Douglas Kerbside Recycling and Waste Collection Survey

Amadeus

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

The fees are different for green and general waste. Green is less than half the fee per ton of general waste.

If I'm already recycling- and I am- then how does that make any difference? It's the same amount of refuse, it just gets to ferment in my bin for two weeks instead of one. Great for ringies, not so great for anyone else.

It's almost as though the brains trust at the Corpy haven't thought this through.

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

2) They will be burning even more oil in the incinerator to make up for the drop in waste (how eco friendly is that?

As we saw last year, when the first lockdown ended, when the amenity site staff just separated waste into "burnable" and "not burnable". So all that wood and cardboard went up to Suez, and even then Suez still had to turn the plant off for weeks as there wasn't enough waste.

I could go along with this it would mean not having to travel to the recycling bins.   In Onchan we do not have kerbside collection it did not work as was once a month and the recycling stuff would be hanging around in the garage.   This scheme would suit me as I live alone but bigger families may struggle.   I have started using the new washing sheets of paper instead of detergent and they are ok the washing smells ok and is clean and avoids plastic bottles.   My pet hate is single use water bottles nothing wrong with Manx water.

6 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Agreed Dandara could get 1000 houses on there and we could have rates surplus.

They offered to build a completely new course & clubhouse on land near incinerator but DBC turned it down .

DBC subsidy to golf course is ridiculous when there’s numerous golf courses on the island all open to new members 

Edited by Banker

I don't know if things have changed, this might be out of date, but when the amenity sites started their separate cardboard skips it wasn't to send it to recycling. It was because it attracted a lower gate fee at the incinerator. Classed as an 'eco fuel'.

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I could go along with this it would mean not having to travel to the recycling bins.   In Onchan we do not have kerbside collection it did not work as was once a month and the recycling stuff would be hanging around in the garage.   This scheme would suit me as I live alone but bigger families may struggle.   I have started using the new washing sheets of paper instead of detergent and they are ok the washing smells ok and is clean and avoids plastic bottles.   My pet hate is single use water bottles nothing wrong with Manx water.

Corporation pop!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Raffles said:

This has already been covered, there are ways to increase the waste burnt at the incinerator, such as prohibiting the unregulated burning of waste. Currently, a lot of waste is burnt in open air fires by business and individuals. 

Plastic, glass and metal doesnt burn well in any case.

This is very true, some of the commercial recycler businesses here burn stuff on a regular basis, shocking toxic chemicals are released.

On the same subject, when oh when are we getting emission testing for cars? I followed a knackers engine BMW diesel over the mountain this week and every time it floored the accelerator its exaust actually left a soot trail on the road..........

3 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

As we saw last year, when the first lockdown ended, when the amenity site staff just separated waste into "burnable" and "not burnable". So all that wood and cardboard went up to Suez, and even then Suez still had to turn the plant off for weeks as there wasn't enough waste.

I would hope the next generation of energy from waste plant  ( and we will need one )  unless were going back to landfill will include district heating ,and  the whole of the business park  B and Q   ,Anagh coar  and the areas above Fort North   can be provided with district hot water heating  , this happens in many Scandinavian countries the UK  and in Orkney ,  the existing plant and operating agreement are coming to the end of life or require an upgrade , so an opportunity must exist there  to fully examine this prospect 

Re the Energy from waste plant.

Can you as a member of the general public just turn up with a load of burnable waste in a van say., and just unload it there?

I’ve  rung the number given by SUEZ for waste management queries for an answer many times but nobody picks up the phone.

Any answers gratefully received 

24 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Can you as a member of the general public just turn up with a load of burnable waste in a van say., and just unload it there?

I’ve  rung the number given by SUEZ for waste management queries for an answer many times but nobody picks up the phone.

I'd say insurance and ability to sort and check your load might be the issue. Pretty sure you cant just go up there as a member of public with a van full etc 

9 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No. That's what amenity sites are for.

9 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I think you can by arrangement but they charge you

9 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

I'd say insurance and ability to sort and check your load might be the issue. Pretty sure you cant just go up there as a member of public with a van full etc 

Depends on the waste. If its generated in you line of trade then you have no other choice

1 minute ago, Raffles said:

No. That's what amenity sites are for.

hats right. Why go and pay at the EFW plant when the amenity sites take it and pay for you

13 hours ago, Omobono said:

I would hope the next generation of energy from waste plant  ( and we will need one )  unless were going back to landfill will include district heating ,and  the whole of the business park  B and Q   ,Anagh coar  and the areas above Fort North   can be provided with district hot water heating  , this happens in many Scandinavian countries the UK  and in Orkney ,  the existing plant and operating agreement are coming to the end of life or require an upgrade , so an opportunity must exist there  to fully examine this prospect 

Why. There is no waste heat from the EFW plant is there?. The technology there is the latest. Waste heat is used to heat up water for the steam turbine isn't it and recycled round. I might be wrong but I do not see any cooling tanks. I think you might be getting mixed up with older technologies

https://suez.co.im/what-we-do/energy-recovery/how-energy-recovery-works/

Energy-from-waste process

Edited by Happier diner

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Why. There is no waste heat from the EFW plant is there?. The technology there is the latest. Waste heat is used to heat up water for the steam turbine isn't it and recycled round. I might be wrong but I do not see any cooling tanks. I think you might be getting mixed up with older technologies

https://suez.co.im/what-we-do/energy-recovery/how-energy-recovery-works/

Energy-from-waste process

The waste hot water from the turbine is used to cool the waste gases. No waste heat.