Hartford to build 350 houses on greenfield

Noseyparker2090

1 hour ago, Ramseyboi said:

I assume you don’t mean on people’s actual family homes?

50% that you wouldn’t be able to mortgage on a very standard modest family home!!

No, just on new builds. It would incentivise the building of new first time buyer homes. Then cash buyers can buy older stock than lenders may be less willing to give a 95% mortgage on. 

3 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

And?

Not everyone wants or is able to buy.

I have rented in the past.  Suited me down to the ground at the time.  No landlords means no rental properties and we need them.  Lots of them.  Have you seen how quickly a decent rental gets snapped up?  People are literally waiting for them to become available 

There's massive disparity between those who want to rent through choice, and those who are forced to rent because of the lack of first time buyers housing stock. 

Government need to take the kid gloves off and get a real solution. Either direct provision by building houses on land held in the Government land bank or high taxes on new developments of anything other than first time buyers. 

Removing the people who want to buy a house from the rental market will increase the supply of homes available to those who willingly choose to rent. Win win win. 

Edited by James Blonde
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Is one of the problems contributing to the housing crisis the unwillingness of banks to give mortgages on older properties. We looked at a lot of houses in town, the old streets and terraces off Bucks Road and all the ones we looked at were basically for cash buyers.  Maybe that is all the estate agents showed us as we were cash buyers and thought it was a good opportunity to shift them.    My brother bought his first wreck at 21 with a mortgage 40 years ago (across) and worked his way up to a beautiful detatched home several properties later.  Seems here people want to buy a 3 bed new build semi as their first home.... and if that is the only option they have to get a mortgage I can see why.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

There's massive between those who want to rent through choice, and those who are forced to rent because of the lack of first time buyers housing stock. 

Government need to take the kid gloves off and get a real solution. Either direct provision by building houses on land held in the Government land bank or high taxes on new developments of anything other than first time buyers. 

Removing the people who want to buy a house from the rental market will increase the supply of homes available to those who willingly choose to rent. Win win win. 

How does that help a local family of five looking to spend 4 to 600k on a four bed detached house?  That is not exactly an unusual circumstance.

4 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Nope because they rarely even hit the. agents sites these days.

Look at the numerous local property Facebook groups where people are asking for rental properties because they can’t find any.

Just had a look at manxliving

18 rentals island wide for 3 bed under £1500 a month.  10 of those are “let agreed”.

All of the modern houses are already let.  The 8 remaining are old or apartments.

There is a desperate shortage of decent rental properties.  People don’t want to rent an old house that is going to cost a fortune to heat.

9 minutes ago, quilp said:

Examples? 

2 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Nope because they rarely even hit the. agents sites these days.

Look at the numerous local property Facebook groups where people are asking for rental properties because they can’t find any.

Agreed.  I happily rented 3 properties for around 10 years total up until about 5 years ago. 

Two of these were found through friends of friends etc because it was so difficult to find something reasonable that wasn't snapped up right away.  I'm guessing it's still a similar scenario.

Lets face it, the vast majority of issues many people have with rental landlords is due to jealousy.  They seem to be regarded as some sort of evil, rich property hoarders.  In my experience renting 3 properties, only one landlord was someone who owned many properties.  The other two were people who moved away or had legacy family properties.  

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, quilp said:

Wow, just how many local families of 5 (the magic number 5!) are desperately looking to spend 4 to 600k on a four bed detached house?

Do they really need help?

Sounds like sheight to me... 

Glen Vine. Royal Park. Peel. Farmhill. Ballasalla. Glen Maye. Port Erin. Lonan etc.

Loads of houses in that price bracket owned by people who have moved up and freed up smaller houses for another younger family.

If you tax new builds in that bracket you stop the freeing up of smaller houses and drive those families off island.

Edited by Ramseyboi

3 hours ago, James Blonde said:

smaller usually equals older in that situation. The logic is there but it's a bit like trickle down economics - it seldom works. 

And the irony of all this is that a proportion of the soon to be pensioners who live in the 5 bedroom properties want to downsize but can't because of a lack of suitable smaller properties. The housing mix is FUBAR. Until the end of the supply chain is dealt with the younger ones coming in at the start of that chain stand no chance. We need to encourage the older generation to move into smaller units so that bigger properties can be put on the market. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’ve got no issues with houses going up on sheep fields.  They are completely devoid of wildlife anyway.  But my thoughts are

-how many mature trees and established hedges do they plan to destroy

-they need to only plant native bushes/ trees in the developmemt

-plastic chav grass must be banned on the site

those 3 would help to increase wildlife from a sheep field.

infrastructure wise

-tt access road won’t work with that additional traffic

-those planned access roads to the estate won’t work in morning rush hour unless rbs

-don’t see how palatine and the local schools could cope. 
-would need some way to cross peel road for pedestrians as it’s near impossible from that side going south at the moment In rush hour. An underpass is the only way I can see that works since they don’t like painting on the tt course.

Oh and buy to let must be restricted to maximum 10% of the estate initially and a 10 year restriction on being able to let out once bought. 

Edited by spanna
  • Thanks 2

I have been down in that vicinity mid morning today and traffic wise it was busy.   The thought of adding the vehicles from 350 properties is madness, I live in an ordinary neighbourhood but all the properties have a car most have two which covers work vans etc.   The close proximity to the Hospital has to be considered as well as a school.   I cannot believe this plan was not screwed up and aimed at the bin at birth.   It is totally unviable but we all know the next step it will be amended and about 200 houses will be proposed which will probably go through on the nod as it is a better outcome…which of course it is not.   The housing we need is social housing, poverty on the Island is rife amongst people , who have no choice, that are paying astronomical rents to buy to let landlords who need the money to pay the mortgages they have taken out on them.    There is talk of interest rates going up if they do the situation will really be dire.   There will be a load of repossessions and evictions.

• Thanks 4