Douglas Kerbside Recycling and Waste Collection Survey

Amadeus

On 1/31/2022 at 9:14 PM, cissolt said:

Exporting waste for recycling is apparently a green solution.

I suspect with the proliferation of greenies in local authorities we will see more green stealth taxes appearing.  At a time when people can't least afford it we are being laden with the burdens of the green party.

Did you ever see the programme on the waste plastic that we "export" to the Far East for "recycling"? Huge areas of plastic discarded by UK and Europe disfiguring other people's landscapes. There were "moves" on to have it cleaned up and returned IIRC.

Leaving aside the "everything can be recycled" point of view, the general opinion of gov. type people is that stuff in the bins is pollution and that people who put stuff in bins are creating pollution.

Everything that goes into my bin are the remnants of things I have bought. I could reduce my pollution-footprint to zero by not buying anything - although the local take-away pizza business would not be pleased.

So on the one hand we have gov. encouraging people to spend money and keep local businesses going, and on the other hand the gov. is accusing people of creating pollution.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

They don't need to if what they're looking for is in a flimsy bin bag next to the bin?

Well, people shouldn't put bin bags out.  They shouldn't now, let alone when they are making full use of recycling.

As I said before, have been through this 20 odd years ago and that was in an area with plenty of urban foxes who were much more destructive and hungry.  

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Recycling and EFW plants are incompatible, especially with our small population. Neither option is suitable for Mann, it has to be one or the other. I wish they'd stop fecking around and just put it all through the EFW plant and be done with it. 

Have a hard time burning all that metal and glass.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Recycling and EFW plants are incompatible, especially with our small population. Neither option is suitable for Mann, it has to be one or the other. I wish they'd stop fecking around and just put it all through the EFW plant and be done with it. 

Again it's the broken local authority system. 

You have 22 different bodies all pulling in different directions, that will never make for a cohesive or effective strategy. 

• Like 2

We've had fortnightly alternating general waste and recycling collections for almost 20 years, and it's never been any sort of problem - despite me feeling sure it would be when they were first introduced.  (I was wrong!)

The only issue during the first 5 years or so of fortnightly collections was that we didn't have proper recycling wheelie bins - just a green box with a lid that was only marginally bigger than a beer crate  or milk bottle crate. That sounds like what you've got on the IoM at the moment and they're useless.  You must have a proper wheelie bin for recycling.

The other thing we have is a WEEKLY food waste collection.  For that we have two "caddies".  A smaller one (about the capacity of a shoe-box) that stays in the kitchen, and a larger one (similar in capacity to a large bucket) that stays ouside and into which you transfer waste from the kitchen caddy.  It works well, although we generate very little food waste as we eat everything we buy.  The only stuff that goes into our food waste are vegetable peelings, apple cores, banana skins, compostable PG Tips tea bags, and the very occasional bit of food we've let go rotten.

If we recycle everything properly* and use our food waste collection properly, we have no issues at all about alternating fortnightly collections.  We hardly ever fill our general waste wheelie bin now.  I missed a collection over Christmas and New Year because I forgot the correct collection day so we went four weeks before a collection.  No problem.

But if you try to introduce it on the island I suspect it will only work properly if you bring in proper recycling wheelie bins and a separate food waste collection.

All general waste needs to go in the appropriate wheelie bin.  If you leave it by the side of the bin in a bag, they won't take it.  We have a lot of urban foxes and if you do leave anything out in a bin bag it doesn't stay in the bag long anyway. They're more accepting of recycling that won't fit in the bin like very large cardboard boxes that won't fit no matter how you fold them.

As regards dirty disposable nappies, I presume they go in the general waste.  All our council website says about them is that you mustn't put them in the recycling - so I presume they must therefore go in the general waste.  We have neighbours with young families who must use nappies and there is no problem I'm aware of.  Maybe they don't use disposables...

I'm all for fortnightly collections and reducing the amount of general waste, and I'm not even particularly "green" or some sort of eco-warrior.  It just seems to make sense.

Oh - and since all this was introduced the standard and level of service of our refuse collection has increased beyond recognition.

*If you only have a limited recycling collection on the island then that is a PITA.  Our council collects: plastic bottles, paper (including shredded paper - which may interest David Ashford!), cardboard, glass bottles and jars, tetra pak cartons, aluminium foil and trays, empty aerosols, plastic pots, tubs and trays, steel and aluminium cans.

Edited by Ghost Ship
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Again it's the broken local authority system. 

You have 22 different bodies all pulling in different directions, that will never make for a cohesive or effective strategy. 

Ah.  Well that's an obvious problem.  In a place the size of the Isle of Man there's no reason not to have a single, shared waste and recycling strategy.  All parts of the island need to be doing the same thing