Douglas Kerbside Recycling and Waste Collection Survey

Amadeus

28 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Some form of Parks and Recreational Department/Body. 

We all know that nothing should ever be given to the organisation known as the DOI (quite the opposite it should be disbanded).

But that shouldn't limit our thinking in terms of how services are delivered on the island. 

There would be a lot of synergies and efficiency savings to be had by combining them all. They could deal with all the 'nice to haves' that central government shouldn't be getting distracted and bogged down with. 

I agree with your sentiments but just wonder how you'd stop it being another bloat ridden setup top heavy with managers and deputy managers. I know thats what indirectly we have currently but still have doubts with the mentality that exists in management circles . Find someone to head it up with intregity and a firm work ethic and I'm onboard for sure .    

3 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I agree with your sentiments but just wonder how you'd stop it being another bloat ridden setup top heavy with managers and deputy managers. I know thats what indirectly we have currently but still have doubts with the mentality that exists in management circles . Find someone to head it up with intregity and a firm work ethic and I'm onboard for sure .    

It would be a big ask for sure. It would all need to be totally transparent to prevent any empire building (IOM Transport and their £4.5m slush fund *cough* sorry, capital budget). 

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2022 at 7:15 AM, Non-Believer said:

New ECAS for Braddan.

Screenshot_20220225-070534_Facebook.jpg

Maximum capacity has been reached again. The Pulrose site is closed again due to "technical" reasons. No mention of it on their Faceache page so I've just wasted fuel and time going there only to turn round and head back home. Twats!

Additionally, all of the bins at the Onchan Hub car park are overflowing..... again!

We do our best to be good citizens and recycle all the usual stuff but we're at the point of giving up and just putting everything in the wheelie bin from now on. 

The recycling and EfW policy is a shambles. Umpteen millions spent with no discernible benefit to either the rate or tax payer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Maximum capacity has been reached again. The Pulrose site is closed again due to "technical" reasons. No mention of it on their Faceache page so I've just wasted fuel and time going there only to turn round and head back home. Twats!

Additionally, all of the bins at the Onchan Hub car park are overflowing..... again!

We do our best to be good citizens and recycle all the usual stuff but we're at the point of giving up and just putting everything in the wheelie bin from now on. 

The recycling and EfW policy is a shambles. Umpteen millions spent with no discernible benefit to either the rate or tax payer. 

Braddan have 2 weekly kerbside collections for recycling, very efficient! 
also you can take green waste to collection point at Braddan school on Saturdays

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

"... £66,000 it could be more, it could be less" was Hazel Hannan's reply when asked about the 'debt' but hey-ho the commissioner's now have a financial officer to take care of stuff like this.

Santon seem to have something of an idea about recycling with residents doing their bit.

Definitely worth listening to the recorded statements in that article.

Can't the debt be paid out of that £42million bequeathed to Caine's budget? Surely it's all part of a bigger picture? 

6 minutes ago, quilp said:

"... £66,000 it could be more, it could be less" was Hazel Hannan's reply when asked about the 'debt' but hey-ho the commissioner's now have a financial officer to take care of stuff like this.

Santon seem to have something of an idea about recycling with residents doing their bit.

Definitely worth listening to the recorded statements in that article.

Can't the debt be paid out of that £42million bequeathed to Caine's budget? Surely it's all part of a bigger picture? 

the governments whole waste management policy has become a joke ,and its time  the whole issue was properly reviewed ,I cant believe with the huge increase in transport  and shipping costs  its not more cost effective  to burn  paper and other combustable material in the EFW plant ,and the government should be looking again at a reduction in the gate prices 

4 minutes ago, Omobono said:

the governments whole waste management policy has become a joke ,and its time  the whole issue was properly reviewed ,I cant believe with the huge increase in transport  and shipping costs  its not more cost effective  to burn  paper and other combustable material in the EFW plant ,and the government should be looking again at a reduction in the gate prices 

Agree 100% we’re stuck with the cost of the Incinerator and it’s getting so bad that local authorities can’t even afford to get rid of their rubbish anymore. And the solution proposed is to recycle more .. which means even less rubbish is burned and so gate fees go up even more. It’s madness. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
On 1/26/2022 at 6:20 PM, Amadeus said:

The savings come from the amount the EFW facility is changing us. Green waste costs about half of what black bin stuff costs at the gate. This is not a reduced service and the cuts headline by the BBC is wrong. The same amount of refuse is being collected but instead of 600,000 general refuse and 100,000 green refuse loads, it might now be 400,000 and 200,000 or more. This type of thing is totally normal in loads of other places and we’ve been years behind on this. It’s good for the environment and saves money. It’s an improvement over current conditions as recycling rates go up. 

But green waste is only being collected in the summer months. Are we going to have weekly general collections back in the winter to make this true? 

• Thanks 1