out? ?  For what? Crisps? Maybe Crab baps but that hardly makes a town decent.

Have you ever been to somewhere like Penzance? North Berwick or Ripon?

Peel is like most of the islands towns, its fallen well below the worst shitholes in Northern England. See Blackburn, Oldham, Stoke etc etc because of lack of investment due to crabby attitudes.

Yes, I do have a downer on the island, I really find it distasteful to live here anymore and I say that sadly because it was once a place with the chance to modernise and make itself a decent place to live, it failed and I really don't see a way back.

It missed that chance by just spending a fortune on building up an unsustainable civil service and has politicians, that because of their independent nature, wont make controversial policy changes for fear of not being re elected. This has been made 10 times worse by the advent of social media too.

We survive because of the VAT agreement which seems still to be massively in our favour.

We cant raise taxes to pay for stuff and we are now borrowed up to the hilt with the MU (MEA) Half a billion and the recent 400 million "green" loan that was mostly spent on non green stuff before it was called that.

I have stated this a while ago but I am only here because I make good money*, as soon as I have got enough I  am off along with my family.

*Nobles hospital being the tipping point and main decider in that decision late in life.

Nobles is not fit for purpose but that's a whole other thread. 🙂

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1