Douglas Kerbside Recycling and Waste Collection Survey

Amadeus

Just now, Ramseyboi said:

Still doesn’t mean there is any issue with it in Douglas if it allowed the town hall to keep spending a bit more under control.

Spending needs to be reined in, starting with the Mayor's hospitality budget and chauffeur driven car for starters. 

But on topic, not all properties have space to stockpile waste for 2 weeks and rely on the weekly collection. Promenade apartments for example. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

just done the survey and what they seem to be after to me is an alternate collection, 1 week grey bin, 1 week recycling with the possibility of a green waste bin following the patterns of councils across (my inlaws have 4 bins for example).

Personally the collection is fine for me as it is but then i live in a house with a yard and place to put my bin, that being said i don't want to fill my yard with 13 different bins all collected on a different schedule depending on the direction of the wind.

As its Douglas i fully expect them to go for the most expensive options and probably the most inconvenient then stick our rates up by another 2% to pay for it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Chief said:

just done the survey and what they seem to be after to me is an alternate collection, 1 week grey bin, 1 week recycling with the possibility of a green waste bin following the patterns of councils across (my inlaws have 4 bins for example).

Personally the collection is fine for me as it is but then i live in a house with a yard and place to put my bin, that being said i don't want to fill my yard with 13 different bins all collected on a different schedule depending on the direction of the wind.

As its Douglas i fully expect them to go for the most expensive options and probably the most inconvenient then stick our rates up by another 2% to pay for it.

Exactly. @Amadeus don't try to fix what isn't broken! 

• Haha 1

There should surely be the option to opt for fortnightly (or even 3 weekly?) collection with attendant Rates reduction if it is wanted, across all authorities. If you only need a fortnightly collection, why should you pay for weekly?

It presently means that those who are producing less refuse are just effectively subsidising those who can't even get their binlids down every week? No incentive to produce less waste?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

There should surely be the option to opt for fortnightly (or even 3 weekly?) collection with attendant Rates reduction if it is wanted, across all authorities. If you only need a fortnightly collection, why should you pay for weekly?

It presently means that those who are producing less refuse are just effectively subsidising those who can't even get their binlids down every week? No incentive to produce less waste?

It's a good idea but I imagine it would be tricky to administer.

1 hour ago, James Blonde said:

Exactly. @Amadeus don't try to fix what isn't broken! 

Yeah but it kind of is broken. Look in any grey bin and it's typically full of paper and card.

However, if we recycled all the paper and card would it all be lumped together again to keep the EFW plant running. 

If we took out all the wood, plastic, paper, card out would the effing thing go out?

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

Yeah but it kind of is broken. Look in any grey bin and it's typically full of paper and card.

However, if we recycled all the paper and card would it all be lumped together again to keep the EFW plant running. 

If we took out all the wood, plastic, paper, card out would the effing thing go out?

It is all recycled by the EFW to create electricity. 

All this is doing is adding an extra layer of bureaucracy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

It's a good idea but I imagine it would be tricky to administer.

Not really. Bin wagons are laden with weighing and recording equipment to register bin emptying already. When it goes fully active it won't even allow a wagon to "lift" a bin that's not registered to the relevant authority.

In the near future, if not already, it wouldn't be hard to programme a lift only once a fortnight...if the bin was put out deliberately or in error, the wagon wouldn't empty it if it wasn't in the correct week.

It makes me wonder how much authorities "make" on charging for weekly refuse collection? They are charged by weight at the incinerator gate; that's currently borne by everybody, regardless of weight produced per household.