Douglas Kerbside Recycling and Waste Collection Survey

Amadeus

13 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Amenity sites won’t take what I’m wanting to dispose of. It’s domestic not business waste.

Amenity sites are there to take domestic waste, it's one of the components of your domestic rates. It's the taking of business waste that they're trying to prevent/discourage.

As long as you can convince them or prove that it's domestic waste then they should accept it.

I've openly put old tyres in skips at the NCAS, they're taken to the incinerator and burned. Commercial garage concerns rock up at the incinerator by arrangement too and offload vanfulls of old tyres into the pit, I've seen it happen. The tyres often get looped on the fingers of the grab and have to be cut off periodically.

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I've openly put old tyres in skips at the NCAS, they're taken to the incinerator and burned. Commercial garage concerns rock up at the incinerator by arrangement too and offload vanfulls of old tyres into the pit, I've seen it happen. The tyres often get looped on the fingers of the grab and have to be cut off periodically.

Tyres are brilliant at maintaining a constant level of heat. Shredded tyre is used quite widely in cement factory kilns around the world.

Although they do emit a lot of toxic stuff, some of which evades scrubbers and so is not eco-friendly at all.

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I was refused a tyre at the civic when asked what I should do with it was advised to chuck it over a hedge!

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The IOM Government website Civic Amenity site page says

” civic amenity sites are not able to accept any car on motorbike tyres for disposal. These tyres require bespoke storage and handling which the facilities unable to provide. Please take all tyres to a professional tyre fitter where old tires will be disposed of responsibly”

So I assumed that was the case

I've quite openly put both car and bike tyres in skips at NCAS and never been picked up for it, they end up in the same place, the EFW. Having said that, the last time was about a year ago so maybe the rules have changed?

35 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Tyres

I managed to offload one there once.  The guy told me I couldn't, but when I pointed out that they were using them as buffers to stop the skips crashing into the walls he turned a blind eye to me adding to their collection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

The IOM Government website Civic Amenity site page says

” civic amenity sites are not able to accept any car on motorbike tyres for disposal. These tyres require bespoke storage and handling which the facilities unable to provide. Please take all tyres to a professional tyre fitter where old tires will be disposed of responsibly”

So I assumed that was the case

Yes. The sign at Eastern says no tyres. I was there last week and a geezer turned up with some tyres

Says to Amenity man at skips "Where do I put tyres mate?"

"In the general waste buddy"

" Cheers"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1