Hartford to build 350 houses on greenfield

Noseyparker2090

7 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Housing crisis = anger and outrage

Developer building more houses = anger and outrage

No one else find this ironic?

The "crisis" is in low cost starter homes, which is not what is being proposed here for at least 75% of the development.

Low cost starter homes would be better built in town on brownfield sites.

This is like a countries population starving whilst their land is used to produce flowers for export.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

The "crisis" is in low cost starter homes, which is not what is being proposed here for at least 75% of the development.

This is like a countries population starving whilst their land is used to produce flowers for export.

You're still talking about almost 100 'starter' homes.  Better than nothing, which is exactly what will happen when everyone complains about this. 

Personally I doubt it would be commercially viable to build an entire estate of them.   They are a business remember.  

4 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Housing crisis = anger and outrage

Developer building more houses = anger and outrage

No one else find this ironic?

Yes very ironic.

Look at the beginning of this thread and the link for Hartford Homes proposal. It’s a mix of properties, but you can be guaranteed that they will max the site out - I don’t know how much the land is costing - getting their moneys worth, for maximum financial gain. Yes people want detached executive homes with gardens. There are many things I want - doesn’t mean that I will get it. 

What’s urgently required is the site at Park Road turned over for development, mainly for FTB and other tenures. Demesne Road and surrounding areas need to be secured for FTB and other tenures. Whether the new administration has the stomach to do something remains to be seen. Or it can carry on letting the developers dictate the tune, dictate their terms and how many affordable FTB homes should be built. Perhaps if they bare given ultimatums to agree to sensible rules. After all, there are plenty of other developers.

3 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

You're still talking about almost 100 'starter' homes.  Better than nothing, which is exactly what will happen when everyone complains about this. 

Personally I doubt it would be commercially viable to build an entire estate of them.   They are a business remember.  

I think they use the term "affordable" which may or may not be the same thing.

It should be 100% starter homes as that is where the shortage is , if it is not viable for them then that is their problem. Any government assistance should be for brownfield sites only first

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

By building houses people can step up the ladder to you free up more starter homes don’t you?

None of the young people I know want to live in town. If they do there are an absolute load of apartments available.

Normally people on here are whining about all the apartments on the prom. Now they try and build houses for people to step up to and people whinge about that as well.

They will all sell.  They are needed.  They may not be to your taste but they are what people want.

Those modern town houses at the bottom or Murray’s road/Glen Falcon.  When they come up for sale do they sell as quickly as a similar sized semi in Farmhill or Governor’s Hill?

No they don’t. Ever wondered why?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

By building houses people can step up the ladder to you free up more starter homes don’t you?

For all my adult life they have been building "first time buyers " houses so if your argument is true then we should have enough of them anyway already.

We should not be building on greenfield sites whilst there are brownfield sites undeveloped. If you want a house you have to get what you can afford, if that is a town house/apartment and they are the only thing available then that is what you have to have at first.

The last thing we should be doing is encouraging commuting (which for any sane person will be by motor car) if we are going to be a green economy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Those modern town houses at the bottom of Murray’s road/Glen Falcon. When they come up for sale do they sell as quickly as a similar sized semi in Farmhill or Governor’s Hill?

No they don’t. Ever wondered why?

If you've been keeping a sharp eye on sales and completions for these areas please provide a comparision. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, quilp said:

If you've been keeping a sharp eye on sales and completions for these areas please provide a comparision. 

Manxliving.com has most of the houses for sale on island.

Change the list order to “newest first” then start on the last page as those are the ones that have been for sale for ages.

They will mainly be town houses and cottages.  Anything on these sorts of estates gets snapped up pretty quickly unless the price is insane

1 minute ago, Ramseyboi said:

Manxliving.com has most of the houses for sale on island.

Change the list order to “newest first” then start on the last page as those are the ones that have been for sale for ages.

They will mainly be town houses and cottages.  Anything on these sorts of estates gets snapped up pretty quickly unless the price is insane

If the town houses are not selling which you imply then surely the price should fall so that they will be available as starter homes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

If the town houses are not selling which you imply then surely the price should fall so that they will be available as starter homes.

That banks aren't very willing to lend on, because they are old.

People want modern homes on greenfield sites that are easy to heat and maintain.  Thats a fact 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Those modern town houses 

5 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

That banks aren't very willing to lend on, because they are old.

So which are they modern or old?

If all that is available for starter homes is in town then that is what they will have to choose if they want to get on the housing ladder.

As I said before we should not be encouraging commuting.

If what you say is true about lots of apartments being available then there is no crisis for starter homes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

If all that is available for starter homes is in town then that is what they will have to choose if they want to get on the housing ladder.

If what you say is true about lots of apartments being available then there is no crisis for starter homes

There are lots of apartments- modern ones, all over Douglas, especially the Promenade, Palace Terrace, Mona Terrace, The Esplanade. There are cheaper 2/3 bed property on Castle Mona Avenue, and you can’t get more convenient than that - takeaways and convenience stores on your doorstep. Not forgetting the Spectrum Apartments and the Apartments on Queens Promenade. All new build. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

I understand that people wanting 'starter' homes, wish for them to be detached, in the country, with a garage, garden, hot tub, tennis court, day spa, dog grooming room, maze, swimming pool, stables and helipad.

But the government has to pay for it. 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1